The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks announce coaching staff updates

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

funny that today we’re seeing Kevin Woodley quotes in these threads and posters using Woodley as a source because he said something positive about management being “progressive.”

It’s not that long ago that many were calling Woodley a liar and “fake news,” because he was saying that the Canucks were risking losing Clark by waiting as long as they had.

Well, I think I was the first one to mention Woodley’s comments re: Clark in this topic which was also (I believe) the first time I’ve mentioned Woodley in any topic. I don’t think we’ve seen any of the people who may have criticized Woodley in the past now using his words to prop up Benning. 

I have previously mentioned Friedman’s words on Clark (things he said during an intermission a couple weeks ago). The gist of what he said re: Clark was that Clark was his own guy who marches to the beat of his own drum. Said Clark was well aware of how sought after he’d be and that if he left it would be because it’s what he wanted to do (from memory).

At the end of the day I think there’s just way more griping about this particular news bit than there needs to be or really should be. I know there’s some information on the topic that I haven’t read but I think Benning was probably over the moon to sign Clark for 5 years. 

And a certain somebody being the objective one on these boards? The guy who said the Toffoli trade was worse than the Sergachev trade? There’s legitimate criticisms to be made of the Toffoli trade but cmon. 

Edited by Sean Monahan
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I think it's important to understand that "negotiations" for new contracts and "deadlines" are often a game of cat and mouse.

If Clark really had a deadline set in stone, that would mean he'd already be gone.  Deadlines are used as a pressure tactic and the fact that he "increased" his ask meant the deadline was more of a tool than a line in the sand.  

My ex negotiated contracts for a long time and the process is one that isn't always what it appears to be the casual observer or those on the outside.  It's a game of poker that even involves some bluffing.  Don't get me wrong, that game really could have backfired (think Toffoli) but it didn't.  So to dwell on it really is pointless.  He's re-signed, so obviously they did something right to keep him here.

I'm not "pro Benning" I'm more anti drama and dragging out things that we need to move forward on.  I was ok either way, but those who wanted Benning gone often don't give any credit or move past that.  They stay stuck there.  The pro Benning crowd isn't usually one that says he's faultless...it's more that we accept the things we cannot change.  Water under the bridge.  Dead horse.  All that stuff. 

This statement (quoted) can be pretty evenly appliedon the anti Benning side (too)....but it's declared as "passionate fans who want the team to do well"

For me, it says something to be open minded on both sides and not staunchly set with your feet dug in without ever moving past that stance. 

It's also knowing that it's pretty hard to nail every move and be perfect.  But, seeing if they learn from past mistakes will be a big thing for me. 

I just want to be positive about the future and, at some point, that becomes a choice we all have.  

Deb i just don't like it when people getting paid huge dollars fail at a basic part of they're job like the task of resigning a player (Toffoli) that everyone new was a great fit at a great price and a proven scorer. We all saw what had to be done, it was a plain as the nose on every ones face, players like him don't come around very often, look at what hes done to Montreal. This is why i get so angry and don't want to support this man. Oh and don't forget we lost Madden in the process and the farther the Habs go and the better Tof continues to play the worse it looks on Benning. I'm sorry if i can't shake it like some of you here but it really makes me mad with someone like him at the helm.

Edited by Bure2Win
  • Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I have previously mentioned Friedman’s words on Clark (things he said during an intermission a couple weeks ago). The gist of what he said re: Clark was that Clark was his own guy who marches to the beat of his own drum. Said Clark was well aware of how sought after he’d be and that if he left it would be because it’s what he wanted to do. 

I heard that interview too.

Thing is, sometimes people just "move on" because they start to feel stagnant and uninspired....they need a change of scenery.  No one's tied to a team/city forever and respecting someone's right to ponder their future may also factor in.  Not pressuring them and showing respect for the decision making process.

They also stated that there are good goaltending coaches out there and seemed to project a "no panic" message that likely helped their case.  Desperation isn't what you want to see in negotiations.

• Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, Bure2Win said:

Deb i just don't like it when people getting paid huge dollars fail at a basic part of they're job like the task of resigning a player (Toffoli) that everyone new was a great fit at a great price and a proven scorer. We all saw what had to be done, it was a plain as the nose on every ones face, players like him don't come around very often, look at what hes done to Montreal. This is why i get so angry and don't want to support this man. Oh and don't forget we lost Madden in the process and the farther the Habs go and the better Tof continues to play the worse it looks on Benning. I'm sorry if i can't shake it like some of you here but it really makes me mad with someone like him at the helm.

Trust me, the Toffoli thing stings for me too.  I get it, for sure.

• Upvote 1

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

I heard that interview too.

Thing is, sometimes people just "move on" because they start to feel stagnant and uninspired....they need a change of scenery.  No one's tied to a team/city forever and respecting someone's right to ponder their future may also factor in.  Not pressuring them.   

They also stated that there are good goaltending coaches out there and seemed to project a "no panic" message that likely helped their case.  Desperation isn't what you want to see in negotiations.

It sounds like we know now that Clark’s preference was to stay here in Vancouver. Good to hear. Perhaps it’s been reported, but I imagine the holdup was on ownership’s end. If Clark was willing to sign a longer term contract you think that would be a pretty quick and easy negotiation, right? I can’t imagine why Benning wouldn’t want to keep Clark around, especially longer term. I therefore deduce the holdup was due to ownership’s green lighting of any deal. 

Ultimately I’m happy Clark’s here to stay and excited to see what he can do with this new goaltending department. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Googlie said:

Duh - stupid me.  That's what comes of copying a link, then doing other things for an hour before pasting, during which time I forgot who the link was about !!!

Hey I got two bags for asking that question

I appreciate an honest/earnest answer

4 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

If it was ownership that intervened to bring Clark back, does that not cause you concern about management? 

My guess, owners wanted to bring up Sanford as a cheaper option and then Demko had his glowing support for Clark...Basically the owner was backed into a corner, they already gave Demko 5m x 5 years, best be keeping the goalie coach he likes otherwise 2 things could happen. 1. Trade request 2. His play falls off and we are left with Martin Jones type situation, overpaid G no team will touch with years on his contract.

3 hours ago, BlastPast said:

Has it ever occurred to certain know-it-alls in here that the financial uncertainty surrounding the league played a role in the delay of getting some contractual things done ? Surely knowledge of things that will affect revenue forecasts is relevant to both sides understanding what constitutes a fair deal, right? Or maybe they did drag their heels; either way it is something to at least take into consideration.

Everything gets blown out of proportion in a Canadian market. Coaches contracts or scout contracts have never been such hot topics years ago, wonder what has changed since then??

The internet and social media platforms have given an outlet to any person in the world to spew whatever kind of hot garbage they want. After this past season, if it was a normal year where fans were in the stands I think a lot more changes would have happened...meaning all new coaches and likely managerial changes too. 

Pretty sad after last off seasons debacle that JB still has a job after not even trying to sign Toffoli cause he had such a boner over trying to acquire an over priced OEL. Not to mention our other players who left that probably felt disrespected by the team not even approaching them till after FA started. 

4 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Good. Lets see if he keeps up his 40-45 goal seasons for the next 3 years. 

i want young players on this team not 30+ yr olds

we missed having a quality top 6 capable F in Toffoli this year. His contract is fair for the team and the player imo given the flat cap world, TT did quite well considering.

We have maybe Podz in the pipeline who could score 20g for us in the next 3 years and that is it...our prospect depth is weak cause the only ones that have panned out are on our roster now. Canucks needed more picks over the last 7 years, we needed more hits after round 1 and just didn't get them

4 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

And don't forget the most important philosophy of all:

EwuH7KaVgAAXfep.jpg.f1e24688720da61aaa8dce3b2477373c.jpg

Thing is, it's often that simple.  The team that's skating versus the team that's not.

So while it's a cute meme and all....there's really something to it. 

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

we missed having a quality top 6 capable F in Toffoli this year. His contract is fair for the team and the player imo given the flat cap world, TT did quite well considering.

We have maybe Podz in the pipeline who could score 20g for us in the next 3 years and that is it...our prospect depth is weak cause the only ones that have panned out are on our roster now. Canucks needed more picks over the last 7 years, we needed more hits after round 1 and just didn't get them

Yeah THIS year. This year was a mess. 

also without toffoli we were able to see what hog was able to do. Did pretty good.

our prospect depth is weak cause all our good prospects made the team.

• Vintage 1