Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Lukas Jasek signs with Lahti Pelicans (Finland)


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Quantum said:

I assume the Canucks will qualify Jasek just to keep there options open. Doesn't hurt to qualify him. But this organization hasn't been that nice to players who decide to go to Europe (look at Tryamkin, Palmu). Could see them letting Jasek walk.

 

I've gotta assume that Jasek wasn't happy about not getting a chance to be on the Taxi Squad at any point of last season. He deserved a game or two in the NHL this season... especially after the Covid outbreak.

 

As for AHL Abbotsford depth, I assume the Canucks will re-sign Tyler Gravoac and get Marc Michaelis under contract and those two will be the 1C and 2C for Abbotsford next season.

The whole season was a disaster in the AHL due to Covid. Jasek has to play and the Euro leagues got more games in. He is at an age where establishing himself is becoming critical. Makes sense to me that he signed there. Keeps him on the Euro radar and leaves a return to NA an option. Liked this kid for a number of years but he was a long shot. Hope he comes back.

  • Hydration 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Was hoping we'd get to see him at the end of the season along with all the other call ups.  Beyond Petey, Horvat, Miller, it's going to be hard to fill the 3C/4C role internally unless management feel comfortable with Lind playing centre moving forward or they want a veteran/proven player in that role, which makes sense if we're trying to be competitive.  

 

Only downside is Abbotsford lost their potential 1C for the season.  Be interesting to hear how this decision came about, especially from Ryan Johnson.

 

 

 

 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd like to hear the organizations take on it, it wouldn't surprise me if this was something everyone thought was the next best move. 

 

I hope so, albeit he would've had a chance to be Abbotsfords top center. Trent Cull really likes him too. Called him "a coaches dream". 

 

Really hope they retain him. 

 

1 hour ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Any chance he would have an out clause in his contract?

Generally NHL and most Euopean leagues have a transfer agreement, but usually teams dont lile to pull players in and out during the season. If the Canucks retain, Id exoect they would let him play out the year in Finland

 

  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It makes sense from his perspective.  He have an over abundance of bottom 6 players right now until more veteran contracts expire.

 

With the signalling of Miller wanting to play more centre, that really limits Jasek’s chances of making the big club 

 

If it is a choice between the AHL or Europe, I can see the attraction of the latter.

 

 

Edited by Provost
  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Still have to qualify him to retain his rights.

 

Reading around it sounds like the intention for the Lahti Pelicans is to use him as their number one center.

 

I had a feeling this was likely going to happen, when everyone was called up and Jasek was not, must've left him feeling sorta out of the mix, considering he was Utica's best forward last season. Too bad, really thought he embodied what this team needed in the bottom six. Good thing the deal is a 1 year deal.

 

However, Abbotsford lacks a lot of center depth all of sudden and also reflects the lack of depth in the organization as a whole. 

 

 

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Had a good year in Utica. Probably should have been given a game over Lockwood.

 

1 hour ago, Quantum said:

I assume the Canucks will qualify Jasek just to keep there options open. Doesn't hurt to qualify him. But this organization hasn't been that nice to players who decide to go to Europe (look at Tryamkin, Palmu). Could see them letting Jasek walk.

 

I've gotta assume that Jasek wasn't happy about not getting a chance to be on the Taxi Squad at any point of last season. He deserved a game or two in the NHL this season... especially after the Covid outbreak.

 

As for AHL Abbotsford depth, I assume the Canucks will re-sign Tyler Gravoac and get Marc Michaelis under contract and those two will be the 1C and 2C for Abbotsford next season.

Well, since we're speculating on Jasek's feelings/thoughts on the matter, maybe he had already discussed with the team his desire to return to Europe (without a specific destination - no meddling), so why give him some NHL time over a guy who the Canucks could potentially use next season? And if he had said that he was moving along, why would he be annoyed at not getting a game at the NHL level (other than a bit more money)?

 

Look at the guys who are maybe going to be used next season, not the guys who may never come back, although it would be good if he did.

 

                                                          regards,  G.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

 

 

 

Well, since we're speculating on Jasek's feelings/thoughts on the matter, maybe he had already discussed with the team his desire to return to Europe (without a specific destination - no meddling), so why give him some NHL time over a guy who the Canucks could potentially use next season? And if he had said that he was moving along, why would he be annoyed at not getting a game at the NHL level (other than a bit more money)?

 

Look at the guys who are maybe going to be used next season, not the guys who may never come back, although it would be good if he did.

 

                                                          regards,  G.

Either scenario is hearsay nobody will know which is true unless somebody comes out and publicly says something. Irregardless of what or if anything was said Jasek seemed more deserving to be given a look. For Canucks sake it could have also been nice to see if you’d really need to pursue him later and bring him back for another shot at the NHL. I’m not trying to throw shade at Lockwood because he did a lot of stuff away from the puck as well that you love to see. Lockwood was in his first AHL season he could have made his debut next season and we’d have seen both guys. I think it’s more just political stuff where Benning would rather see his 3rd round pick over a late round guy whom may have been just slightly more deserving of the look.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, shayster007 said:

That's a bummer... I was really hoping for him to fight for that vacancy in our bottom 6 C position. I hope he does well over in Finland.

I’d rather have Virtanen on the team to be perfectly honest.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Provost said:

It makes sense from his perspective.  He have an over abundance of bottom 6 players right now until more veteran contracts expire.

 

With the signalling of Miller wanting to play more centre, that really limits Jasek’s chances of making the big club 

 

If it is a choice between the AHL or Europe, I can see the attraction of the latter.

 

 

There is “signaling of Miller wanting to play more center” from what I understand.   He prefers the wing and has stated as such.   Good on Jasek and I wish him the best in his career.

 

Will he still remain Canucks property despite signing over there?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

I’d rather have Virtanen on the team to be perfectly honest.

That doesn't surprise me at all. You have already shown your true colors around here. I don't respect your opinion, or you as a person in the slightest.

  • Hydration 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy for him. He will get an opportunity to further develop his game and work on some things to improve his overall skill set. He will be welcomed here with open arms and possibly a bottom 6 opportunity will be knocking for him when he comes back here and/or we get him signed. All the best, Lukas!

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Maybe when Lockwood got called up was enough? Jasek 3rd year having a much better season then Lockwood was enough??

I would feel the same...Good for Jasek, wish him lots of luck...

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

There is “signaling of Miller wanting to play more center” from what I understand.   He prefers the wing and has stated as such.   Good on Jasek and I wish him the best in his career.

 

Will he still remain Canucks property despite signing over there?

 

 

He did... it was reported that he was comfortable at centre when he had to fill in:
https://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-miller-thriving-pettersson-absence/

 

... and it was reported by several local media that it was discussed at his exit interview so the team had flexibility to figure out how to fill holes in the offseason.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Provost said:

He did... it was reported that he was comfortable at centre when he had to fill in:
https://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-miller-thriving-pettersson-absence/

 

... and it was reported by several local media that it was discussed at his exit interview so the team had flexibility to figure out how to fill holes in the offseason.

“Being comfortable at playing center when he has to fill in” and “wanting to play more center” are two separate things.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Provost said:

He did... it was reported that he was comfortable at centre when he had to fill in:
https://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-miller-thriving-pettersson-absence/

 

... and it was reported by several local media that it was discussed at his exit interview so the team had flexibility to figure out how to fill holes in the offseason.

If Miller can be pencilled in as a center, it means we only need two top 9 wingers which are easier to acquire.
 

That would also mean we dont have to go out and get a third line center, which we’d either have to overpay or give up valuable assets we’ll need to acquire a top 4 D man.

 

Miller at center just makes us deeper.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If Miller can be pencilled in as a center, it means we only need two top 9 wingers which are easier to acquire.
 

That would also mean we dont have to go out and get a third line center, which we’d either have to overpay or give up valuable assets we’ll need to acquire a top 4 D man.

 

Miller at center just makes us deeper.

Might as well trade Miller for Sam Reinhart if we don’t intend to use him as a winger.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Might as well trade Miller for Sam Reinhart if we don’t intend to use him as a winger.

Why would we do that?

 

You’re acting like Miller is useless as a center.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Might as well trade Miller for Sam Reinhart if we don’t intend to use him as a winger.

It's times like these where I wish that even if there weren't a downvote option, we'd at least have a facepalm reaction option, instead of having to quote the post to do this - :picard:

 

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Why would we do that?

 

You’re acting like Miller is useless as a center.

The guy thinks that the inconsistent cream puff known as Virtanen is deserving of another chance with the team when it's clear that Virtanen will never use his size or his abilities appropriately or consistently and has already used up 10 of his 9 hockey lives.  I wouldn't take the poster's words seriously.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...