The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks announce coaching staff updates

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you are way too invested in your Benning hate narrative, you're seeing shadows. Its getting hard to take your posts seriously. 

I dont hate Benning at all. 

Whats hard to take seriously is people who think stating the obvious is hate. The longer you leave a person hanging without a new contract, the bigger the risk is they start thinking about their options. Thats true of any employment contract anywhere.

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

I dont hate Benning at all. 

Whats hard to take seriously is people who think stating the obvious is hate. The longer you leave a person hanging without a new contract, the bigger the risk is they start thinking about their options. Thats true of any employment contract anywhere.

OK boss. You know what the sunk cost fallacy is, I'm sure. Thats you with Benning. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

On 6/9/2021 at 1:34 PM, Pickly said:

Not thrilled about having Baumgartner back. Dont expect much of a difference in defensive philosophy next season. 

Yeah really surprised they brought him back, but then again they did keep Benning as well even after his Toffoli debacle so i guess i shouldn't be.....Sigh:picard:

At this point an evil part of me is hoping Montreal goes all the way and Toffoli wins the MVP just to make him look that much stupider,

Edited by Bure2Win
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

OK boss. You know what the sunk cost fallacy is, I'm sure. Thats you with Benning. 

I dont see how stating that leaving someone hanging is a risk is me doubling down on anything regarding Benning. The same would be true of every GM in the league who left a key coach hanging in the wind until the last minute.

Clark got 5 years. Green got 2. Do you really not see the leverage Clark had in that negotiation? Clark is worth it but I think the terms show just who was driving the bus on that negotiation.

20 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I dont see how stating that leaving someone hanging is a risk is me doubling down on anything regarding Benning. The same would be true of every GM in the league who left a key coach hanging in the wind until the last minute.

Clark got 5 years. Green got 2. Do you really not see the leverage Clark had in that negotiation? Clark is worth it but I think the terms show just who was driving the bus on that negotiation.

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

wouldn't a gm logically want to lock down the consensus best goalie coach in the league for as long as he can? why would benning negotiate to give clark less term than he wants?

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Excellent hire getting Shaw.  Part of me thinks hiring Shaw is a contingency too.  If we do poorly again, then Shaw could be promoted to head coach if Green gets fired.  Clearly no one wants that to happen, but it’s good to be ready if crap happens.  

Exactly what I thought the associate coach role he referred to in interview has some meaning I believe. High chance in case Green is fired he will act as the replacement. I believe he is worthy of head coach role after 15 years in nhl as assistant etc.

Edited by PositionOfPower
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I agree and have been saying the exact same that ALL the coaching staff including Green - excluding Clark - should have been turfed.   Not to mention Uncle Jim.  

We're now going into season 8 with JB and the team actually finished worse off this year that 7 years ago when he took over and we're still going backwards.   This team is years away from being a serious contender.  just watch the playoffs now and try telling me that we can compete with those teams now.  Not a chance..................!

Agreed.  Based on results and how many pieces this team is still missing, JB should have been shown the door.  Some promising young pieces but really  nothing else.  Last year's  playoff anomaly was unfortunate as it made management and ownership the team was better than it is. 

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

so we have the best goalie coach with all the negotiating power, but Jim's an idiot because he left it too long, which he actually didn't because he got it done, but he's bad because he had negating power and didn't use it, which he didn't have. 

Now thats a Benning hate logic pretzel

Now that is a delicious phrase! 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mordekai said:

Shaw told us why it was taking so long on in yesterday’s interview.

Brown was under contract and Shaw and green had to discuss without anyone’s knowledge. They only made the announcement once browns contract was up and not renewed as opposed to firing brown with weeks left in his contract. 
that’s not dragging that’s class!

There it is.

Dominos and jigsaw pieces falling into place while we all clutch and grab.

The organization fits it together then comes at us with a big announcement.

Suits me just fine.:towel:

Edited by Cat Man

9 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Agreed.  Based on results and how many pieces this team is still missing, JB should have been shown the door.  Some promising young pieces but really  nothing else.  Last year's  playoff anomaly was unfortunate as it made management and ownership the team was better than it is. 

I disagree. I think benning knows when to take a shot. he always had 2022-23 circled, but last year he recognized that the team had some juice and did what he had to do to capitalize on that and get them some incredible experience and a taste of winning in the playoffs, invaluable going forward. 

that being said, I think he either underestimated the impact in the room of letting some important players go, or he had his hands tied completely by ownership. 

• Cheers 3

On 6/9/2021 at 1:53 PM, Convincing John said:

Coaching is obviously important but people go off the rails about it and it’s totally uncalled for. 

you want a better power play? How about a point shot? Or a PMRHD to complement Quinn.
Most of our problems are holes in the lineup. There isn’t this drastic variation in systems across the league like many imply. We need some very big pieces to become a better team, coaching will do little to change that. 

I see people complain about us just dumping and chasing all the time. Is green supposed to implement a puck possession style with the bottom 6 he has? It’s all about fitting the style with the players you have. That goes for the forwards and the D. We need an identity. We don’t really have one. 

We have that point shot in Boeser. Still blows my mind that they can have Boeser and Pettersson on each side who can rip one timers better than 99% of the NHL, with an elite offensive/puck moving d man in Hughes and our pp struggles so much. I’d also have Hoglander on the first unit. Elite hands, can retrieve pucks and is more creative than anyone on our team besides Petey/Hughes. 

• Cheers 2