The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Danila Klimovich | C

1 hour ago, Butters Stoch said:

Was anyone else able to find former NHL players from this league and their draft year stats? Having a hard time finding this info

Someone with more knowledge of Belarusian hockey can correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the league has only existed for about 15 years or so, and while there have been plenty of quality Belarusian NHLers over the years, most of them probably came up through the Russian (or Soviet, going back earlier) system. Also, there hasn’t necessarily been a stable level of quality to that league, so comparing stats from past players might not be too informative, unless you’re running those numbers through a model that accounts for several factors (and even then, sample sizes probably make it difficult to establish good equivalency factors).

This is a big reason why we should probably ignore any kind of analytics chart for Klimovich that claims to predict his chances of NHL success or his NHL equivalent points, based on his Belarusian league play, because those numbers are not likely to provide much value. With other league systems, I have a lot of time for analytics and equivalency models, but in this case, you have to trust the scouts and eyeballs on the player, and hope that they’re right, because the numbers IMO aren’t really going to provide great value, especially when looking for NHL comparables.

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

• Stierlitz
  • Members
  • 2,496 posts

His home town Pinsk, the town with 1000-year history.

Yeah -  I googled Pinsk too.  Funny how that river/canal defines the city boundary.  Most places would have been built up both banks.  Is that maybe the demarcation line between two Oblasts?

image.png.fd60999aadb07dd54cff446a3e78273d.png

Edited by Googlie
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Yep.

He's the next OV-lite.

And we also drafted our next Sami Salo in this draft, not to mention a Marty St Louis, Neidermeyer, a Zetterburg, and a Markstrom!

Who needs the 9OA when you're about to pull off the stealthiest stealteroo of all the draft stealoramas?

It happens every year, the draft followed by adoration outta of all proportion  :lol:

5 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

There is interview with Danila regarding his NHL draft (in Russian):

https://belarushockey.com/nhl/news_nhl/2021/07/25/danila-klimovich-rasskazal-ob-emocijah-drafta-nhl,-v-kotorom-ego-vybral-vankuver/

Q: Tell us how you followed the draft and where you had been at that moment.

A: We had just returned from hiking exercise and were following the draft with cell phones. Guys noticed this first and told me that I was drafted by Vancouver.

Q: Did you have any preferences about NHL club?

A: You never know in the NHL which team is going to draft you. Anyway I am very glad and happy that this happened the way it happened.

Q: Who congratulated you first beside your teammates?

A: My agent Dan Milstein. And then I run to our fan club where my dad was waiting for me, to share my joy with him.

Q: Are you planning to celebrate this news?

A: My dad is already celebrating (smile). We are going to have large dinner with our relatives and friends when I get back to Pinsk (his home town). But I am still on training right now.

Q: Did Canucks contact you?

A: Yes, they called me right after selection. I got calls from about 25 NHL clubs before the draft, some of them were very interested in me. Only Colorado, Chicago and one more team did not call me.

Q: What do you feel as the dream of each young hockey player comes true for you?

A: This is very cool. I work hard, never give up. Always trying to get better. This pays out.

Maybe he wasn't such a surprise after all... seems fairly coveted if all but 3 NHL clubs contacted him....

This suggests they were all fairly sure, there is something there...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Googlie said:
  • His home town Pinsk, the town with 1000-year history. 

Yeah -  I googled Pinsk too.  Funny how that river/canal defines the city boundary.  Most places would have been built up both banks.  Is that maybe the demarcation line between two Oblasts?

image.png.fd60999aadb07dd54cff446a3e78273d.png

This is Pripyat river separating the town built on one river bank with solid ground from the famous Pinsk Marshes on the other bank

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinsk_Marshes

• Thanks 2

I mean I'm definitely not gonna say I didn't want

Heimosalmi 3 picks later 

Jack Bar 1 pick later

Sobolev 2 picks later

Daniil Lazutin Not drafted

Jake Martin Not drafted   

But I'm very excited to watch the guys we got develop. Klimovich is one hell of a sleeper pick I like that JB put his nutz on the table. Bold move cotton. I just hope he's done his homework. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Heimosalmi 3 picks later 

Jack Bar 1 pick later

Sobolev 2 picks later

Jake Martin Not drafted   

But I'm very excited to watch the guys we got develop. Klimovich is one hell of a sleeper pick I like that JB put his nutz on the table. Bold move cotton. I just hope he's done his homework. 

I just honestly don’t think he was ever that much of a sleeper. Seems every NHL team had him on their radar. 

13 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Heimosalmi 3 picks later 

Jack Bar 1 pick later

Sobolev 2 picks later

Jake Martin Not drafted   

Raty might be the guy everyone kicks themselves for passing on.

But he seemed like too much of a risk to me.

• Upvote 1

I like the idea of this type of player. No one really knows what this kids potential is.

Get him into the Q next year and see what he can do in an organized well coach league.

Cross your fingers.

35 minutes ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

Stankoven... :(

Stinky is a bustaroo bonsai.  Guy is small, and struggles with skill and skating.  Works in Junior, but not in the NHL.  He’s a career AHLer.  Waste of a pick.