The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So - Who Should The Canucks Take At The Number 9 Spot?

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

57 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

If somehow JB can swing a deal to get a real top notch 3rd line center from the ED then im all in on trading our 9OA for a top 6 forward or Dman.

To be honest, I'm not entirely on board with this idea as I'd much rather keep the 9OA with the hopes that said 9OA can be a factor for us in 22-23 on an ELC contract.  

Now having said that, I AM of the opinion that if a 9OA can be used as part of a packaged deal that allows us to get rid of Eriksson's contract, then I'd be open to it.

For example, we've all heard about the 9OA for Reinhart rumours.  I'd look into extending that offer.  Maybe Buffalo gets Juolevi and a 2nd on top of that package if they're willing to take Eriksson off our hands.  The Sabres want prospects and picks.  The Canucks want cap space to be competitive now.  

I'd much rather hold onto the 9th + explore options of using 2nd / 3rd + mid prospect to get rid of Roussel and Beagle + sign a decent 3rd line center and good top 6 dman with the available cap space *without* having given up our 9thOA or a top prospect, but I'd possibly be interested in exploring the above.  If Guenter is still available at the #9 spot however, then forget it. Make the pick. I would even put Lambos in this category as well. 

Edited by Patel Bure

Some GMs have the ability to trade bad contracts, collect a lot of picks, some savvy stuff. Benning hasn't been able to do any of this. He tries to fix things by signing a few more UFAs each year to see if something sticks. Then when some don't, the Canucks are stuck with these contracts, for guys that aren't even playing. Yes, he did refill the prospect cupboard years ago, but it's almost empty again and the Canucks aren't that much further along. Benning said they would be aggressive this off season with trades, buyouts and signings. I'm waiting to see what he'll do, if he's able to sign Hughes and Pettersson sooner rather than later.  He has a lot of work to do, will he run out of time and settle on Edler?

I'm torn on the #9. Assuming Power and Clarke are both gone, I want VAN to select a true Centre (Beniers or McTavish), but after that I'm okay trading the #9 for a young Top 6 forward or Top pairing Dman to help this team now. It's all about winning, not seeing who can collect the most prospects.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

To be honest, I'm not entirely on board with this idea as I'd much rather keep the 9OA with the hopes that said 9OA can be a factor for us in 22-23 on an ELC contract.  

Now having said that, I AM of the opinion that if a 9OA can be used as part of a packaged deal that allows us to get rid of Eriksson's contract, then I'd be open to it.

For example, we've all heard about the 9OA for Reinhart rumours.  I'd look into extending that offer.  Maybe Buffalo gets Juolevi and a 2nd on top of that package if they're willing to take Eriksson off our hands.  The Sabres want prospects and picks.  The Canucks want cap space to be competitive now.  

I'd much rather hold onto the 9th + explore options of using 2nd / 3rd + mid prospect to get rid of Roussel and Beagle + sign a decent 3rd line center and good top 6 dman with the available cap space *without* having given up our 9thOA or a top prospect, but I'd possibly be interested in exploring the above.  If Guenter is still available at the #9 spot however, then forget it. Make the pick. I would even put Lambos in this category as well. 

Eriksson is not going anywhere, stranger things have happened, but he'll be part of the organization for another year... As for Beagle, sounds like his injury could be career threatening, he'll be LTIR next season. If you really want to give up pick for someone to take Roussel look to Seattle, I'm sure they'd take a 2nd to draft him. As for 9th OA I would select Johnson, kid is going to be a stud, probably end up being one of the better wingers to come out of this draft IMO 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, CR7 said:

Eriksson is not going anywhere, stranger things have happened, but he'll be part of the organization for another year... As for Beagle, sounds like his injury could be career threatening, he'll be LTIR next season. If you really want to give up pick for someone to take Roussel look to Seattle, I'm sure they'd take a 2nd to draft him. As for 9th OA I would select Johnson, kid is going to be a stud, probably end up being one of the better wingers to come out of this draft IMO 

1) You're probably right about Eriksson

2) I hope you're right about Beagle (yes, that's dark, I know).

3) Using a sweetener to move Roussel (within reason) would definitely go a long way.

4) Johnson definitely has very high potential and just may very well be the biggest high risk/high reward in this top 10.  I like Johnson but I think he's going to need to some significant coaching at the NHL level, particularly with decision making in the offensive zone.  Seems to me like this kid has all of the tools in the toolbox but doesn't quite know how to use all of his tools.  He'll need coaching in this area.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

If somehow JB can swing a deal to get a real top notch 3rd line center from the ED then im all in on trading our 9OA for a top 6 forward or Dman.

I agree, but it would definitely have to be for the right player. For example, if Joel Eriksson-Ek was on the block for some crazy reason, he's someone that I'd trade the 9th for.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I agree, but it would definitely have to be for the right player. For example, if Joel Eriksson-Ek was on the block for some crazy reason, he's someone that I'd trade the 9th for.

Agree. Ek would be the perfect 3C for us. A pest to play against, can play matchup and still talented enough for top 6.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J-P said:

Agree. Ek would be the perfect 3C for us. A pest to play against, can play matchup and still talented enough for top 6.

But on the flipside, that sounds a lot like Miller, too (as you described Ek). 2C/3C, doesn't matter - the point is is that he can be that same type of player. Having Petey, Bo and Miller down the middle is pretty elite. I LOVE the idea of drafting 9th and picking a player like McTavish, Edvinsson, Eklund, etc., but I also love the idea of trading for Reinahart and adding another player in the mould of Granlund via free agency. I like Granlund in particular because he can play all three forward positions, play anywhere in the top-9, plays on the powerplay and kills penalties. Maybe a player in the ilk of Coleman?

Granlund - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Reinhart

Hoglander - Miller - Podkolzin

Motte - Sutter - Highmore/MacEwen

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Reinhart

Hoglander - Granlund - Podklozin

This is very respectable imo, and gives us all kinds of options when putting four lines together. Hoglander and Podkolzin could earn more minutes too. 

The way I look at it is, yes, we can make the 9th pick and pick a REALLY good prospect, who, would in most cases be worth waiting through their development (whether it's 2-4 years), but although they come in very few, there ARE the right players that the 9th pick can be dealt for. Reinhart is one of them. Not only would he fill in on of our holes in the lineup which desperately needs filling, but he's the right age and would be the perfect line mate for Horvat (and I can keep on listing other different reasons...). Could happen! I know that there are other teams in on Reinhart and that Eichel will probably be moved, but in the case of either being dealt, Buffalo seems to be readying themselves to acquire ANOTHER top-10 pick. I don't care what the media says/thinks/speculates. In MY opinion, if Buffalo agreed to a trade where we traded the 9th pick + cap for Reinhart, then we should do it.  But... if none of this happens, nor do we trade for a player of a similar mould, we pick a great player at 9. Which is totally k.

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, J-P said:

Hypothetically, say we traded the 9th pick for Ek, here's what we'd be looking at:

Miller- Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Granlund

Hoglander - Eriksson-Ek - Podkolzin

Not bad. 

Reinhart for  Eriksson 1st + Lind

Beagle + Ferland to LTIR

Virtanen + 2nd to Seattle for (Selecting Holtby)

Sign Jaden Schwartz
Sign Adam Larsson 

re-sign Edler

Schwartz - Miller - Reinhart

Hoglander - Petey - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Podkolzin

Motte - Highmore - Lockwood

Mackewen

Roussel

Hughes Larsson

Edler Schmidt

Rathbone Myers

Chatfield

Juolevi

Demko

Dipietro

Edited by 70seven

18 hours ago, 70seven said:

Beagle + Ferland to LTIR

Sign Jaden Schwartz
Sign Adam Larsson 

re-sign Edler

Mackewen

Roussel

Hughes Larsson

Edler Schmidt

Rathbone Myers

Chatfield

Juolevi

Demko

Dipietro

It is a huge mistake to trade our 9th overall pick.

Take a look at the top teams in the league. We are not one or two players away from being as deep as they are. We need to keep the rebuilding process on track. Buffalo tried to rush things along and it was a disaster.

Keep adding one or two players a year from our own system. Draft.

Do smart UFA signings. Reasonable cost and short term.

26 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

True   he is here forever. I'm convinced he will never leave. 

I believe at the end of the year there will be an announcement that his contract is actually 12.yrs not 6

Eriksson signs 4 year extension @ 12M per

Benning - Eriksson bring character to the room, players love hating him, he is the perfect scape goat... I cannot lose my job as long as I blame him...

20 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Do smart UFA signings. Reasonable cost and short term.

Did we fire Benning :bigblush:?  I'm all for what you are selling but I'm sure when the season rolls around we'll all hear the same rhetoric. We had to offer longer term and more money to get players to come play here... 

On 6/21/2021 at 4:11 PM, 70seven said:

Beagle + Ferland to LTIR

Sign Jaden Schwartz
Sign Adam Larsson 

re-sign Edler

Mackewen

Roussel

Hughes Larsson

Edler Schmidt

Rathbone Myers

Chatfield

Juolevi

Demko

Dipietro

Why is our best and most important player centering the 3rd line? 

4th line too small, and Chatfield should never wear Nuck colours ever again.