The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Olli Juolevi

Just now, Nucksfollower1983 said:

Hughes for hischier and a first. If NJD want all 3 brothers, make them pay for it.

Oh We’d have to take Smith back as well. Price should be extremely high. Now guys it’s not happening. Shut her down. OJ thread 

19 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Per Drance's tweet, I think it was a calculated decision to place himself in a more favorable position to make the team, if only based on cap considerations.  It also means that if Juolevi is waived and ends up in the AHL, he will be paid $750K anyway.

I have posted before that I think that based purely on waiver exemption status, I think Rathbone is really going to have blow everyone's socks off to make the opening night roster.  Agreeing to the league minimum while also requiring waivers gives Juolevi a leg up to at least make the opening night roster.  Training camp is going to be intriguing.

His cap hit also won't count if it gets sent down to the AHL, provided he doesn't get claimed (Juolevi is waiver eligible). This is really good for the Canucks, if Juolevi really doesn't make it. That would mean Rathbone did.

WHAT DOESN'T COUNT TOWARDS THE CAP?

Any player on a two-way contract who is in the minor leagues.

• Any player on a one-way contract in the minor leagues, as long as their average annual value is $1.075 million or less. 

• Any prospects under contract who are still playing in juniors or Europe. 

• Any players who are suspended for off-ice events, like failing a drug test or domestic violence. 

• The average annual value of a contract of a player who signed a multi-year deal before age 35 and then retired. 

Source: https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2020/10/05/nhl-salary-cap-penguins-space-tlh

Edited by Dazzle
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

His cap hit also won't count if it gets sent down to the AHL, provided he doesn't get claimed (Juolevi is waiver eligible)

• Any player on a one-way contract in the minor leagues, as long as their average annual value is $1.075 million or less. 

• Any players who are suspended for off-ice events, like failing a drug test or domestic violence. 

• The average annual value of a contract of a player who signed a multi-year deal before age 35 and then retired. 

Source: https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2020/10/05/nhl-salary-cap-penguins-space-tlh

His cap hit is irrelevant. It’s basically league minimum. If he’s not on the team someone else is 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

His cap hit also won't count if it gets sent down to the AHL, provided he doesn't get claimed (Juolevi is waiver eligible). This is really good for the Canucks, if Juolevi really doesn't make it. That would mean Rathbone did.

Considering Logan Stanley only received $0.9M and, IMHO, had a better season than Juolevi, I didn't think Juolevi had a case for anything above $1M.

Just for your interest, I believe the maximum AAV that can be fully buried now is $1.125M, not $1.075M.  Sutter's $1.125M is therefore also perfectly suited to being completely buried in Abbotsford (if it comes to that). 

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Given how he played in his own zone last year, I'm not convinced some time in the AHL would have harmed him.

playing against worse competition doesn't make good players better. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Given how he played in his own zone last year, I'm not convinced some time in the AHL would have harmed him.

Not sure plying in a league that Brogan Raferty and Bobby Sanguinetti were dominant offensive d-men in would grow Hughes’ game much. 

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Why’s it’s always about Hughes regarding last year. I think our whole team sucked defensively outside a little bit of Myers and a little bit of Hamonic 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Why’s it’s always about Hughes regarding last year. I think our whole team sucked defensively outside a little bit of Myers and a little bit of Hamonic 

But we've got Shaw this year.  Course, apparently Baumer will still be running the show on the blueline.:(

12 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

So Hughes isnt responsible for sucking defensively because everyone else sucked too?

His agent loves that argument in the contract talks btw.

Hughes at this point is a one way player. He needs to improve alot defensively. A year in the AHL would not have hurt him at all on the defensive side.