The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Nate Schmidt being dealt very soon any minute now

2 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

What if we just keep him?

He just wants to win.

We will be a much better team next season.

Our D-core is pretty soft. We need more defensive/physical guys to compliment our puck-movers.

Trade for OEL and emergence of Rathbone make him very expendable. 

16 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Really? Why’s that? Schmidt is a good player. Just had a bad year. Covid year. 

He was only worth a 3rd rounder last year. Before having a bad year, plus now cap space is worth even more.

Salary will be coming back in any Schmidt trade.

27 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Our D-core is pretty soft. We need more defensive/physical guys to compliment our puck-movers.

I agree.  A right handed UFA dman with grit like Tucker Poolman would work on the Nucks.  What is a reasonable return for Schmidt?  

2 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

I agree.  A right handed UFA dman with grit like Tucker Poolman would work on the Nucks.  What is a reasonable return for Schmidt?  

He should be packaging Nate and Joulevi for cheaper rhd and 3rd line centre we have a log jam on left side and we don’t need one of Joulevi or rath in press box 

16 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

He should be packaging Nate and Joulevi for cheaper rhd and 3rd line centre we have a log jam on left side and we don’t need one of Joulevi or rath in press box 

We only need 6 NHL quality D who will all play 82 games each? That's not depth.

No way we're trading OJ when you compare salary level vs potential IMO no matter draft position and injury history.

• Cheers 1

Just now, J-P said:

We only need 6 NHL quality D who will all play 82 games each? That's not depth.

No way we're trading OJ when you compare salary level vs potential IMO no matter draft position and injury history.

I’m saying value is there to trade him to fill another need and sign guy like bogosian for depth 

1 minute ago, Scottydzik said:

I’m saying value is there to trade him to fill another need and sign guy like bogosian for depth 

It's not. Maybe you get someone like Bogosian who can be added e.g. via FA instead for OJ, maybe not, but regardless it's selling so low that OJ is a much more valuable asset vs anything you could possibly expect to trade him for right now. Part of a bigger deal it might make sense, but not by himself. 

1 minute ago, J-P said:

It's not. Maybe you get someone like Bogosian who can be added e.g. via FA instead for OJ, maybe not, but regardless it's selling so low that OJ is a much more valuable asset vs anything you could possibly expect to trade him for right now. Part of a bigger deal it might make sense, but not by himself. 

Just like we said that with virtanen if there not gonns set guy loose we could easily end up with another top 10 lost for nothing 

58 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Wouldnt say Rathbone has emerged. Hes still a prospect and could still turn out to be a at best a depth guy or ahler.  This board jumped the gun and thought highly of Chatfield and Rafferty and look what happened.

Regardless,  i agree that Schmidt doesnt fit on this club.  Hes too soft a player and we already have Huggybear who is the softest dman in the game.  We need at least 4 other dmen that can play tough.

8 minutes ago, Scottydzik said:

Why would we trade OJ?  He could still develop into a top pairing dman for us.

He has the physical tools to do so.. he just needs to experience .