The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coyotes lose vote for new arena - future unclear

Rate this topic

mll

On 10/26/2022 at 11:32 AM, mll said:

The Coyotes have a 4 game homestand starting this week - Winnipeg, NYR, Florida and then Dallas.  All 4 teams are fully aware of the set up per Coyotes' president and the NHL/NHLPA have signed off - his statement at 1:45.

That looks a lot more like a refugee processing site than an NHL dressing room.

10 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

Or move them to Quebec, push a team from the west over east to balance it up then do a round  of expansions in the west. 

I think this is one of the major problems, I don't think they want to expand past 32 and absolutely no team currently in the east will move to the West.  None of them, it would be fought massively.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Maginator said:

Honestly I hope hockey can succeed there. It's a huge market, but if the Yotes continue to have an empty barn in the future this will be a colossal failure.

I really can't see anyone going to these games if the team sucks. 

Can confirm; measly crowd at the SJ game and that is a much better location, or was.

Heck, we probably had better attendance during a blizzard.

16 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Don't do it Tempe. 

That's how Glendale got suckered in. 

$180 Million of the cost of the arena in Glendale.

$15 million in "management fees" from the city each year. 

So overall the city lost $450 million dollars (give or take). 

The problem there was that Glendale was, geographically and economically, the absolute worst area to build an arena in the Phoenix area. Tempe is much more centrally located, closer to the airport, closer to the money in Scottsdale and right beside a bunch of partying college kids with more disposable income.

Kind of like building an arena on the western outskirts of Kanata instead of downtown Ottawa.

The only part that bugs me about this is when Winnipeg and Quebec had their arena issues the moving trucks couldn’t come fast enough. Now this franchise that sells out a game once a decade gets a 30 year no move clause.

Slap in the face to the fans that actually prop up this sport. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• 5 months later...