The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Danila Klimovich | C

10 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

These clips are very encouraging! His skating actually looks quite improved compared to my prior videos. You could see in the U18 video that it had improved already, but this looks another notch ahead. He has always looked better picking up speed in crossovers, hence his love of winding up in the neutral zone. But he looks very effective in backing up the defense in this way, and his hands allow him to he very deceptive about if he's going to cut inside or wide.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

Canucks wanted to add a Russian to the roster, to help Podkolzin, some familiarity of home.

Enter Klimovich

He might not be Russian, but Russian is an official language in Belarus, so he speaks it, and Belarus is Russia's neighbour.  

• Cheers 2

Minsk has the biggest Arena in the KHL (capacity) at just over 15,000. Will be overtaken in a couple of years by both Moscow and St Petersburg,  both aiming at 18 000+

Just reconfigured from international size (60m x 30m) to Finnish size (60 x 28). NHL is 200' x 85' (61m x 26m)

image.thumb.png.895f2fe7c75303e2ad555995fc80e361.png

Edited by Googlie
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Biggest Arena in the KHL (capacity) at just over 15,000. Will be overtaken in a couple of years by both Moscow and St Petersburg,  both aiming at 18 000+

Just reconfigured from international size (60m x 30m) to Finnish size (60 x 28). NHL is 60 x 26

image.thumb.png.895f2fe7c75303e2ad555995fc80e361.png

Which KHL team plays in this building. I went to a game in Linkoping a few years ago, about half the size of this one.

9 hours ago, 204CanucksFan said:

I really have no problem with him going and playing next season with Minsk if he doesn't make the team out of camp. What happened with Podkolzin and SKA isn't going to be what happens to Klimovich. The KHL is a league of  the 'Haves' and 'Have Nots', and basically every team outside of SKA and CSKA belong to the 'Have Not' group. Minsk is the kind of team that just wants to compete in the KHL and they will play anyone who they think gives them a chance to win.

They won't have the attitude of "If you don't sign with us we aren't going to play you", plus it looks really good for them having the young, local kid playing a major role for the team. If the kid can go to the KHL, play top 6 minutes and put up points as an 18/19 year old it could be better for his development than the AHL.

As many have pointed out the Minsk coaching and development staff are very heavily geared towards the NA style. Also add in that the majority of teams in the KHL use an NA size rink so he can get used to that size ice and the kind of time and space it affords. The other big factor for me is that, despite there being some debate on the topic on these boards, the KHL is still the 2nd best hockey league in the world. And I really can't see a downside to having him developing in a major role in that league.

Totally agree with this. I'm definitely warmed up to this pick after watching more video of this guy. I completely get it why Benning is so excited about this guy. That being said, letting him go to the KHL will allow him to take his time and develop. There is no need to rush him. He can develop the leadership skills while he's at home in Minsk. He's still just a kid. I'm sure Benning won't push this kid to come over so soon, but I could be wrong! Maybe the AHL will fast track him to success.

Edited by Dazzle

10 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I think he would be fine in the AHL everyone needs to temper their expectations. He would probably be fine playing a depth role 10-14 mins a night and learning to be a pro. Get him a skating coach and nutrition regime, English tutor. Prepare the kid properly. Would probably do him a lot more good than dominating teenagers in the Q.

Totally agree.  This kid is way too good for junior.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I think he would be fine in the AHL everyone needs to temper their expectations. He would probably be fine playing a depth role 10-14 mins a night and learning to be a pro. Get him a skating coach and nutrition regime, English tutor. Prepare the kid properly. Would probably do him a lot more good than dominating teenagers in the Q.

Ugh. Stop believing anything Alf says. What in God's good name makes you think he is going to "dominate" teenagers in the Q"? Do people have any idea how weak this Belarussian junior league he played last year was? The Belarussian second pro league is worse than the CHL. With Vysshaya, we're talking worse than any Canadian junior A league. But this doesn't need to be such a terrible thing. Acknowledging this fact does not mean saying it was a bad draft pick. He has talent, but he's come up through a very weak developmental system, relative to Canadians, Swedes, etc. The fact of the matter is, he is likely a worse player right now than most of the players drafted around where he was drafted. This is not pejorative, it is the way things work. Different prospects have different strengths and weaknesses and are at different places in their development. Clearly the team liked his size, athleticism, work ethic, confidence, aggressiveness, competitiveness, as well as certain aspects of his skillset. The fact that he is behind others drafted in the second round just means he has a lot of room to grow, and it is going to take a minute, but clearly Chibisov and co. like the upside.

One thing you said is true, we do need to seriously temper expectations. From what I've read so far the Q seems the most likely option for him this coming season. It is going to be a big step up in quality of competition for him. As I mentioned before, other top prospects who came from weaker hockey countries - even ones that went on to have success in the NHL - had an adjustment period when they came over to play major junior. Look at Bjorkstrand, Niederreiter, Rieder, Panik, etc. Of course there are exceptions for truly special talents like Ehlers, Rossi, Vanek, etc. But for a second round pick like Klimovich, anything up around 1.25 p/g for Klimovich in the Q next year would have to be considered a really good step forward.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Ugh. Stop believing anything Alf says. What in God's good name makes you think he is going to "dominate" teenagers in the Q"? Do people have any idea how weak this Belarussian junior league he played last year was? The Belarussian second pro league is worse than the CHL. With Vysshaya, we're talking worse than any Canadian junior A league. But this doesn't need to be such a terrible thing. Acknowledging this fact does not mean saying it was a bad draft pick. He has talent, but he's come up through a very weak developmental system, relative to Canadians, Swedes, etc. The fact of the matter is, he is likely a worse player right now than most of the players drafted around where he was drafted. This is not pejorative, it is the way things work. Different prospects have different strengths and weaknesses and are at different places in their development. Clearly the team liked his size, athleticism, work ethic, confidence, aggressiveness, competitiveness, as well as certain aspects of his skillset. The fact that he is behind others drafted in the second round just means he has a lot of room to grow, and it is going to take a minute, but clearly Chibisov and co. like the upside.

One thing you said is true, we do need to seriously temper expectations. From what I've read so far the Q seems the most likely option for him this coming season. It is going to be a big step up in quality of competition for him. As I mentioned before, other top prospects who came from weaker hockey countries - even ones that went on to have success in the NHL - had an adjustment period when they came over to play major junior. Look at Bjorkstrand, Niederreiter, Rieder, Panik, etc. Of course there are exceptions for truly special talents like Ehlers, Rossi, Vanek, etc. But for a second round pick like Klimovich, anything up around 1.25 p/g for Klimovich in the Q next year would have to be considered a really good step forward.

Ok so maybe "dominate" is dramatic but that wasn't really the point of my post. I think he has the size and abilities that he could be cooked slowly in the AHL and taught how to be a pro where the Canucks have "control" and can really support him. Vs the KHL where ya.......  I think it is most likely that he goes to the Q but I worry he get's stuck there until he's 20 I do not hold the QMJHL in high regard as a development league. Regardless of if he dominates the league or not is it the best place for him to sharpen his tools? Is he sharpening the right tools. I'm more concerned with that than his PPG.

• Cheers 3

Perhaps I'm scarred by how poorly so many of our drafted players from the CHL perform but I really hope he doesn't go to the QMJHL and goes straight to the AHL. He'll have higher levels of competition, get acclimated to BC, and he'll get direct instructions from the Canucks being so close. We also have so much more control over his development than if he goes to the QMJHL. Even if he plays minutes at the level that Pdokolzin was in his +1 draft year in the KHL, I'd prefer that to juniors. 

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

Perhaps I'm scarred by how poorly so many of our drafted players from the CHL perform but I really hope he doesn't go to the QMJHL and goes straight to the AHL. He'll have higher levels of competition, get acclimated to BC, and he'll get direct instructions from the Canucks being so close. We also have so much more control over his development than if he goes to the QMJHL. Even if he plays minutes at the level that Pdokolzin was in his +1 draft year in the KHL, I'd prefer that to juniors. 

I mean, maybe we got an absolute homerun steal, but 18 year old 2nd round picks coming from such weak developmental systems just don't play in the AHL. He is not ready. It's a nice idea, but very likely he'd be playing closer to 7 or 8 minutes a game than 14 or 15. Probably not best for his development. Personally I absolutely think Q is the best path for him. He could be a 1-1.25 p/g player at 18, then perhaps dominate at 19.

• Like 1

While I think the Q would be a great development path with lots of ice time. AHL may be the better option due to the coaches and resources they will have now that they are in Abby. If he is playing fourth line limited minutes he is probably better off in the Q, the only issue is if he goes to the Q does he have to wait until he is 20 to play in Utica full time? 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

I mean, maybe we got an absolute homerun steal, but 18 year old 2nd round picks coming from such weak developmental systems just don't play in the AHL. He is not ready. It's a nice idea, but very likely he'd be playing closer to 7 or 8 minutes a game than 14 or 15. Probably not best for his development. Personally I absolutely think Q is the best path for him. He could be a 1-1.25 p/g player at 18, then perhaps dominate at 19.

I have to disagree with going to the Q. 

He skates solid, he's physically capable and playing against a higher level is going to stretch his abilities in the AHL. 

That has always been the case with anyone, regardless whether it's hockey or anything else. You have to continually push yourself against better players, adjust and adapt or not. I say put him in the AHL. He's going to have better coaching, development, and the Canucks will have full control over his development. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

No he can play this season in the Q and if the team thinks he's ready then he can play his 19 yr old season in the AHL.

Then that's probably the move unless Abby can get him at least 12-15 mins a night consistently. 

2 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

I have to disagree with going to the Q. 

He skates solid, he's physically capable and playing against a higher level is going to stretch his abilities in the AHL. 

That has always been the case with anyone, regardless whether it's hockey or anything else. You have to continually push yourself against better players, adjust and adapt or not. I say put him in the AHL. He's going to have better coaching, development, and the Canucks will have full control over his development. 

Q is  a big enough step up from where he was. Pushing yourself is one thing, actual playing time is also crucial. Also we keep talking like it is the player's choice. He'd have to make the AHL team first.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Then that's probably the move unless Abby can get him at least 12-15 mins a night consistently. 

Would love if that was the case, but as I said earlier, if he is capable of that, then we have an absolute homerun steal of a pick on our hands. Also I'm doubtful he is able to play AHL at 19 if he plays Q, Someone posted earlier that he was confirmed to have signed a contract with a Q team last year before he was unable to come over, thus meaning he was technically drafted out of the CHL.

• Cheers 1