The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Kaprizov tendered significant offer from KHL's CKSA Moscow

RWJC

I realize this happens all the time and rarely does a Russian player bolt from the NHL back home, but it at least presents some competition for Guerin and could further handcuff the Wild a bit in terms of cap hit and their intended salary structure going forward. I guess this was also some what anticipated and in part helped Guerin convince ownership to approve the buyouts of Suter and Parise.

TSN: Pierre LeBrun reports Minnesota Wild winger Kirill Kaprizov received a significant offer from KHL club CSKA Moscow. Guerin is aware of it but he believes they can bridge the cap in contract talks with the 2021 Calder Trophy winner.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2188015/report-kaprizov-has-contract-offer-from-khls-cska-moscow

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Obviously there are Russians in the NHL, and not all players are gonna bolt, but this exact scenario is what scares teams off come draft time. 

That being said, I don't expect Podz to be one of those guys, he's sacrificed a lot just to get his NHL shot. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

How is this even possible in the NHL/KHL agreements?

The Nichushkin situation, if I remember correctly, was something that screwed over Dallas big time. I thought the NHL patched things up so that the KHL can't just poach players under contract.

How do you offer someone a contract that already has a pre-existing contract? And if so, there should be compensation when such a situation happens.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

The Nichushkin situation, if I remember correctly, was something that screwed over Dallas big time. I thought the NHL patched things up so that the KHL can't just poach players under contract.

How do you offer someone a contract that already has a pre-existing contract? And if so, there should be compensation when such a situation happens.

Kaprizov doesn't have a contract though, he is RFA.  

How many years of control does MINN still have of him if he goes over?   He is already 24.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

He's a pending RFA, but yeah, you think there'd be something in place to stop the KHL from going after RFA's too. I suppose it boils down to players who aren't opposed to playing in other leagues don't have to sign with an NHL team, that's how we lost Tram.. 

But yeah, if he signs, it'll really put the screws to Minnesota and their business operation as a whole. 

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Great!  I hope he goes back to Russia.  Screw over the Wild.  :lol:

This is actually bad business for the NHL. Would you feel good if the Canucks lost an impressive RFA in this way? No, this is beyond stupid for the KHL to be allowed this option.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, BCNate said:

How many years of control does MINN still have of him if he goes over?   He is already 24.

I think they own his rights for two more years.  He’s likely not wanting to sign more than a two year deal, so he can be a UFA and get a Panarin contract.  He can play in Russia for those two years, make good money, and then sign a big contract with an NHL team and make even more.  Minny will have to go over 70 million to keep him.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

This is actually bad business for the NHL. Would you feel good if the Canucks lost an impressive RFA in this way? No, this is beyond stupid for the KHL to be allowed this option.

No more stupid than the draft which allows teams to own the rights to players who are under contract with other teams, it’s basically international tampering. 

free movement of goods and services it’s seems unless you are a sports player in which case you are property. 

I’m glad the Bosman ruling over here put an end to teams owning rights to players even when not under a contract, 

it’s the equivalent of my work saying we are no longer paying you and you don’t work here but you are not allowed to work anywhere else until we let you 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

We already have with Tryamkin.  The KHL also doesn't want their players poached.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

KHL team salary cap is something around $13M USD equivalent, with top players making somewhere between $1-2M USD per season.

Somehow I think Minny can find a way to pony up enough to beat whatever CSKA is offering Kaprisov, even taking into account the differences in taxation and cost of living.

Life is a little bit different over there too though. It’s not just the contract or tax, it’s the perks you receive outside of your contract, the connections made to oligarchs and future money/post career planning. It’s more than just signing with a hockey club and playing hockey if you’re an exceptional Russian born player and remain loyal to the KHL.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

Until he turns 27.  Then he will be signing for the Canucks in the summer of 2024...  :)

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1