The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So - Who Should The Canucks Take At The Number 9 Spot?

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

5 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

My pick is Cole Sillinger or Chaz Lucius we have a chance at both of them and they both have late birthdays both in May which means they played most of their draft years as 17 year olds. 

Definitely good to know!    I’ve actually changed my top preference to Dylan Guenther.  This kid is the real deal in my opinion.  My hope is that other teams prioritize C’s and D’s so that Guenther drops to us.

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

All this debate about who we should pick and I bet Benning trades the pick…

It actually wouldn’t surprise if he did that. He needs to win now, can’t seem to wait for another prospect to take 2-3 years to develop. He might even be around by that time that player at 9 gets onto the team and makes any sort of significant impact. 

4 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Definitely good to know!    I’ve actually changed my top preference to Dylan Guenther.  This kid is the real deal in my opinion.  My hope is that other teams prioritize C’s and D’s so that Guenther drops to us.

Wouldn’t mind Guenther if he’s available at 9. Is he NHL ready or does he need time back in junior? 

11 hours ago, stawns said:

With a top 10 pick, I'd almost always draft for need and almost always a fwd unless a Quinn Hughes drops into your lap.

It's likely we're being pedantic, as there should be a player at #9 that is a fit on this team. But, you kind of prove my point by saying if a Quinn Hughes drops in our lap you'd have to take him.

There are more than a few ways to skin a cat, and a good GM needs to recognize value as well as positional role with his players. This GM game is like chess.

• Vintage 1

On 6/6/2021 at 10:11 AM, shayster007 said:

I have listened to this interview. What Benning said was much more akin to, if the perfect deal comes up we would consider all options. Certainly not shopping the pick, more willing to listen to offers and make a move of it was a deal they couldn't pass up. Least that's how I interpreted what he said.

Yeah, I hate that they translate that to "shopping the #9 pick".

They're exploring all options and nothing will go unheard...that's what I get from it.

he’d be open to trading the No. 9 pick in the 2021 NHL draft. Benning was quoted as saying: “We’re going to look at everything. We’re going to call other teams.”

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, DeNiro said:

in a draft like this, if they don't think there's a player there that is going to be a future impact player, there's a definite possibility they might move that pick.  It certainly holds a fair amount of value.  I certainly trust JB and the scouting staff to make that call.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I really think it would be a mistake to trade our pick, unless an offer we can't refuse comes up. Our cupboards are getting a bit barren and we haven't even entered our window yet. Our focus should be taking advantage of expansion draft eligible players on the cheap and waiting for cap space to clear after next season.

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

It actually wouldn’t surprise if he did that. He needs to win now, can’t seem to wait for another prospect to take 2-3 years to develop. He might even be around by that time that player at 9 gets onto the team and makes any sort of significant impact. 

Remember, even Benning admits we need 2 more years to be competitive. If we take the win now stance, I doubt we win a cup with this core.

• Cheers 1

As much as it would kill me to lose our first i do think reinhart is worth it.

For 1 it solidifies our top 6 by a huge margin. It means next offseason we wouldnt have to look for a top 6 winger because we would already have him on the team while only being 25. 

the cap money that does open up for next offseason can be focused for a top D man and a bit of tinkering in our bottom 6. 

For Jim to trade this pick he would want a solid proven talent in return. The problem that will rear hits ugly head if he try's that avenue will be cap space.  Lets say he can make a deal for Reinhart. How would he fit the 5.2 mil into our cap?

Hughes and Petey won't leave much once their deals are done. Plus they need to fill a hole or two on D. Plus our bottom six. 

On 6/16/2021 at 10:44 AM, appleboy said:

For Jim to trade this pick he would want a solid proven talent in return. The problem that will rear hits ugly head if he try's that avenue will be cap space.  Lets say he can make a deal for Reinhart. How would he fit the 5.2 mil into our cap?

Hughes and Petey won't leave much once their deals are done. Plus they need to fill a hole or two on D. Plus our bottom six. 

The deal would have to be structured so they take some cap back. 

So if player x is worth SR  then players x and y are worth SR and LE.

I think the fact that SR wants out drops his value. 

On 6/15/2021 at 9:39 PM, Patel Bure said:

I am surprised few have Fabian Lysell  as their top choice.

Yes, It would be nice to fill a position of need like a centre or RD…but always take the best player available.

He fits the current mold and template for Canuck drafting. Speed, intelligent, a no quit motor, 200 foot game. Fastest player in the draft. Relentless hound. Heh…and he is Swedish …not a bad thing.

Consensus of ratings is @ 9. SOME FEEL he should be number 1. 
DOBBER has him 3rd overall.

The negative is his size. The same size as Bure.

5’10 172lbs. With a great motor and uses his speed effectively.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

17 hours ago, Live like a Canuck! said:

Yes, It would be nice to fill a position of need like a centre or RD…but always take the best player available.

He fits the current mold and template for Canuck drafting. Speed, intelligent, a no quit motor, 200 foot game. Fastest player in the draft. Relentless hound. Heh…and he is Swedish …not a bad thing.

Lysell is definitely on my wishlist.

31 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Not that he's a bad player but if the Canucks take Lysell at 9 it means that they likely reached and passed on a better player.

If they really like Lysell they could trade down but I.would take BPA at 9.

• Like 1

If we are going to keep this pick i suggest we trade miller. Hes not going to stick around if were going to wait 2-4 years for these players to be ready. He will be in his 30s by that time and has no reason to be on a team that has no chance to make playoffs. Even horvat should be on the table if we aint going to be competitive till petey is 27-28. 

lets say JB does something great at the ED  like get a appleton for example, is that enough for miller to be like “wow we really have a shot now!” Lol

The team might be better off to be a playoff team in 5 years than next year. We could get at least a extra 2 first rounders for both players (probably more). 

20 hours ago, Live like a Canuck! said:

3 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

So, he's a RW? Who do the Canucks move to the third line, Boeser, Podkolzin, or Lysell,? None of those guys strike me as a third line player. Which current bottom-6 RW gets the boot to the minors?

Or who switches to the LW, and which current player on the LW moves down a step?

Or maybe the team trades a current roster player to make room?

regards,  G.