The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks announce coaching staff updates

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I like gallant.  Wanted him pre green.  I would take him over green.  I'd find a spot in the org for him until greens gone if I could.

The guys a helluva coach and all he does is take teams and elevate them.

Problem is coaches like him are like players like robataille.  Super rare and super underrated.

But unlike a player you can retain a gallant in your organization until a coaching position comes available.

Hell is do the same with the hunters in London if I could for scouting and organizational matters.  All they do is find talent and build winners.

In my perfect world we poach gallant and give him a permanent home here in some fashion and Baumgartner is a hotdog slinger in CBJ

I don't get the gallant obsession. he's had 3 head coaching opportunities in 20 years and hasn't lasted longer than 2.5 years in any of them. hell, even the assistant gigs in there he doesn't last more than 2 years. 

I think there's something wrong with him behind the scenes. 

but even then, what makes.you think he can be retained until there's an opportunity? wouldn't he rather go elsewhere for an opportunity now?

• Cheers 3

great news about the Clark signing

i like the Shaw signing, he tickets the experienced, systems guy boxes the Canucks desperately needed on D after last year. Also like that on top of what he brings, Travis Green picked him (rather than management) so there won't be a strange dynamic of having someone breathing over his shoulder

Gustafson and Green also coached together in Portland. Dunno much about him. I don't dislike Brown but it was definitely time for a change

Nolan Baumgartner will continue to work with defencemen and run the penalty kill but Shaw won’t be far away for some sage advice while helping direct forwards and the power play.

^ this is from the Province, but I hope Shaw gets a bigger say in defensive systems

4 hours ago, kawhi so serious? said:

We should let EP run the PP. True, his coaching resume isn't extensive, but I'm sure the Vaxjo Lakers could be his reference.

Apparently it was a relatively simple and easy to execute system too ........."Pass it to me, and I'll score"

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

great news about the Clark signing

i like the Shaw signing, he tickets the experienced, systems guy boxes the Canucks desperately needed on D after last year. Also like that on top of what he brings, Travis Green picked him (rather than management) so there won't be a strange dynamic of having someone breathing over his shoulder

Gustafson and Green also coached together in Portland. Dunno much about him. I don't dislike Brown but it was definitely time for a change

^ this is from the Province, but I hope Shaw gets a bigger say in defensive systems

I hope that isn't true. Shaw, who has coached Seth Jones, Werenski, Pietrangelo, Parayko etc should be in charge of our D that includes Hughes, Rathbone and OJ. Also curious what he might be able to bring out of Schmidt, Shaw should 100% be the D coach going forward. Make BUM a special assistant that rovers around behind the bench but does not a 1 specific role. Better yet send him to Abbotsford and give Cull a chance to run the F's here. Sounds like Cull was well liked in Utica and might be more of a better fit to be a fresh face to help fix our PP?

51 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

Mods, could he be relegated to Eklund status on the board?

19 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

lol Drance -  Brown will be a big get for somebody? lol, Fool 

While I am not a fan of Brown and it was time for him to go, I dont see how this is trolling or unrealistic commentary by Drance. 

I mean, Brown has been continuously employed as an NHL assistant coach on various teams since 1996. So saying someone will hire him isnt really an unrealistic idea.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Cheers 2

12 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I like that Baum is being moved further down the line. The defense suffered under his influence. Having a seasoned coach come in as Greenery’s :lol: sole second in command is a great idea. His approach worked wonders for St Louis and Columbus. I can see his involvement along with Travis’ have an effect on who Benning goes after. 

It sounds like Baumgartner is still in charge of the defense and the PK, King will be in charge of the forwards and PP, and Shaw will be more of a big picture planning resource for Green.

I hope he is more than that. Baumgartner and King do not inspire confidence in me tbh.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

It sounds like Baumgartner is still in charge of the defense and the PK, King will be in charge of the forwards and PP, and Shaw will be more of a big picture planning resource for Green.

I hope he is more than that. Baumgartner and King do not inspire confidence in me tbh.

you're worried about the tail wagging the dog. Shaw can help Green re-set the teams strategy, I'm sure Baumer is capable of carrying out a practice. 

• Cheers 2

14 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Yes, the video coach tells Green to take a look if he wants to challenge or not.

Main job though is to filter footage for pre game and post-game meetings as well a videos for the coaching staff to coach players.

AKA a fancy title for a video editor that knows some hockey.

Isn't the video coaches main job compiling video on both the Canucks and their opponents in order to work on problem areas, and increased skills, as well as prepare for other teams?

I don't think either of you know what you're talking about. ^_^

26 minutes ago, nzan said:

Looks like Broccoli Rob from Here Comes Treble

other than being a middle aged white man with glasses and similar hair colour I don't see much resemblance to stephen colbert, personally.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, IRR said:

Of course you wouldn't see an issue with it...you're just like him. Same s***, different day! Read through the multiple comments from Drance re: this / other Canuck topics lately. Passive aggressive negative shots at the team and back handed complements. Plus, just being straight up wrong about stuff!

Why would anyone have an issue with it? He cited some stats and said another team would likely hire Brown. 

Saying a guy w ho has been continuously employed on an NHL bench since 1996 is likely to get a job is hardly slagging on the team. You just want to view it that way.

You are pretty obsessed with me bud. Its not healthy. Thought you were putting me on ignore?

• RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Why would anyone have an issue with it? He cited some stats and said another team would likely hire Brown. 

Saying a guy w ho has been continuously employed on an NHL bench since 1996 is likely to get a job is hardly slagging on the team. You just want to view it that way.

You are pretty obsessed with me bud. Its not healthy. Thought you were putting me on ignore?

Read his other posts!!! Is negative a lot & contradicts himself / is wrong constantly!! Funny how most others are seeing it and you're not, but that's nothing new. 

Or, you can stop with your constant negative / hateful agenda re: this team! 

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Isn't the video coaches main job compiling video on both the Canucks and their opponents in order to work on problem areas, and increased skills, as well as prepare for other teams?

I don't think either of you know what you're talking about. ^_^

Yes, that is what I was saying. 

9 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’m glad you don’t count me as one of the negative nancies. 

I like to think of myself as more of a balanced bertha or a neutral norma. ;) 

Well at least you're not a panicky Pollyanna. They're the worst!

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3