The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Escalating market price for defencemen (Quinn Hughes)

Rate this topic

grandmaster

• grandmaster changed the title to [Discussion] Escalating market price for defencemen (Quinn Hughes)
3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

If they have to trade Myers, Boeser and Miller, so be it. They need to keep Petey and Quinn.

At least CHI won three cups before they lost all their guys because Toews and Kane got paid.    If we pay these two properly, we also should have a window before they get their Kane/Toews deals.   Those guys won three cups and still were paid well.   After that they got paid so much their team never had a chance at another one when they really could have if they weren't so - well greedy isn't the right word because they weren't as RFAs - let's just say expensive.   QHs and EP have won nothing, haven't played a full season yet either of them.  I'd be fine with a 8 year deal with EP... 7.5-8.   QHs bridge makes more sense unless it's something like 6 x 8. 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hughes is a phenom.  We are keeping him.  Remember he’s the Guy who holds the record for most points by a rookie d in the playoffs.  He also had more points as a rookie d than Makar.  Plus he’s more than a full year younger.  We’ve never had a D man  this good.  He’s going to be leading the Cup parade!  

well considering the fan base here is ready to trade away EP if he gets too high of an offer sheet and wanting to dump hughes to devil and rebuild again for the next decade who knows what management might do ahah

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Seems that with the recent defencemen signings, the market has exploded to ridiculous proportions (Seth Jones, Werenski, etc…)

I’m worried about Hughes chasing after every dollar he can get. There is something about him that makes me feel that he would be like this (more so than Petey). 

If this is the case, would any of you be open to trading him? I think it would be worth a consideration. He isn’t exactly a top 10 defenceman in the league and I feel he is going to want to be paid as one (he has great offensive skills but his defence needs work).

If I were to trade Hughes, I would demand a genuine top 4D and a pick/good defenceman prospect. 

I don’t feel easy signing Hughes to 8 or 9M per for the next 6-8 years.

Whole bunch of ado about nothing^^^^^^.

JP Barry is on record to saying that a deal will get done.  He commented that he and his two Canucks clients (Hughes and Pettersson) are well aware of the Canucks cap situation (or more aptly put "issues").  Short term deals for both are what JP Barry is saying. 

You can always count on one constant with a certain cluster of Canucks fans - the angst they feel over RFA contracts. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

In all my years as a fan of this team, I have NEVER seen a player on our back end as dynamic as this kid.

Pay him. 

No one is questioning him being a great player. You also can’t be blind to his defensive deficiencies and that fact that he has only played 2 seasons plus 10 games.

“Pay him” what? That is the question. You can’t write a blank cheque.

8/9M per is a lot of Cap space. That appears to be the low end of these recent signings. I hope that you agree that anything over is way too much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1