The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Devils - Subban

A trade option once we have signed our RFA (Petey, Hughes, Dickinson and Juolevi)

To Canucks : PK Subban ( retained sallary  depending on how much cap we have left after RFA signings)

To Devils : Tyler Myers

Subban only has one year left and with the Hamilton signing they likely want to move him.

Subban may be a better fit paired with OEL than Myers.

Plus this gives more cap flexibility for next year to go after Parayko if he makes it to free agency.

1 minute ago, babalu said:

A trade option once we have signed our RFA (Petey, Hughes, Dickinson and Juolevi)

To Canucks : PK Subban ( retained sallary  depending on how much cap we have left after RFA signings)

Subban only has one year left and with the Hamilton signing they likely want to move him.

Plus this gives more cap flexibility for next year to go after Parayko if he makes it to free agency.

Why would we do this? We know what we're getting with Myers. We don't with Subban.

Why would the Devils do this? They have to pay for Subban's salary AND take on Myers?

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

I think New Jersey has some important entry level deals expiring over the next few years. Doubt they'd want to take on Myers 3 years when they only have to suffer through one more year of Subban.

Edit: So I just checked, and yeah, pretty much everyone currently signed to the Devils outside of Hischer and Hamilton are up within the next couple years. There's no way they do this.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot

6 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Why would we do this? We know what we're getting with Myers. We don't with Subban.

Why would the Devils do this? They have to pay for Subban's salary AND take on Myers?

I like Myers at times. But he seems to have difficulty when pressured in his own end. 

For the money we pay him he should be our top guy on the right side and he just doesn't seem to fit that role.

22 minutes ago, babalu said:

I like Myers at times. But he seems to have difficulty when pressured in his own end. 

For the money we pay him he should be our top guy on the right side and he just doesn't seem to fit that role.

I'm not sure I agree, but lets say thats true for sake of argument. 

What would we be getting in Subban? even less defensive ability, and redundant - and potentially disastrous - turnovers due to him needing to take chances to move the puck. 

TBH I'm a little bit surprised PK wasn't a buyout. The downgrade would be huge.

We can move Myers next summer if we really need to. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm not sure I agree, but lets say thats true for sake of argument. 

What would we be getting in Subban? even less defensive ability, and redundant - and potentially disastrous - turnovers due to him needing to take chances to move the puck. 

TBH I'm a little bit surprised PK wasn't a buyout. The downgrade would be huge.

We can move Myers next summer if we really need to. 

Wasn't aware his play had fallen off that much.

We don't use Myers in a top pairing role much. I will have to see it to believe it.

He is our highest paid RHD though. Maybe PK isn't the answer just not sure

Myers is either if we are in win now mode.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, babalu said:

This would actually be an unbelievable deal for Vancouver since Subban would only be on the books for one season.   

Unfortunately, I can't see the Devil's agreeing to this due to the term on Myers.  

But yes, I would absolutely make this deal. 

Walk from Subban at the end of the season and then go extremely hard after Parayko, Manson, or Murphy in the off-season.

Edited by Patel Bure

7 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Are you sure about that?  If so, would we need a sweetener or would it be a straight up hockey deal?

I think its like when people were saying we'd have to add to move Schmidt. There would be a market for a big RHD like him. 

But I think we need him, he was one of our better playoff performers. 

2 hours ago, babalu said:

Subban is even worse in his own end and does nothing offensively anymore other than skate around looking weird

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think its like when people were saying we'd have to add to move Schmidt. There would be a market for a big RHD like him. 

But I think we need him, he was one of our better playoff performers. 

Bubble Myers would be awesome!   If Myers can go back to playing like that and just pick his spots in terms of when to be a nasty SOB like Pronger, then I’m all for him being here.  

From a coaching standpoint, I’d even tell Myers to let the other three guys on the left side take care of the offense while you play a more defensive and physical style of game.  If Myers could re-invent himself a little here I think that would go a long ways.

Edited by Patel Bure

3 hours ago, babalu said:

Makes us worse, not better.

Myers is a legitimate, top 4 D, I have no idea why people are thinking we should do moves that make us weaker as a team.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1