The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So - Who Should The Canucks Take At The Number 9 Spot?

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

13 hours ago, Schmautzie said:

I think he means that like Shinkaruk his skills may not translate to the NHL level. If you read the last line of the linked article about Johnson it states that his skill set and slickness “will become futile against a team or system where space is at a premium”. If the Canucks do draft him hopefully he can become a Brayden Point type of player and prove his doubters wrong.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSoeEySSP1oUkMc-_1XFve

13 hours ago, Schmautzie said:

I think he means that like Shinkaruk his skills may not translate to the NHL level. If you read the last line of the linked article about Johnson it states that his skill set and slickness “will become futile against a team or system where space is at a premium”. If the Canucks do draft him hopefully he can become a Brayden Point type of player and prove his doubters wrong.

Canucks loved Trevor Zegras in the 2019 draft because of his high end skill set , creativity and hockey IO. He has displayed these qualities last season in the games he played. To me Kent Johnson's game is very similar to Trevor Zegras game. Kent Johnson is highly creative with the puck , has tremedous skill , skates very well and has one of the highest hockey IO's in this years draft class and not to mention he has the ability to score,  a point per game production in the NCAA.

He is projected to become a winger in the NHL whereas Zegras will remain in the middle. I am absolutely convinced that Kent Johnson's qualities will translate very well to the NHL.

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

So, aside from this absolutely stupid covid year, I am sure Horvat has seen a incredible improvement in talent over the last 3 years, and sees the potential of his team, I am sure that when he looks at the teams future and looks around the league, he sees us set up to some degree. I think that will play into any hopes and dreams. In the end it will be a tug of war, between Bo's wallet and his heart.

In saying that, we need an endless stream of ELC's coming in to supplement, the veterans and their large contracts, so Benning needs to be careful. In addition, just look how hard it is to get a Cernak or any other young developed Dman in trade. It is not just that easy, and any asset used to get one, is then subtracted from another area.

"IF" a 9th OA was to be traded, it should be for a young NHL player who will be with us for a long time. Obtaining a 3rd line center can be done through free agency or trade, as the asset is not as great. In saying that, if we were to get McTavish or Svechkov with our 9th, either directly or trading down, I would be happy enough. 

But what I really want is the Canucks to go hard on picking RHD prospects, and then use their 2022 and 2023 picks to pick up players who would be available because of the Seattle Expansion Draft. IMO, with the addition of Podkolzin, the maturing of our young players, the addition of any Expansion player pick ups, our cap clearing up, and any UFA's we may pick up, I honestly do not see us bottom feeding from now on.

A caution I would throw out is how long before another expansion team is sold? If Seattle paid $650 million is $1 Billion far away? Pretty attractive payday for team owners. Not just the cash they receive but also the increased valuation of their own franchises. Many pundits have said a 2nd franchise in the TO area would bring in +1 Billion $'s. Putting my tin foil hat on there is a very good business case for the Vegas team to win the CUP. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Seems like we very likely to have three of Gunther, Eklund, Lysell, Wallstadt, Johnson, Lambos, Cuelemans at nine to pick from.  

I wonder which of these guys would be highest on Benning’s list?  

who would Jim have had the chance to watch the most?

BPA by Position?

C - Beniers, McTavish, Lucius, Sillinger, Raty, Svechkov

RW/LW - Eklund, Guenther, Johnson, Lysell, Coronato

D - Power, Clarke, Hughes, Lambos, Edvinsson, Ceulemans

G - Wallstedt, Cossa

• Like 1

Beniers and McTavish will go high - the best Cs. 

Power, Clarke and Hughes will probably go high - the best Ds

Wallstedt might be picked before #9 too

Lots to like about Guenther and Eklund, but I would prefer the Canucks don't take a winger with the high 1st. They desperately need a Centre.  D is also much needed, but any D in htis Draft will take years to become an NHL player. (except maybe Power)  I remember when Jet Woo was drafted, feels like 20 years ago. lol 

Should VAN take a chance on Lucius or Sillinger?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not sure, but I would trust our SHL scouts that gave us Petey and Hoglander. 

I was surprised Inge Hammarstrom was the Swedish scout who first noticed Petey.  Not sure who saw Hogs first.  But yes, our Swedish scouts are good, so if they like Edvinsson, Lysell, and Eklund then I’m fine with one of those three at 9.  

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Beniers and McTavish will go high - the best Cs. 

Power, Clarke and Hughes will probably go high - the best Ds

Wallstedt might be picked before #9 too

Lots to like about Guenther and Eklund, but I would prefer the Canucks don't take a winger with the high 1st. They desperately need a Centre.  D is also much needed, but any D in htis Draft will take years to become an NHL player. (except maybe Power)  I remember when Jet Woo was drafted, feels like 20 years ago. lol 

Should VAN take a chance on Lucius or Sillinger?

Who are the guys left for us at 9?  If it’s Lucius, Sillinger, and Edvinsson then don’t we take the guy with the highest upside - Edvinsson?  

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Who are the guys left for us at 9?  If it’s Lucius, Sillinger, and Edvinsson then don’t we take the guy with the highest upside - Edvinsson?  

Yeah, I don't know, a lot are thinking Johnson could be the #9 pick. Such a high risk IMO, especially this being an important Draft for Benning and the team. Flubbing this one could have repercussions.  Guenther seems like a safe pick, but he's a pure winger (like Boeser). With Hoglander, Podkolzin and Lind now in the mix, is a winger the best choice? 

I guess there are options. They could draft Guenther, for example, and maybe trade Boeser for a Centre or Dman down the road, kind of thing.

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yeah, I don't know, a lot are thinking Johnson could be the #9 pick. Such a high risk IMO, especially this being an important Draft for Benning and the team. Flubbing this one could have repercussions.  Guenther seems like a safe pick, but he's a pure winger (like Boeser). With Hoglander, Podkolzin and Lind now in the mix, is a winger the best choice? 

I guess there are options. They could draft Guenther, for example, and maybe trade Boeser for a Centre or Dman down the road, kind of thing.

If Guenther is available you take him and run. He's one of my favorite players this draft. I'm totally ok with Benning drafting Johnson. It's a homerun swing. He does have high bust potential. But at this point I would rather Benning be still swinging for the fences then playing it safe. Means he's thinking about the future of the team, not his job security.

All that being said, I'm not actually a Johnson fan personally. But I would be perfectly fine with him as out pick if he is BPA at our pick.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Seems like we very likely to have three of Gunther, Eklund, Lysell, Wallstadt, Johnson, Lambos, Cuelemans at nine to pick from.  

I wonder which of these guys would be highest on Benning’s list?  

If Eklund is there, we are laughing. Easily the BPA should he fall to 9th.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We might like Eklund, but does Benning?  

I know it's an unusual drafting situation this year, but the 1st round isn't going to be as wild as many believe. It'll be the latter rounds (or even late 1st) where picks could go anywhere. I think the top 15 is pretty much set aside from a reach from a team and a few personal decisions to bump around the players in that top 15. I can't see Eklund falling to 9th.

NJ has Holtz who has played with Eklund. Detroit is heavy on the Swedish scouting and I'd be shocked if he makes it past them unless they're really high on Wallstedt. If Eklund isn't on Benning's list and somehow slips past us as well. There's going to be a very happy team past us.