The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Pekka Rinne Announces Retirement

Rate this topic

https://www.nhl.com/news/pekka-rinne-retires/c-325640590

cut.jpg

Pekka Rinne announced his retirement from the NHL on Tuesday, ending a 13-season playing career, all with the Nashville Predators.

"For more than 15 years, I've been on an incredible, life-changing journey with the Nashville Predators that has taken me to more places than I could have ever imagined and given me more than I could ever hope to give back," Rinne said. "This decision wasn't easy, but I know this is the right one at the right time."

The 38-year-old goalie retires as Nashville's regular-season leader in games (683), starts (667), wins (369), shutouts (60), goals-against average (2.43) and saves (17,627). He is first among Finland-born goalies in regular-season games, starts, wins and shutouts, had a .917 save percentage, is tied with Tom Barrasso for 19th in NHL wins and ranks 19th in shutouts. 

Rinne's GAA is fourth among NHL goalies who won at least 350 games behind Hockey Hall of Famers Dominik Hasek (2.20), Martin Brodeur (2.24) and Jacques Plante (2.38). He's one of 12 with 350 wins and 60 shutouts. Eight are in the Hall of Fame.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

He had a hell of a career.

Having a 1.5 year old myself I can see why he'd like to dedicate this precious time with his family. It goes quick and never comes back. Plus he never has to work again!

Happy retirement Pekka!

• Like 1

The best 8th round pick ever! Picked 31st in the 8th round. What a beauty, picked last but finished 1st in our hearts at some point. This is the start of the end of an era. We are now going to see stars pass on the game one at a time. Amazing Goalie even better human. Congrats on your career Pekka.

Edited by #Canucks
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mll said:

End of an era. 

Rinne in the Players’ Tribune:

What an absolutely beautifully written thank you letter to Nashville! 

On a side note…his memories of the way he was treated by the organization are in such stark contrast to the stories told by Bure and his welcome to the Canucks. It’s the smallest of gestures, like Nick Beverly and his wife taking him out to dinner while he was waiting to be assigned to Milwaukee, that make a team into a family. The lasting impression made on him by veterans like Jason Arnott, Mike Fisher and Shea Weber are details that many here on CDC put no value on. I hope that these are lessons that this organization has learned over the years.

Game two of the 2011 Canucks/Nashville series. Best live performance I’ve ever seen from a goalie. We stood up in our seats about 6 different times in OT because we thought the game was over. Several cross crease passes slid across his net only for him to make a miraculous save every time. Great career.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1