The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Trade Dipietro and the 9th overall.

No one really knows the order of BPAs. Every list is different, especially this year with no real clear Top 3 or Top 10.  Some GMs ahead of VAN will make some odd choices I think, which will leave VAN with a great player. 

Even though Edvinsson had a tough U18, I can still see him going in the Top 10. McTavish will go high, maybe Wallstedt. Shoot, maybe Johnson is taken in the Top 3, and Lysell is taken before VAN's turn.  It's going to be wild.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

26 minutes ago, nergish said:

An undersized goaltender who has played minimal professional-level hockey? Considering goalies already are hard to get value from in trades...

His CHL performance is notable, but not enough to warrant any sort of return. 

He's worth about a 5th-6th rounder right now, tbh. Worth far more to us than he is to any other team.

Not a trade chip when talking about moving up draft spots in the top 10.

I think a 5th or 6th round pick have about a 5% chance of making the nhl.  I think that Dipietro would have to be at least a 50% chance of being an nhl goalie.  Respectfully, I think you are way off with your evaluation.   

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I think we could do that deal with Detroit at 6.  I don't see how it helps us though, in that scenario.  

I was going to say 7th

so we are close

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Better to keep developing him with the goal of a solid tandem with Demko.  Need to have your backup able to play 30 games or so in today's league.

I agree keep him, what if Demko has a serious injury?, top teams have depth to cover

That is a trade you maybe do when you are ready to go to the end, not the time for it right now imo

1 minute ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I agree keep him, what if Demko has a serious injury?, top teams have depth to cover

That is a trade you maybe do when you are ready to go to the end, not the time for it right now imo

Even then I wouldn't.  Look at Vegas and Montreal's goaltending.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

… but the thought of adding one of the 2 top D men in the Draft ?

Blue Chips.

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

… but the thought of adding one of the 2 top D men in the Draft ?

Blue Chips.

I don’t think there any drop off from Owen power to Clarke Hughes or Edvinsson lambos 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

I think a 5th or 6th round pick have about a 5% chance of making the nhl.  I think that Dipietro would have to be at least a 50% chance of being an nhl goalie.  Respectfully, I think you are way off with your evaluation.   

Your post made me think.  So I went to hockeydb and did a little research.  Of course, this would depend on your definition of "making the NHL".  First, I went a few years out as most players that aren't first rounders will wind up back in Junior or University or wherever they were drafted from.  So I only looked at the 2017 through 2013 draft.

Also, many of those that made it to the NHL only got to play a handful of games, or sometimes just a single game.  Just for comparison I counted how many players from those 5 years have played at least 1 game and how many have played at least 100 games.

I found that over that 5 year spread, 22% played at least 1 game but only 7% played at least 100 games.  Although my count might be off as I am watching the Habs game at the same time.

image.png.1f3b7a3c7f6955a6e79652de97a9de0e.png

So your estimate wasn't that far off.

4 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Absolutely. I have no problem with that. Miley is probably our top prospect at the moment but i have a ton of faith we can draft a replacement and silvos has a ton of potential. Dont know what buffalo thinks of mikey tho.

We do need more wrecking ball type players. Was happy to hear our top prospect is one!

miley cyrus smilers GIF by Vevo

• Thanks 1

I'm a big fan of Mike love the story line would be over the moon to see him make it. I don't think he's enough to move the needle much on the trade market though with his 7+GAA. 

He has been putting in work with Ian I'd love to see that bear fruit. Think of all the warm fuzzies. 

If there was ever a year to move up cheaply, you'd think it would be for this draft. Covid did a number on assessment of these prospects, so besides maybe Power being a #1 consensus by some, it's quite the crap shoot this year. 

If giving up MD is what it takes to snag a gut Benning feels will be elite, I think it's worth the price... even if MD is probably our best prospect right now. Backups are commonly available so I'm not concerned there...

Well, while on the subject.........none of

Gadjovich, Lind, Dipietro, Woo, Karlsson, Jurmo, Costmar, Zlodeyev, Utunen, McDonaugh, Persson will ever be more than 3/4 line players in the NHL

If they are lucky..............................That is just the bottom line

So, Any way we can take our 9th OA and any or all the above and turn it into Clarke

We should just do it

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Coconuts said:

We'd have to give up a lot more than that. 

Might have the makings of a package to jump higher, but jumping from 9 into the top 3 would likely harm us more than help us given what it'd cost. Particularly given there's more uncertainty regarding this year's top 10 then there'd usually be given how Covid's mucked things up.

This.  If the top of the class is that murky, then such a trade seems awfully risky.  And if you're Buffalo or Seattle, you'd want more for a 1st or 2nd overall pick.