The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should we look to add a veteran C for our bottom 6 depth?

I am a little concerned with our bottom 6 center depth. If Dickinson or Sutter are injured (a matter of when for Sutter...) it would be great to have a veteran center on a 1 year $1m type contract to have on our 4th line or as 13th forward.

We have Motte, MacEwen, Dowling, Petan as options, but Motte/MacEwen aren't very strong on faceoffs, and Dowling/Petan are very small build for 4C in the NHL.

Someone like E Staal, Zajac, Bozak, Richardson, who are all still available as UFAs. Could we sign one for 1m/1 year?

E.g. Bottom 6 + 13th forward could be:

Pearson Dickinson Podkolzin

Motte Staal Sutter

(Highmore) 

OR

Motte Sutter Highmore

(Richardson)

• Cheers 2

No. The roster is crowded enough as it is. Short term injuries can be overcome, should Sutter/Dickinson be out for a significant amount of time during the season, JB can still react. It shouldn't break the bank to obtain a solid 4th-line center mid-season. First lets see how it all pans out with all the young and new guys. Maybe someone grabs a C-spot (Highmore, Motte, Jasek...).

• Cheers 1

Honestly, I wouldn't mind. I'm pretty nervous that Dickinson centering the third line is going to limit our ability to roll 3 lines effectively. Not that I don't think he's a good player, but even going back to his days in junior he has never produced much in terms of points. I'm worried Podkolzin and one of Pearson/Hoglander may be offensively stifled with Dickinson in the middle.

But the roster is crowded as is, and if we need to we can use Miller as a 3C.

I dunno.

I think It’s quite possible JB gets another guy. If I were to sense one area it would be the Center position. Dickinson and Sutter can both play wing and if one goes down with injury it leaves us with only Dowling to play center which is alright. Miller can also shift to center obviously.

But again more options the better, could definitely happen

28 minutes ago, joe-max said:

No. The roster is crowded enough as it is. Short term injuries can be overcome, should Sutter/Dickinson be out for a significant amount of time during the season, JB can still react. It shouldn't break the bank to obtain a solid 4th-line center mid-season. First lets see how it all pans out with all the young and new guys. Maybe someone grabs a C-spot (Highmore, Motte, Jasek...).

My thinking is that those veteran C's that are currently available will not be available very soon. Some team will snap them up at a low cost. It will be too late if someone gets seriously injured during the season. We would have to trade for a C, costing an asset, instead of signing one while they are freely available.

As mentioned, most of the new FA signings like Dowling and Petan are to fill out our AHL roster, not our NHL roster. And they are not bottom 6 guys.

Highmore (took 5 faceoffs last season) and Motte (FO% of 36%) are wingers. Jasek is playing in Finland this season.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hoping for Galchenyuk (Podz new buddy)

Pettersson - Miller - Boeser

Hoglander - Horvat - Garland

Pearson - Galchenyuk - Podkolzin

Motte - Dickinson - Sutter

Highmore

If Galchenyuk could be had for league min and was committed to being a team player, my be worth a shot.  I don't know if he has the right attitude we're looking for though.

I looked around and the only Russians available are Galchenyuk and Gusev.  Grigorenko and Nesterov are in the KHL.

If JB thinks Podz needs a buddy, these are his only options.  Although I think Podz is a very different person than Tryamkin.   He is a leader and has an aggression and ambition that won't let anything stand in his way.

Edited by Dixon Ward

7 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

I am a little concerned with our bottom 6 center depth. If Dickinson or Sutter are injured (a matter of when for Sutter...) it would be great to have a veteran center on a 1 year $1m type contract to have on our 4th line or as 13th forward.

We have Motte, MacEwen, Dowling, Petan as options, but Motte/MacEwen aren't very strong on faceoffs, and Dowling/Petan are very small build for 4C in the NHL.

Someone like E Staal, Zajac, Bozak, Richardson, who are all still available as UFAs. Could we sign one for 1m/1 year?

Motte Staal Sutter

(Highmore) 

OR

Motte Sutter Highmore

(Richardson)

I

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Miller plays centre.  If Dickinson or Sutter go down, then Green will use Miller as a centre, and the club will call up a guy from Abbotsford.  

Pretty much this:   If Dickinson and Sutter are out of the line-up, then?Nucks will probably try and do something where each of Pettersson, Horvat, and Miller have a good winger to play with.

Motte-Miller-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Garland

Hoglander-Pettersson-Podkolzin

[Farm]-Highmore-MacEwen

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'm hoping Gadjovich can be that guy.  I'd want Green to give give him every chance to succeed.

hard to know if he's ready. But thats why I'm happy we have 7 preseason games this year, there's going to be a lot of competition for the bottom 6, which should be really fun to watch. 

• Upvote 1

I would like big Nick Ritchie 6'3, 230 lbs, 25, had a ver good season last year...Would be great to add this guy to Vancouver adds toughness to team..His new deal will be like  2 yrs X 2.8 million?? Hard to find a player like this..Boston let hime go.....

8 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Motte Staal Sutter

(Highmore) 

OR

Motte Sutter Highmore

(Richardson)

No need - have Sutter teach Motte and Highmore how to do face offs. If Dickinson gets injured, Sutter moves up to 3c. If Sutter gets injured, move in highmore/motte. 

JB can fill in important gaps at the trade deadline - if sutter is injured again, put him on ltir and trade for a 4c at that time. 

11 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

My thinking is that those veteran C's that are currently available will not be available very soon. Some team will snap them up at a low cost. It will be too late if someone gets seriously injured during the season. We would have to trade for a C, costing an asset, instead of signing one while they are freely available.

As mentioned, most of the new FA signings like Dowling and Petan are to fill out our AHL roster, not our NHL roster. And they are not bottom 6 guys.

Highmore (took 5 faceoffs last season) and Motte (FO% of 36%) are wingers. Jasek is playing in Finland this season.

I see your point, but still think at one point you would have to give the young guys some rope. A veteran would occupy another roster spot, which would force you to get someone else through waivers. Would he sit in the press box until someone gets injured? Not sure many of the "good" 4th liners would be interested in that role.

I'm pretty sure Jasek would have an out clause should he get a spot on the team.

5 hours ago, wildcam said:

I would like big Nick Ritchie 6'3, 230 lbs, 25, had a ver good season last year...Would be great to add this guy to Vancouver adds toughness to team..His new deal will be like  2 yrs X 2.8 million?? Hard to find a player like this..Boston let hime go.....

Love the idea of Ritchie, but we don't have the cap space for $2.8m now. Who are we letting go? Dickinson?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, joe-max said:

I see your point, but still think at one point you would have to give the young guys some rope. A veteran would occupy another roster spot, which would force you to get someone else through waivers. Would he sit in the press box until someone gets injured? Not sure many of the "good" 4th liners would be interested in that role.

I'm pretty sure Jasek would have an out clause should he get a spot on the team.

If we could get say Zajac, I would put him as 4C and move Sutter to 4RW or 13th forward. Zajac is a similar, perhaps slightly better, player than Sutter at this stage. They had similar deployment but Zajac has better numbers playing against tougher opposition last season:

ZAJAC:

46 games, Averaging 12.7 mins, 59% dZ starts

Played against similar quality competition (QoC rel Corsi for) of +0.044

20 pts, 2.3 goals for/60, 2.1 goals against/60

FO wins 51.9%

SUTTER:

43 games, Averaging 15.1 mins, 66% dZ starts

Played against lower quality competition (QoC rel Corsi for) of -0.204

12 pts, 1.9 goals for/60, 3.0 goals against/60

FO wins 55.5%