The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Tucker Poolman

On 12/2/2021 at 9:37 AM, Dazzle said:

Stecher can't even a crack a bad Red Wings team, FYI.

I know it's hard to keep track of reality when you have opinions that you don't care to reflect on.

On 12/2/2021 at 10:04 AM, 4petesake said:

Tucker Poolman, 21 games tied with Hughes on D for top +/- at +4. He is second on D in blocked shots it’s 36, Myers leads with 48. 1G+2A

Troy Stetcher, 6 games +1, 7 blocked shots, 1 assist.

Stecher has been hurt. He has been a regular with Detroit. His ice time is down a bit this year because 2 of Detroit's top young players, Seider and Hronek, are also RD.

I'd take Stecher over Poolman at equal dollars. At 2 years x $1.7M vs 4 years x $2.5M, it's a no-brainer.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, D-Money said:

Stecher has been hurt. He has been a regular with Detroit. His ice time is down a bit this year because 2 of Detroit's top young players, Seider and Hronek, are also RD.

I'd take Stecher over Poolman at equal dollars. At 2 years x $1.7M vs 4 years x $2.5M, it's a no-brainer.

Stetcher was hugely underrated here. Every year he was penciled into a bottom pairing role, and yet he always seemed to finish the season playing top 4 minutes with solid underlying stats. With all of the talk of the void Tanev and Toffoli left, the void Stetcher left has flown under the radar, but it's a pretty significant void imo.

If he were 6 inches taller and 40 lbs heavier he would be a perfect fit for this team.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Upvote 2

Scratch Poolman and call up J Bone from the farm. 

Could be a great partnership with a young rookie with the cagey stay at home vet.

He fits Boudreau and his offensive system. His skating is very good he can activate and join the rush.

Long term Pool and is a #6 dman/depth guy who Benning gave too much term for just cuz he was a right hand shot.

He doesn't belong in an NHL top 4.

12 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Scratch Poolman and call up J Bone from the farm. 

Could be a great partnership with a young rookie with the cagey stay at home vet.

He fits Boudreau and his offensive system. His skating is very good he can activate and join the rush.

Long term Pool and is a #6 dman/depth guy who Benning gave too much term for just cuz he was a right hand shot.

He doesn't belong in an NHL top 4.

Rathbone has settled down in Abby and is producing a shade under 1 ppg. They should leave him there for at least 20-25 games to work on his game. Poolman has had some sketchy games but I would like him to work with the new coaches before writing him off. He does have some size and I thought he would be more physical. On a bottom pairing he might be. Hamonic playing allows the d-side more

flexibility especially since Schenn has done well since coming back in.

Just imagine if Boudreau can get more physicality out of Meyers. IMHO Meyers has to be more physical to be effective. 

Edited by Boudrias
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Rathbone has settled down in Abby and is producing a shade under 1 ppg. They should leave him there for at least 20-25 games to work on his game. Poolman has had some sketchy games but I would like him to work with the new coaches before writing him off. He does have some size and I thought he would be more physical. On a bottom pairing he might be. Hamonic playing allows the d-side more

flexibility especially since Schenn has done well since coming back in.

Just imagine if Boudreau can get more physicality out of Meyers. IMHO Meyers has to be more physical to be effective. 

I would love to see Lockwood on a line with Tyler Motte as well at some point this season.

His speed would be a huge asset on the agressive forecheck Boudreau is trying to implement in.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Boudrias said:

IMHO Meyers has to be more physical to be effective. 

And this isn’t even the only one. A big part of why Myers has settled in more and is having his best season for us with all the ice time he’s logging and little things he’s doing; is because he’s used his massive frame a lot more. A big knock on him for years was being a giant that did next to nothing physically. He’s certainly changed that and I don’t even mind when he takes penalties for getting too aggressive. It’s what we need out of him.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, ZH96 said:

And this isn’t even the only one. A big part of why Myers has settled in more and is having his best season for us with all the ice time he’s logging and little things he’s doing; is because he’s used his massive frame a lot more. A big knock on him for years was being a giant that did next to nothing physically. He’s certainly changed that and I don’t even mind when he takes penalties for getting too aggressive. It’s what we need out of him.

Myers, is a solid player under a veteran coach or a coach that understands, his strengths & weaknesses.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

old video but still hilarious 

This was my exact reaction… except less laughing because it was the team I cheer for involved.

I still don’t see why Poolman got himself a 4 year deal with almost no resume and old enough he didn’t likely have much upside.

• Cheers 2

15 hours ago, Provost said:

This was my exact reaction… except less laughing because it was the team I cheer for involved.

I still don’t see why Poolman got himself a 4 year deal with almost no resume and old enough he didn’t likely have much upside.

Poolman questionable signing yes. But soon as they kept saying they have never heard of him…I was like bye bye not that great watching guys who don’t know what’s going on in the nhl …

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

Poolman questionable signing yes. But soon as they kept saying they have never heard of him…I was like bye bye not that great watching guys who don’t know what’s going on in the nhl …

Well they are clearly hamming it up…

In his career by age 28 the guy had accrued a little more than a season’s worth of games.  Not knowing every fringe 3rd pairing guy in the league wouldn’t exactly be a sin.

• Cheers 1

On 1/29/2022 at 8:48 AM, EliasBoeser said:

His next closest offer was likely 2.5m over 2 seasons.. this will go down as one of the most baffling signings.. even if he turns it around and becomes a top 4, he didn’t earn this contract when it was signed..

That's some nice conjecture there!

FYI, $2.5m is bottom pair money these days.

• Upvote 1

On 1/29/2022 at 8:48 AM, EliasBoeser said:

His next closest offer was likely 2.5m over 2 seasons.. this will go down as one of the most baffling signings.. even if he turns it around and becomes a top 4, he didn’t earn this contract when it was signed..

Saying "likely" does not mean we should assume. Simply put, you don't even know if this is true and all you're doing is making stuff up at this point.

If there's one thing I see a lot of on this board it's people who don't know the difference between fact and opinion. It's fine if your opinion is you don't like Poolman, but if you start throwing in bs along with that opinion like you are here, all you're really doing is creating false rumours about things you don't like. Is that really who you want to be?

And, for the record, I don't think the Poolman contract's the greatest, but I'm not about to assume there were other similar offers out there, nor am I going to assume there weren't. So I don't mind your opinion here, but I do think spreading false rumours is for the weak-minded.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 3

24 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Saying "likely" does not mean we should assume. Simply put, you don't even know if this is true and all you're doing is making stuff up at this point.

If there's one thing I see a lot of on this board it's people who don't know the difference between fact and opinion. It's fine if your opinion is you don't like Poolman, but if you start throwing in bs along with that opinion like you are here, all you're really doing is creating false rumours about things you don't like. Is that really who you want to be?

And, for the record, I don't think the Poolman contract's the greatest, but I'm not about to assume there were other similar offers out there, nor am I going to assume there weren't. So I don't mind your opinion here, but I do think spreading false rumours is for the weak-minded.

What I’m trying to say is his resume didn’t equate to a 4 year contract, or a 2.5m annual term, and certainly not both.  My assumption on next closest offer was more sarcasm than anything, my apologies.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

2.5mil is bottom pairing money?? most of the top 10 teams in the league the bottom 2 hell some even bottom 3 doesn't even make 2.5mil combined

Veteran players take discounts to play on a contender. Or those teams cycle through prospects on cheap ELC's etc. Most of those teams also tend to overload cap on their top 4 and their bottom pair barely play 10 minutes.

But if you're signing newly UFA aged players, top 4 D start at about $3.5-$4m (through about $6m for second pair, $6m+ for top pair).

So yes, unless you're overloading your top 4 and playing scrubs, contender discounted vets, kids etc. Actual, prime aged, bottom pair UFA's cost ~$1.5-$3m +/-.

If you want to argue the merits of signing one last year, have at'er. But that's what they make.

Edited by aGENT