The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Nolan Patrick requests trade

I would even not do a Rathbone for Patrick straight... 

so send them Virtanen for what ? Clear space ? Useless if we terminate his contract du to the charges he faces.

so why even add our 9 ov for less ? Every aspects of this trade is awful. 

Juolevi on the other hand... you may add Gadjovich or a 4th as well to make them bite.

but i'm not objective. i was disappointed when we drafted Juolevi in 2016, and Gadjovitch, Lind in 2017.

I'm high on Lockwood tho.   

Edited by deus.ex.makina
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Torts said:

I like OJ. Plays hard an tries to get the puck on net.

It was nice to see that he has a knack for getting his shot past the block (unlike Edler).   I'm looking fwd to him developing futher... should be a solid LD

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, Dazzle said:

He was sheltered. The proof is in the minutes that he was used compared to the other defenceman on the roster. The Canucks simply didn't have another choice. He was still the better option on many nights.

I can't stand how Chatfield was used sometimes over Juolevi.

I absolutely agree about the usage.

Post Covid (or even before when the chance of making the playoffs was already really remote... we should have been seeing what we had in the kids and if any of them stood out.  We know what Chatfield and Brisebois are already.  We don't know what Juolevi, Rafferty, and Rathbone are yet and it would sure be nice to know that before this offseason and having to make decisions on our roster and whether we need to limp along with Edler for another year or another replacement.

As it stands "maybe" we can slot in both Juolevi and Rathbone into that 3rd pairing LD slot and have them switch out and each play 40-50 games next season to see how they do.  I don't think going into the season with them filling both the 2nd pairing and 3rd pairing spots is a terribly great idea.  No idea what will work out as of yet, I suspect we are going to sign Edler again.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

Post Covid (or even before when the chance of making the playoffs was already really remote... we should have been seeing what we had in the kids and if any of them stood out.  We know what Chatfield and Brisebois are already.  We don't know what Juolevi, Rafferty, and Rathbone are yet and it would sure be nice to know that before this offseason and having to make decisions on our roster and whether we need to limp along with Edler for another year or another replacement.

As it stands "maybe" we can slot in both Juolevi and Rathbone into that 3rd pairing LD slot and have them switch out and each play 40-50 games next season to see how they do.  I don't think going into the season with them filling both the 2nd pairing and 3rd pairing spots is a terribly great idea.  No idea what will work out as of yet, I suspect we are going to sign Edler again.

What about signing Edler and having Bone, OJ, and Edler rotate through posing and resting?  

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Should've done that this past season.  But we needed that 5th round pick for Benn so badly.

I don’t see us moving OJ for Patrick.  We need OJ on D a lot more than Patrick in our forwards.  Best to sign Eddy to one (or two) more years and have OJ gradually take over those minutes.  I just don’t see a spot for Patrick in our lineup.  I would trade Jake for Patrick, but the Flyers wouldn’t.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

What about signing Edler and having Bone, OJ, and Edler rotate through posing and resting?  

Edler is done.

He’ll be on another team or retire.

He has threatened to retire if traded.

So if he’s not re-signed, I’m not sure if he signs with another team…

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I don’t see us moving OJ for Patrick.  We need OJ on D a lot more than Patrick in our forwards.  Best to sign Eddy to one (or two) more years and have OJ gradually take over those minutes.  I just don’t see a spot for Patrick in our lineup.  I would trade Jake for Patrick, but the Flyers wouldn’t.  

where id OJ on the depth charts now tho...judging by last years deployment i see this as the LHD depth chart:

1. Hughes

2. Schmidt

3. Edler

4. Rathbone

5. OJ - bit low on the list to say we need to keep him.

I know it is still early and he could have a great camp and grab a top 4 spot right away, but we have 20min a night of Edler to replace and regardless of how good of a camp OJ has no way the Canucks take that chance in hoping OJ can achieve all that and not tender Edler a contract offer to come back as a safety blanket.

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Yeah, the playoff chase (playing the vets) gamble didn’t work out this year and it still left a lot of unanswered questions regarding these rookies for next years rosters. Good chance, Raff moves.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Edler is done.

He’ll be on another team or retire.

meh has threatened to retire if traded.

so if he’s not re-signed, I’m not sure if he signs with another team…

Yeah; good chance they resigned him for (the very important) nostalgic and great intangibles reasons - hope JB doesn’t overpay.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

That is reasonable IF you think that any of the three of them can hold down the 2nd pairing LD job and that is a pretty tall order.  I think we need another legit top 4 D.

Not sure if Edler is ready and willing to be a depth guy who doesn't play every day yet.  We played him 25 minutes a night and asking him to take 1/3rd of a 3rd pairing job the next season is a pretty big drop off.

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

That is reasonable IF you think that any of the three of them can hold down the 2nd pairing LD job and that is a pretty tall order.  I think we need another legit top 4 D.

Not sure if Edler is ready and willing to be a depth guy who doesn't play every day yet.  We played him 25 minutes a night and asking him to take 1/3rd of a 3rd pairing job the next season is a pretty big drop off.

This will be up to Edler and ultimately the coach.   Time to move from him - imo

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1