The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Danila Klimovich | C

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Funny that these comments came onto this thread. I recently had a conversation with someone who hosted a young Russian girl who was here as an exchange student. Very attractive girl and pleasant on the surface. What my friend discovered over time was that this girl was incredibly manipulative and always viewed every situation as an opportunity to take advantage of. Also used her looks to impress the guys. My observation was that this girls behavior probably reflected the society she was raised in. Many Russians have to really scramble and connive to survive and if possible, get ahead. Their corrupt government is no example to take direction from. 

I think a lot has to do with where in Russia you were brought up and also if you have had any exposure to living in North America esp. as an exchange student. I have followed the blogs of two different Russian families on YouTube for many years now; one lives in the far East near Vladivostok and the other lives in an area around Shakhty Russia; fairly close to the Russian / Ukraine border area. Both families are rural but connected to the internet. The student in the far East spent a year in the US on a college exchange program in 2019 and was really taken aback by the cultural differences. Virtually no-one smiles or appears cheerful in Russia compared to what she experienced in the USA. It really changed her perception. She has been careful to not post anything that could get her in trouble with the authorities but has gone silent for the past few weeks. A friend or hers who fled to Georgia (Country not State) said that she is still OK but fearful of posting anything now. The family close to the Donbas area has also gone silent. Last post was just a photo of their 16 yr old daughter and she appears to be very distressed. (her older brother is 20 and maybe conscripted to join - not sure)

I think there is a notable difference between the older generations and the younger generations that are more connected to the rest of the world through the internet. The younger ones have a better picture of the outside world whereas the older generation has been spoon fed Russian propaganda from day one.

Just read a news clip about the large exodus of young well educated Russians to Finland, Georgia and Kazakhstan. This will certainly impact the Russian populace in future years IMO.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Is there a connection between the two? Klimovich is Belarusian and Podz is Russian.

Same language; similar culture.  I don't think they've met up very many times, but I  bet that

by the time Abby finish their playoff run, they will be good buddies.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Same language; similar culture.  I don't think they've met up very many times, but I  bet that

Wives might be best friends too.  

4 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I didn't realize how many Belarusians speak Russian, but today I learned something. Seems like a lot still speak Belarusian too.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Ok Drunkle Happy Fingers....so now that Trudeau not only controls the media, the oil prices, housing prices, wages, inflation, pensions AND the war in Ukraine.

Explain to us how he couldn't remove 300 pissed off rednecks in Ottawa sniffing Diesel fumes and rocking a bouncy castle.

SUPER interested to hear about Schroedingers PM on that front

It was the diesel fumes that turned the tide - every time Trudeau got near those trucks’ exhaust, he got another case of blackface and banana in the pants. Nobody seemed to mind the blackface, it was that dratted yellow, racist banana that kept him away. While the truckers were on strike, he couldn’t find a fresh banana. So, he decided to prevent people from talking about the 3.5 million adverse affects they were miraculously coming down with from a treatment so reliable that they tried to sequester the development notes for seventy-five years. But some stupid American judge decided they had to release them by the end of this year - the first two releases are revealing enough to know why they wanted to hide that data.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Ok Drunkle Happy Fingers....so now that Trudeau not only controls the media, the oil prices, housing prices, wages, inflation, pensions AND the war in Ukraine.

Explain to us how he couldn't remove 300 pissed off rednecks in Ottawa sniffing Diesel fumes and rocking a bouncy castle.

SUPER interested to hear about Schroedingers PM on that front

Came for the prospect updates. Stayed for the crazy guy living in his mom's basement AKA  foil lined "bunker".

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Came for the prospect updates. Stayed for the crazy guy living in his mom's basement AKA  foil lined "bunker".

Really? Mom’s dead and she had no basement, no foil, made money in high tech making unconventional stuff, so I get to have my own basement. Is your accuracy at the meaning of current events any better than your read of people?

If you want to be a member of a herd, just get behind the behind of the behind in front of you. The worst that could be said of the last lemming over the cliff is that he was so proud of thinking just like everybody else. To know anything different from what everybody else believes, you have to seek information that they don’t have. Successful people know things others don’t know, do things others don’t do, believe things that others don’t believe, question everything at least once, and for sure don’t accept anything that everybody knows at face value.

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

@Boudrias and @Kootenay Gold started with generalizations about people based on where they're from and their anecdotal evidence.  

@Ray_Cathode then brought up politics into this.  

@Warhippy and @aGENT never saw a political discussion they didn't like and continued it.  

Are we all done?  This is a prospects thread, keep all that crap in the Off Topic. 

20 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Funny that these comments came onto this thread. I recently had a conversation with someone who hosted a young Russian girl who was here as an exchange student. Very attractive girl and pleasant on the surface. What my friend discovered over time was that this girl was incredibly manipulative and always viewed every situation as an opportunity to take advantage of. Also used her looks to impress the guys. My observation was that this girls behavior probably reflected the society she was raised in. Many Russians have to really scramble and connive to survive and if possible, get ahead. Their corrupt government is no example to take direction from. 

To survive abuse, one must adapt and develop border line traits which are more like PTSD trauma but when a person learns not to get hit, but still try and climb the social ladder, manipulation becomes a survival skill.  

When the social fabric of any nation, Empire or system of government allows un checked conflict of interest to be overly acting on, that is when corruption is taking over.  

In the west, we have massive white collar crime issues, but in Russia the white collar Criminals are the government and they are as directly tied to the ‘oligarchs’ which are no different that the central and South America Cartels in the methods and means that they operate, but in Russia, it’s all state sanctioned and in Mexico, the government is in a very hard fight to prevent the Cartels from turning Mexico into Russia.  

Brazil is basically a South American version of the same corruption and type of government, where the president, he rewards the corrupt business leader and generals that backed him and hands out massive government contracts and seized properties from rivals.  

Hitler did that to gain favour for the German Industrialists in his rise to power.  

Life is cheap and predators can be the very ones that are supposed to protect them 

when you best hope at a future is to sell your vagina to some dude in another country for money and a visa, well that’s a $&!# deal.  

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Interesting. Kind of like the fate Trudeau has in mind for us by deciding who can report on the news - apparently, anyone disagreeing with the left wing party line is to be cancelled - such as Rebel News, True North, and the like. Saying who can report the news is like saying only special people are allowed to talk - pretty much like Animal Farm. I hope everyone is learning to ‘oink’ in unison. Many won’t have to change a thing, being quite content to wallow in the sty.

Media has to be held accountable. Not sure how that is done if government controls the flow of money to some but not others. Unfortunately what some pass off as news is often opinion or even worse. Rebel does a lot of advocacy and are branded for that. Generally leftist opinion gets a bye and are not held to the same standard. What is journalism these days? I think most people are simply tuning out.  

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

@Boudrias and @Kootenay Gold started with generalizations about people based on where they're from and their anecdotal evidence.  

@Warhippy and @aGENT never saw a political discussion they didn't like and continued it.  

Are we all done?  This is a prospects thread, keep all that crap in the Off Topic. 

My bad. We did get off topic.

Still concerned about Podz going back to Russia but at least Klim is planning on staying and training here in Canada.

Will be fun to watch both Klim and Podz play together in Abby if the VanNucks do not make the playoffs but I am still hoping that the VanNucks make it.

11 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

It was the diesel fumes that turned the tide - every time Trudeau got near those trucks’ exhaust, he got another case of blackface and banana in the pants. Nobody seemed to mind the blackface, it was that dratted yellow, racist banana that kept him away. While the truckers were on strike, he couldn’t find a fresh banana. So, he decided to prevent people from talking about the 3.5 million adverse affects they were miraculously coming down with from a treatment so reliable that they tried to sequester the development notes for seventy-five years. But some stupid American judge decided they had to release them by the end of this year - the first two releases are revealing enough to know why they wanted to hide that data.

10 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Really? Mom’s dead and she had no basement, no foil, made money in high tech making unconventional stuff, so I get to have my own basement. Is your accuracy at the meaning of current events any better than your read of people?

If you want to be a member of a herd, just get behind the behind of the behind in front of you. The worst that could be said of the last lemming over the cliff is that he was so proud of thinking just like everybody else. To know anything different from what everybody else believes, you have to seek information that they don’t have. Successful people know things others don’t know, do things others don’t do, believe things that others don’t believe, question everything at least once, and for sure don’t accept anything that everybody knows at face value.

Now that you've gotten that out of your system and are possibly sober and not whining.  Take it to literally any one of the half dozen threads in Off-Topic because there's a lot to choose from.  This is one of the only places we have to get away from this kind of discourse and it would be really nice to keep it that way.

7 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Well, I mean you're not wrong.  But I'd rather not see this populating the prospects chat myself so I agree with you completely.

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I didn't realize how many Belarusians speak Russian, but today I learned something. Seems like a lot still speak Belarusian too.

During the days of the Russian empire ( USSR ) all education was mandated to be educated in Russian, which I suspect has had long and lasting consequences and has split the many liberated the satelite countries with a huge problem.That's why Christina Freeland speaks fluent Russiian as does ex German Chancelor Merkle, it effected every one and one of the prime reasons for the Ukrainian war

On 4/15/2022 at 6:49 AM, Boudrias said:

Media has to be held accountable. Not sure how that is done if government controls the flow of money to some but not others. Unfortunately what some pass off as news is often opinion or even worse. Rebel does a lot of advocacy and are branded for that. Generally leftist opinion gets a bye and are not held to the same standard. What is journalism these days? I think most people are simply tuning out.  

Is there a media organization in Canada that does offer more than mere advocacy? Trudeau gave the main stream Canadian media 600 million of taxpayer money to secure what line the msm takes. Rebel doesn’t take any money from Trudeau to buy their point of view. People can label you with any label they want, especially when it is politically motivated, that label will rarely be synchronous with things that are true.