The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Danila Klimovich | C

7 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

Can't find much footage or info about the guy other than his stats. I will say they appear kind of underwhelming but there's reason to project he'll be much better.

The guy is almost a goal per game player last year.  And 1.5 points per game.  He’s big, fast, skilled, mean, dedicated, and hyper competitive.  He’s a friggin’ steal.  

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Lol

B0685B59-335F-48AB-B50A-435228D4C97A.jpeg

I guess he was supposed to send a nicely worded note and flowers instead. 

I like that he's a hot head. Miller was too. He'll learn to channel it the right way. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Not sure where this idea is coming from that Vysshaya Liga is a men's league? This kid is not ready for AHL; what in God's name is going on around here? Almost seems like some folks are intentionally spreading misinformation to set unrealistic expectations.

At least someone gets it, this kid is very very raw. If I'm honest I don't see what the Canucks see, but they have earned the benefit of the doubt on this one for now. Either way, we won't see this kid for at least 2-3 years. He should play in the KHL, it will be easier for him to learn what to do when he doesn't have the puck if he has coaches that speak his language. He doesn't do anything quick enough to play in the AHL.

Edited by FlyLow_

9 hours ago, Sp3nny said:

He's saying men's league in that's the level of competition. It's low tier, men's league like hockey. Not men's league like he's playing with actual men lol.

I think everyone needs to actually watch some tape on the kid and see the level of competition. He was 16th in league scoring at 1.41 PPG. The leading scorer was at 2.55 PPG and the runner up at 1.91 PPG was 5'7 115lbs. However, the top 4 scorers in the league were all on the same team, so it seems they were a stacked team. Klimovich was second on his team in scoring, so he seemed to pull his weight.

Anyone saying he's "dominant", "way too good", or "too big" for junior NA hockey needs to do a serious assessment. When put in the context of where he actually ranks in the league, you will realize he most definitely should not be out in the deep end right away. Taking a step up to the Q is exactly where he needs to go. If he dominates, awesome! But I personally doubt he would come over and destroy the league

As I said prior, he is very, very raw. He has physical gifts, but his hockey skills need some serious work. He has a rly nice shot, and his stickhandling is excellent as well. Not great acceleration, but his top end speed is nice. At times, he shows ok creativity and vision in his passes, but often, he tries to show off his individual skills, and really likes to put the puck on net. He is often calling for the puck when he doesn't have it.

There isn't a ton of tape on the kid, but if you take the time to watch, you will see how often and easily he is able to go end to end and score a goal. It looks awesome, but you can see just how low tier the hockey is, and why a smaller step up in competition level is plenty to help him develop.

Ok, I'm convinced; you're right, I was too excited and wanted him in A, so we could call him up sooner.

Still rather have him over here than in the K.

Sounds like we wouldn't have been able to move him to the A anyway, as he was 'drafted [by us, while] in the CHL'.

Do we have to wait until he turns 20 before we can move him from the Q to the A?

(enough frikckin letters!)

3 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

At least someone gets it, this kid is very very raw. If I'm honest I don't see what the Canucks see, but they have earned the benefit of the doubt on this one for now. Either way, we won't see this kid for at least 2-3 years. He should play in the KHL, it will be easier for him to learn what to do when he doesn't have the puck if he has coaches that speak his language. He doesn't do anything quick enough to play in the AHL.

You may have a point about the language, but he'll be lucky to see 8 minutes a night in the KHL. I don't know enough about the player to say what development method would be best. Sp3nny mentioned he needs work on some skills, so maybe just being around and practicing with the pros full-time would be a good thing. Reports I read online also say he has a tendency to try to do too much with the puck, which makes a lot of sense for a player who would have always been the most skilled player around. So maybe being in the KHL and getting humbled a bit wouldn't be so bad for him either. I dunno, like I said, don't really have an opinion so just thinking out loud here.

• Cheers 1

Having him play in the Q for a season or two would be better then leaving him over there. If he performs well he will get tons of ice time in all situations. He will get good coaching and quality trainers. He should be brought over as soon as possible so they can get him a skating coach.

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

Having him play in the Q for a season or two would be better then leaving him over there. If he performs well he will get tons of ice time in all situations. He will get good coaching and quality trainers. He should be brought over as soon as possible so they can get him a skating coach.

They don't have those in Russia?

2 minutes ago, appleboy said:

why do people keep saying this? Podkolzin looks just fine to me. 

What prospect has been ruined due to staying in the KHL for two years? 

Looks like a good swing for the fences type pick, I trust our European scouts as they have killed it in the last few years. Would have probably taken Raty or Chibrikov personally but we will wait and see Klimovich is such a fairly unknown wildcard in the draft.  

18 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Cambridge dictionary defines prospect as "the possibility that something good might happen in the future." So yeah, you're gonna find dreamers in the prospects section. Sue us. God forbid people actually have a bright out look on the future. Wanna be negative, hit up Twitter. They hate everything there. Right up your alley.

I've heard that claim, negativety,  a couple of times on this forum. Strangely enough I just don't think that's the case. Draft picks for example I've studied the data about the likelihood of success and it's not good. That's not me that's the stats/facts. There's a big drop off after the top 10 and another after the first round, drops to some thing like 20% succeeess rate. Some simply can't handle facts like that and dream the impossible dream. I think many people who have their own business for instance can't simply dream success, you can't budget a company with dreams. So sure take you cheap shots and have a laugh about it but reality will catch you up eventually, count on it :)

51 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

why do people keep saying this? Podkolzin looks just fine to me. 

What prospect has been ruined due to staying in the KHL for two years? 

It sounds like he is playing preseason games for a KHL team.

I have no worries about him playing in the KHL. If he gets stuck in a crappy lower end league , that would not be the best. So far his try out with the Dinamo Minsk looks to be going well.

3 minutes ago, appleboy said:

It sounds like he is playing preseason games for a KHL team.

I have no worries about him playing in the KHL. If he gets stuck in a crappy lower end league , that would not be the best. So far his try out with the Dinamo Minsk looks to be going well.

I don't mind how Russia makes their kids earn ice time. Its a good lesson. To me the next two years are about him improving his skating, continuing to grow physically, practice and yes some low minutes probably. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't mind how Russia makes their kids earn ice time. Its a good lesson. To me the next two years are about him improving his skating, continuing to grow physically, practice and yes some low minutes probably. 

Being that he was a unknown player. Barely scouted yet he is getting a look from a KHL club. That bodes well for this pick. 

What I could find out about the league he was in, it didn't sound like much. The tournament is what put him on the map.

If he makes a KHL club, that would be impressive. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Just want to clear up some thing. This kid Klimovich did not play in the Russian junior/develpment league ....correct ?? so they don't have a hold on him like Podkolzyn, MUST stay for 2 years within the Russian system. So if he chooses to stay in the KHL it could be for 1 year only ????

4 minutes ago, buddhahoodlum said:

Better a dreamer than a cynic.

Much like betting, you can spend your money on a dream or put it in savings/bonds. Few people win gambling and God knows there's a lot of fools out there  who think they can:lol: