The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Danila Klimovich | C

Just now, Alflives said:

He’s physically ready, and has the skills for the A.  Can we sign him and he plays in the Q?  

Yeah he's a big kid for sure, but he's still a kid in a strange country, mind you if I was him I'd prefer Abby to Rouen Noranda  :)

Just now, Fred65 said:

Yeah he's a big kid for sure, but he's still a kid in a strange country, mind you if I was him I'd prefer Abby to Rouen Noranda  :)

I think he would too, because he makes money.  Although, the city he’s from is a winter wonderland, so he might enjoy a year in the Q.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I think he would too, because he makes money.  Although, the city he’s from is a winter wonderland, so he might enjoy a year in the Q.  

You become hesitant about screwing up a youngster, hey maybe he speaks French  LOL

• Cheers 1

Kid seems to have some swagger. Love that kind of attitude

Our roster is pretty deep right now so I'm doubtful he has a shot art making the NHL but if he is willing at refining his defensive game in the AHL where he can be taught the pro game then it's possible he gets a few shots in the big club periodically throughout the season

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Could prove to be great option to develop him in Abbotsford, instead of the KHL or CHL.

Well, Klimovich is drafted from the CHL which means he is not allowed to play in the AHL under the NHL contract until he is 20 years old. Canucks may sign him to the ELC and play him in the NHL or assign him to the CHL junior team in Quebec drafted him in 2020 in which case his contract would slide and does not count against the NHL's 50-contract limit. I just don't see how Danila may play in the AHL under the current rules.

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Excellent news! This is the best decision Canucks could have made in this situation. I am not going in details (don't want to jinx the deal), can just say that Dinamo Minsk is not a regular KHL club under the existing political circumstances.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Nevertheless, if we do something similar, I'm sure Bettman will find a way to fine us, or penalize us a draft pick for doing so.  That's life in the NHL for Vancouver 

Edited by Googlie
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

He’s not subject to the age 20 requirement, as he was drafted as a European prospect. The Rouyn-Noranda Huskies of the QMJHL hold his CHL rights, after selecting him in the 2020 CHL Import Draft, but since he wasn’t playing there, and didn’t have an agreement with any CHL team, when drafted (to the NHL), then the age 20 rules (as set out in the CHL-NHL Agreement) don’t apply to him. The only age limit that applies to him is the one in the AHL bylaws, which states that the minimum age for AHL eligibility is “18 years or over, on or before September 15th of each season of competition.”

It’s basically the same rules that allowed William Nylander to play in the AHL as a teenager. The Mississauga Steelheads selected Nylander in the 2014 CHL Import Draft, but he never played there, and went from Sweden to the AHL. Following his NHL entry draft in 2014, and signing an NHL ELC later that summer, Nylander went on to play for the Toronto Marlies in the 2014-15 AHL season at age 18.

The Office Reaction GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I know it’s a typo but I got a :lol: out of the idea of Benning fining himself and the Canucks.

Lol.  Oops (proof read before hitting "submit" - I rail often enough at others' failing to do so).  Now corrected (thanks)

32 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

He’s not subject to the age 20 requirement, as he was drafted as a European prospect. The Rouyn-Noranda Huskies of the QMJHL hold his CHL rights, after selecting him in the 2020 CHL Import Draft, but since he wasn’t playing there, and didn’t have an agreement with any CHL team, when drafted (to the NHL), then the age 20 rules (as set out in the CHL-NHL Agreement) don’t apply to him. The only age limit that applies to him is the one in the AHL bylaws, which states that the minimum age for AHL eligibility is “18 years or over, on or before September 15th of each season of competition.”

It’s basically the same rules that allowed William Nylander to play in the AHL as a teenager. The Mississauga Steelheads selected Nylander in the 2014 CHL Import Draft, but he never played there, and went from Sweden to the AHL. Following his NHL entry draft in 2014, and signing an NHL ELC later that summer, Nylander went on to play for the Toronto Marlies in the 2014-15 AHL season at age 18.

He did not play in the CHL because of the covid travel restrictions in Canada. As I wrote earlier, Klimovich flew to Montreal in Feb 2021 to play in the QMHJL but his entry to Canada was denied. The Rouyn-Noranda Huskies invited him, they paid for his air tickets to Montreal, their representatives waited for him in the Montreal airport. They have pretty good case if go to court.

Edit: As I mentioned earlier, Klimovich signed contract with The Rouyn-Noranda Huskies in Sep 2020 so he did have contract with a CHL club when drafted by Canucks.

Edited by Stierlitz

8 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

He did not play in the CHL because of the covid travel restrictions in Canada. As I wrote earlier, Klimovich flew to Montreal in Feb 2021 to play in the QMHJL but his entry to Canada was denied. The Rouyn-Noranda Huskies invited him, they paid for his air tickets to Montreal, their representatives waited for him in the Montreal airport. They have pretty good case if go to court.

Edit: As I mentioned earlier, Klimovich signed contract with The Rouyn-Noranda Huskies in Sep 2020 so he did have contract with a CHL club when drafted by Canucks.

My mistake, and apologies, that information wasn’t in the post I replied to. I didn’t read your earlier post, and wasn’t aware of that specific detail (signed CHL contract). 

It’ll be interesting to see if and what kind of ruling is made on his status, as I can see a case for it going either way.

It doesn’t appear that the Huskies loaned him back, so I’d be curious if the CHL contract he signed was still considered valid for his draft season, or was voided. Certainly the Huskies maintain CHL rights, either way, but the question is who truly held contractual rights for his draft season, and whether he falls under the category of European or CHL prospect.