The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks announce coaching staff updates

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

With Clark locked in for 5 years and Demko for 5 years, I think Wallstedt would be the perfect player to pick at #9OA.  Allows the flexibility to move Dipietro to acquire help in other areas.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, canuckleheads fan said:

My thought exactly, they just hired Shaw, a well regarded defensive coach who has worked his magic for two different franchises, I suspect Shaw will be the D coach going forward, and Baum will coach special teams, or something else.  I also suspect that Baum is back because he got a thumbs up from the players, which is what appears to have saved Green's job.

And Green has a long history with him in Utica, I believe. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Point being that I wasn't intimating that Baumgartner would be overseeing Shaw or Shaw answering to Baumgartner.  As an understudy (if he is), Baumgartner would be learning Shaw's moves and philosophy in case he needs to step in to cover for him.

I have my wife to thank for learning that term; she explained to me what it was from a ballet context.  :bigblush:

+100 for the use of intimating. :lol:

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

brown gone: good

baumer back: bad

****ty video coach back: bad

brown gone tho.....

Yeah Brown gone is definitely a positive and I like the addition of Shaw, especially if he takes over the Defense from Baumer. Will be curious to see who gets what assignment...

20 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

5-years for Ian Clark, matches term of Demko's deal:

I've always thought of goalie coaches as independent of the rest of the coaching staff.  They are part technical expert helping the goalies work out their mechanics, and part psychologist because everybody knows that goalies are crazy!  They don't really have a ton of input into the team's systems, so it doesn't matter who the HC and his assistants are, the goalie coach basically stays in his lane.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

51 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Originally selected 86th overall in the 1982 NHL Entry Draft by the Detroit Red Wings, Shaw recorded 159 points (22-137-159), including 94 on the power play, in 377 career games with the Hartford Whalers, Ottawa Senators, Washington Capitals, and St. Louis Blues.

Based on this section from the team press release, I’m wondering if Shaw will actually be handling the power play?

Just given the fact that chose to include his power play scoring stats, from when he played.

Maybe reading too much into things, but seems odd they’d included those specific numbers, without some intent behind it.

I’m just glad Shaw is here, whatever his official role ends up being. He’s going to make the defence better. And that fact he’s had so much success coaching PK probably gives him pretty good insights into how things work on the opposite side of special teams. 

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

My thought exactly, they just hired Shaw, a well regarded defensive coach who has worked his magic for two different franchises, I suspect Shaw will be the D coach going forward, and Baum will coach special teams, or something else.  I also suspect that Baum is back because he got a thumbs up from the players, which is what appears to have saved Green's job.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Baum is good in the room and the organization has loyalty. But they just brought in better people to do his current job. He will be shuffled to something else which is a-ok with me. Glad to see a change with Brown being gonzo, even though I think his "incompetence" was grossly exaggerated. Time for a fresh take.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

any mention Shaw's ties to Seth Jones and his upcoming UFA status at the end of next season...mic drop, back later to see responses haha!

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

With Clark locked in for 5 years and Demko for 5 years, I think Wallstedt would be the perfect player to pick at #9OA.  Allows the flexibility to move Dipietro to acquire help in other areas.

I know most will say, we have Demko, we have DiPietro, but I agree with you. Any opportunity to get a top 10 ranked goalie is a good one. Stack goalies like they stack pads. 

14 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Agreed. He clearly did a great job with the defense in both St. Louis and Columbus. 

yup this is good news for sure. 

As far s the PP goes, I suppose we could be looking at King? I mean he did have that huge season with the Hamburg Freezers. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Finally I somewhat agree with you. If the top defensemen are gone, and its between McTavish or Wallestedt, I would take Wallestedt. BPA always. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Could happen, although I don't agree with spending a #9 pick on a G. Rarely and we are the exception does a team trade a G and get a high pick in return. In comparison to us drafting a positional player and maybe one day moving a player for a big return down the road when we have a younger cheap replacement....

I am kind of eluding to us taking a McTavish/Guenther type player and them possibly being able to replace a almost 30 yr old JT Miller or another player after his current or next contract

7 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Based on this section from the team press release, I’m wondering if Shaw will actually be handling the power play?

Just given the fact that chose to include his power play scoring stats, from when he played.

Maybe reading too much into things, but seems odd they’d included those specific numbers, without some intent behind it.

I’m just glad Shaw is here, whatever his official role ends up being. He’s going to make the defence better. And that fact he’s had so much success coaching PK probably gives him pretty good insights into how things work on the opposite side of special teams. 

Interesting sleuthing. I would say he's still going to be the defensive coach, as his history with Columbus and St. Louis had him operating in that type of role, that being said, it's not like these guys won't commiserate on the bench.