The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Kings looking to acquire two top-6 forwards

10 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

This is my half-educated explanation from just lightly keeping up with the Kings this year...  they stayed in the playoff hunt for quite a while, did so with a lot of young players, and now think that their rebuild is picking up steam.  

In my opinion, we are on par with the Kings at this moment.  Both teams have their deficiencies, although Kings are relying more on their old leaders in Doughty/Kopitar whereas our young guys are carrying the load mostly.  

They are trying to get a couple of established players to help them get over the hump and into playoffs soon.  Every core needs to start experiencing playoffs and we really have to aim to get back into them next season. 

By "established" are you referring to someone like a Jeff Carter? Lol. In a roundabout way it is almost like us giving up on Toff and watching him flourish in MTL the same way Carter did in PIT after the trade. 

40 minutes ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

By "established" are you referring to someone like a Jeff Carter? Lol. In a roundabout way it is almost like us giving up on Toff and watching him flourish in MTL the same way Carter did in PIT after the trade. 

No I think they’re probably going to chase guys that are much younger then Carter.  

Kind of like us acquiring a 26 year old Miller. 

• 4 weeks later...

Rumour came true... the Kings wasted no time to acquire Arvidsson and didn't give up much.... he would've been a nice fit for us here to form an all-Swedish line with Petey and Hoglander if his cap hit wasn't that much.... 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RakuRaku said:

Rumour came true... the Kings wasted no time to acquire Arvidsson and didn't give up much.... he would've been a nice fit for us here to form an all-Swedish line with Petey and Hoglander if his cap hit wasn't that much.... 

Nope... the rumour was for TWO (2) Top 6 forwards... so far it is just one... so rumour is fake :P

• Haha 1

I feel like Sam Reinhart to LA makes more sense for Buffalo rather than with us. As they have a better draft pick and/or a bunch of C prospects they could trade if that’s what was wanted.

We will see tho 

17 hours ago, R3aL said:

I feel like Sam Reinhart to LA makes more sense for Buffalo rather than with us. As they have a better draft pick and/or a bunch of C prospects they could trade if that’s what was wanted.

We will see tho 

Can't see Reinhart coming to Van. As I feel like Buffalo will be asking for the moon in return for Reinhart. 

Canucks can't do a deal unless it cripples the team, and sets them back. How do the players look at this and feel about their chances for a postseason birth next season? 

Eichel to Los Angeles would be an interesting move

if I'm Blake, I'm willing to give up Turcotte and this year's first but only if I can dump a bad contract like Quick or Brown. That might be a tough pill to swallow for Los Angeles' fans, who want to see another cup win with this core. I think Doughty and Kopitar are up for it but Brown and Quick are at the end of the line. If Los Angeles needs to pick between Jones and Eichel, you go with Eichel as he's younger, he's under contract long-term and he's got star power. Eichel pushes Kopitar down to a more manageable role on the second line where he can utilize his defensive talents, presumably playing with Viktor Arvidsson, to form a secondary shut-down line. To play with Eichel, I'd start Byfield either as a 3C or on Eichel's wing with the goal of Byfield being Kopitar's long-term replacement. To flank that Eichel and Byfield unit, where they hopefully form chemistry as former second overall picks, I think Athanasiou's experience playing with McDavid and Larkin make him a good candidate to generate speed and chances for two young stars. Byfield becomes Los Angeles' version of Leon Draisaitl, Turcotte gets his shot to be a 1C in Buffalo and Jack Eichel takes off going head-to-head against Connor McDavid.