The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Kaprizov tendered significant offer from KHL's CKSA Moscow

RWJC

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

This is actually bad business for the NHL. Would you feel good if the Canucks lost an impressive RFA in this way? No, this is beyond stupid for the KHL to be allowed this option.

Agreed. He’s a phenomenal player to watch. The edge work and pure puck skills are outstanding 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, UKNuck96 said:

No more stupid than the draft which allows teams to own the rights to players who are under contract with other teams, it’s basically international tampering. 

free movement of goods and services it’s seems unless you are a sports player in which case you are property. 

I’m glad the Bosman ruling over here put an end to teams owning rights to players even when not under a contract, 

it’s the equivalent of my work saying we are no longer paying you and you don’t work here but you are not allowed to work anywhere else until we let you 

True.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

KHL team salary cap is something around $13M USD equivalent, with top players making somewhere between $1-2M USD per season.

Somehow I think Minny can find a way to pony up enough to beat whatever CSKA is offering Kaprisov, even taking into account the differences in taxation and cost of living.

Does anyone like tea leaves these days? Seems lots of 'smart money' folks are forecasting a plummet for the world's reserve currency.

Can't say whether that's the case here..but sooner or later, this factor could sway player decisions.

Down the road, the KHL might become a MAJOR PITA for the corrupt NHL.

Meh, just posturing. Every Russian that is having a tough negotiation will use this card.

I don't doubt that the KHL has given him a significant offer but it's very possible he has no interest in bolting.

There's a reason why most guys that bolt either try to find their way back quite quickly or are older and on the decline (not much NHL interest).

8 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Meh, just posturing. Every Russian that is having a tough negotiation will use this card.

I don't doubt that the KHL has given him a significant offer but it's very possible he has no interest in bolting.

There's a reason why most guys that bolt either try to find their way back quite quickly or are older and on the decline (not much NHL interest).

That’s the point. It’s leverage. 
The argument isn’t so much that he could leave, it’s more so what its finally going to cost the Wild to sign him now and how does that impact them financially going forward. Guerin needs to cost control after the buyouts. He overpays his rookie and then comparables are drawn against that by other RFA/UFAs on the team at the time of their negotiations. It’s the residual effect that could be painful.

Imagine if you will that Podz breaks out and becomes important to the future of the Nux, then gets tendered a major offer by a KHL team when his ELC expires. If a guy like Boeser or even a QH or Petey at the end of their bridge deals sees Podz has been resigned on a short term deal for a high AAV in order to keep him here, their agents will use that like a rabid dog in any future negotiations for their client. Overpaying for a rookie and/or giving them the opportunity to cash in at UFA status is poor optics and like I said, only provides leverage against the respective team and creates distance between ownership and the players who have already been part of the team and in turn become underpaid in contrast.  It’s the valuation process that becomes impacted. 

All depends what he signs for, imho

Edited by RWJC

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think they own his rights for two more years.  He’s likely not wanting to sign more than a two year deal, so he can be a UFA and get a Panarin contract.  He can play in Russia for those two years, make good money, and then sign a big contract with an NHL team and make even more.  Minny will have to go over 70 million to keep him.  

They apparently did and he turned it down - 8x 9M was offered per Russo.  They want to sign him long term - dollars is not really the issue.  It's the term.  He wants maximum 3 years for less money and then to cash out like Panarin.  

After 3 years he is also UFA so he has more leverage.  No indication that he is looking to leave the Wild but added pressure to turn the team into a contender by then or he'll look elsewhere if they are just middle of the pack.  

Makes sense to maximise his earnings that he wants a bridge.  3 years to age 27 and young enough to sign a mega deal till his mid-thirties vs 8 years that brings him to 32.  

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...

The ugly Kirill Kaprizov contract negotiations took another turn Monday night when the Daily Faceoff reported that the Minnesota Wild’s unsigned restricted free agent has a tentative agreement in place with CSKA Moscow on a one-year deal worth at least $10 million to begin Sept. 1 should a new contract not materialize with the Wild.

per Russo one hour ago

https://theathletic.com/2761634/2021/08/09/pressure-mounts-in-kirill-kaprizov-talks-with-wild-as-khl-threat-is-heightened/

1 hour ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Doesn't the KHL have a salary cap of like 12 million? The current highest paid player makes like 1.7 million. I guess they will play with one line and a goalie every night.

• Wat 1

On 7/21/2021 at 2:20 PM, RWJC said:

Life is a little bit different over there too though. It’s not just the contract or tax, it’s the perks you receive outside of your contract, the connections made to oligarchs and future money/post career planning. It’s more than just signing with a hockey club and playing hockey if you’re an exceptional Russian born player and remain loyal to the KHL.

This

On 7/21/2021 at 2:20 PM, RWJC said:

Life is a little bit different over there too though. It’s not just the contract or tax, it’s the perks you receive outside of your contract, the connections made to oligarchs and future money/post career planning. It’s more than just signing with a hockey club and playing hockey if you’re an exceptional Russian born player and remain loyal to the KHL.

I think this angle is a bit overstated.

Ovechkin and other Russians have remained loyal to the NHL - not mother Russia. If what you say is true, then all Russians would want to go back, which is clearly not the case. Ovechkin could've lulled Washington into letting him go UFA, only for him to go back to Russia. Why doesn't he? He'd get paid boatloads more money than he could get here, right?

There's more to the story, I think.

The Wild’s off-season looks poor.  They haven’t added any skill up front and their D-corps took a hit.   Their cap situation for the next 4 years looks limited after the buyouts of Parise and Suter.  They need prospects to fill out the roster or league minimum players.

Rossi hasn’t played last season and Boldy has yet to make his debut.  They would need to make quite the impact for the team to take a step from last season.

Still no real C1 or C2 - Evason is talking of playing Freddy Gaudreau on a scoring line when he was a 4th liner on his previous teams.

Their D-corps looks worse.  Suter bought out and Soucy lost in expansion.  The Suter buyout remains questionable as he was still playing as a solid top-4.

Evason’s approach of spreading out talent is frustrating to watch. Wonder if their 2 most skilled players also perceive it that way. 

Is it better to play on a KHL team that can go all the way and participate at the Olympics or on the Wild, who look to have too many holes in their lineup to be truly competitive next season.

Edited by mll

No doubt there is a plan in place there and Guerin is most likely on top on the situation. He and his team has options and variations planned, worst case scenarios anticipated etc

but to the outside world… boy, that Wild team looks like a complete catastrophe right now.

How can one unsigned 24 yo rookie make such a mess there (not him personally but the situation) and how can anyone justify the moves they made to an owner? I’m sure it was agreed on beforehand but that was a brutal move and now they need to sign another player to a ridiculous amount just to keep him there for a few years.

Alexei Yashin and the fiasco on Long Island is to me the worst example of handling a similar situation. Without fact checking I think the Islanders were on the hook for his salary for like a decade or something. This time the Wild does this with two players and handicap the team for almost a decade too. Even if they can be successful they still removed any flexibility to be even better for the next 8 years.

And as a bonus they might lose the calder -winning rookie for nothing.

19 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I am also confused by this

Confused with what I'm saying? Or confused about how the KHL team can sign him for that contract?

I thought the KHL has a salary cap. Don't know if they have exemption rules or not. Just didn't think it'd be possible for them to sign him to that much money. So it would appear to be a weak negotiating tactic, unless I'm missing something here (which I probably am).