The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Danila Klimovich | C

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

They don't have those in Russia?

HoH I am not sure if you weighed in on this pick. If you did please repeat or link me I’d love to hear your opinion. 

im getting pretty excited about him with minimal knowledge though lol

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

why do people keep saying this? Podkolzin looks just fine to me. 

What prospect has been ruined due to staying in the KHL for two years? 

Podkolzin is huge though and a top ten pick. It is different for different players. Dependent on variables like size and skillset. My problem with leaving this kid in Russia is he's likely to play 7 or 8 minutes a game in KHL. He could play in the Belarussian top league for a year where he might see 15 plus minutes. Or QMJHL where he's a top line forward. My first choice for him would be Q personally,  but each has its pros and cons.

• Cheers 1

Just now, HighOnHockey said:

Podkolzin is huge though and a top ten pick. It is different for different players. Dependent on variables like size and skillset. My problem with leaving this kid in Russia is he's likely to play 7 or 8 minutes a game in KHL. He could play in the Belarussian top league for a year where he might see 15 plus minutes. Or QMJHL where he's a top line forward. My first choice for him would be Q personally,  but each has its pros and cons.

I think Klimovich does end up in the Q, and he is going to dominate.  50+ goals for sure.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

HoH I am not sure if you weighed in on this pick. If you did please repeat or link me I’d love to hear your opinion. 

im getting pretty excited about him with minimal knowledge though lol

Lol you mean you didn't read all 18 pages? Just that I'm not very familiar. There was a few other players on the board I really liked but I dunno this player, and I trust Sergei Chibisov more than myself, so I'll withhold judgement.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think Klimovich does end up in the Q, and he is going to dominate.  50+ goals for sure.  

As an 18 year old rookie coming from a much weaker league? That would be a very pleasant surprise. I'd be happy with something around 1.25 p/g.  Remember a lot of kids coming over from weaker leagues at 17 or 18 don't put up huge numbers right away, even if they're going to go on to be successful. Bjorkstrand, Niederreiter, Zacha.

Just now, HighOnHockey said:

As an 18 year old rookie coming from a much weaker league? That would be a very pleasant surprise. I'd be happy with something around 1.25 p/g.  Remember a lot of kids coming over from weaker leagues at 17 or 18 don't put up huge numbers right away, even if they're going to go on to be successful. Bjorkstrand, Niederreiter, Zacha.

Klimovich is way better than any of those other guys.  while othe prospects are partying waiting for their draft call, this guy is climbing hills (working out) so he can be even better.  Combine his size, speed, and elite skills, with compete, and we got ourselves another great young player.  Steal of this draft.  I predict he’s better than Geunther, and by a lot.  

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

I'd compare Klimovich, at least at this point in his development, to Alexander Radulov. Coming over from Russia, or in Klimovich's case Belarus, and then playing in the QMJHL, and then dominating. Only time will really tell whether he pans out in the same way, but I'm hopeful. He's got a great foundation to build off of, skills-wise. Super raw, but the potential is definitely there.

The guys at Dobber gave him an 8.5 for NHL certainty, or an 85% chance of making the NHL, which is nice. Upside looking good too at 7.0, which is just 0.5 less than Stankoven, who I had ranked in the top 10.

Looking forward to seeing how Klimovich interviews and what his character is like. Gotta get guys who can help the Canucks build their winning culture.

Edited by S N Y P E R S 7
  • Cheers 2

36 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Lol you mean you didn't read all 18 pages? Just that I'm not very familiar. There was a few other players on the board I really liked but I dunno this player, and I trust Sergei Chibisov more than myself, so I'll withhold judgement.

hahah it’s been a wild couple days I’ve missed some big chunks of posts now on the boards. Thanks mate that’s exactly how I feel.

13 minutes ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

I'd compare Klimovich, at least at this point in time, to Alexander Radulov. Coming over from Russia, or in Klimovich's case Belarus, and then playing in the QMJHL, and then dominating. Only time will really tell whether he pans out in the same way, but I'm hopeful. He's got a great foundation to build off of, skills-wise. Super raw, but the potential is definitely there.

The guys at Dobber gave him an 8.5 for NHL certainty, or an 85% chance of making the NHL, which is nice. Upside looking good too at 7.0, which is just 0.5 less than Stankoven, who I had ranked in the top 10.

Looking forward to seeing how Klimovich interviews and what his character is like. Gotta get guys who can help the Canucks build their winning culture.

Oh I like this comparison a lot. And agree if he can be a piece that fits in ina few years and helps build that culture this picks a big win. Hope passing on stankoven doesn’t burn us later as well.

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Klimovich is way better than any of those other guys.  while othe prospects are partying waiting for their draft call, this guy is climbing hills (working out) so he can be even better.  Combine his size, speed, and elite skills, with compete, and we got ourselves another great young player.  Steal of this draft.  I predict he’s better than Geunther, and by a lot.  

Optimism and a big hot take love it!

if he ends up having a greater career than Guenther that would be amazing. 

the great thing is we can afford to be patient with him. I feel like if we drafted him years ago we would have ruined him. But now we are going to have a proper path for him, no rush to bring him up and when he plays in the ahl he’ll even have the Sedins involved in his development so very exciting. He’ll also be I. The city and maybe become friends with podz quick.

really optimistic about the team, the draft and the direction of the ship right now.

just need to get holtby Schmidt and our back end sorted out.

Edited by R3aL
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

is the AHL an option? 

33 minutes ago, awalk said:

Fun fact... I believe the last team to win a Stanley Cup that did NOT have at least one Russian born, impact player on their roster was the 2014 Los Angeles Kings. 

Voynov, although a piece of crap, was an important player for the kings.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

is the AHL an option? 

Yeah I believe it is. Again like the KHL though it is a pretty darn good pro league and would be a big step for him. Would rather have him in either Q or Belarus for a year and then make the jump to AHL at 19. I recall Detroit brought over Tatar to AHL right after he was drafted, which is unusual for a 2nd rounder, but as a late birthday Tatar was about to turn 19. If he does go and play Q I'm not sure what happens to his AHL eligibility at 19 though. Looking back to players like Sandin and John Carlson, I think as long as you're not drafted out of the CHL, you can go to CHL and maintain AHL eligibility at 19. Don't quote me on this but that would be my best understanding.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Yeah I believe it is. Again like the KHL though it is a pretty darn good pro league and would be a big step for him. Would rather have him in either Q or Belarus for a year and then make the jump to AHL at 19. I recall Detroit brought over Tatar to AHL right after he was drafted, which is unusual for a 2nd rounder, but as a late birthday Tatar was about to turn 19. If he does go and play Q I'm not sure what happens to his AHL eligibility at 19 though. Looking back to players like Sandin and John Carlson, I think as long as you're not drafted out of the CHL, you can go to CHL and maintain AHL eligibility at 19. Don't quote me on this but that would be my best understanding.

On 7/25/2021 at 10:06 AM, Stierlitz said:

@stawns Okay, I figure this out. Danila has signed QMJHL contract with Huskies de Rouyn-Noranda in Sep 2020. So he is officially drafted from the CHL. https://sportarena.by/hockey/danil-klimovich-igrok-ruan-noranda-haskiz/

klim.jpg

21 hours ago, The Lock said:

This makes no sense to me. You say he's in a men's league and then suggest a boys league?

I get really wanting someone to take a certain step, but please come up with a more logical reasoning behind it. I'm not partial to anything here but this made no sense as I've stated. lol

20 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Not sure where this idea is coming from that Vysshaya Liga is a men's league? This kid is not ready for AHL; what in God's name is going on around here? Almost seems like some folks are intentionally spreading misinformation to set unrealistic expectations.

Last season Klimovich played almost entire season for Minskie Zubry in the junior Vysshaya Liga and 6 games for Dinamo-Molodechno in the Belarus Extra Liga (mens liga). Both clubs are part of the KHL club Dinamo, Minsk. Junior club Minskie Zubry is farm club for Dinamo-Molodechno. Klimovich has been always playing in the Dinamo-Minsk system and is now on tryout for his KHL club.

Сorrection: Danila also played three games for Dinamo-Molodechno in the Salei Cup (top mens hockey cup in Belarus) in 2021.

Edited by Stierlitz
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Safe to say it's a Chibisov pick primarily, so that's pretty encouraging, given the way Podkolzin is developing.

I would say this is Jim Benning's pick primarily since Jim was in Texas during the U18 world tournament and watched this prospect live.

• Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

I would say this is Jim Benning's pick primarily since Jim was in Texas during the U18 world tournament and watched this prospect live.

very likely. They must have also thought they had a good chance to get him which likely played into their decision to move the 9th. 

I'm pretty happy the more I read about this kid. We need some grit, and someone willing to take physical play to the other team. I just hope two more years of development is enough to get him here. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Ok, I'm convinced; you're right, I was too excited and wanted him in A, so we could call him up sooner.

Still rather have him over here than in the K.

Sounds like we wouldn't have been able to move him to the A anyway, as he was 'drafted [by us, while] in the CHL'.

Do we have to wait until he turns 20 before we can move him from the Q to the A?

Yes, the 20-year rule applies to him since he was officially drafted from the CHL.