The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Offer Sheet] Hurricanes offer sheet Jesperi Kotkaniemi

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Be funnier if he turned a corner and lived up to the draft position and Montreal lost him because they offer sheeted a guy that was always going to be matched in Aho.

Eh, I disagree, and it's not even because I care for the Habs but because I don't care for Carolina 

22 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

Who are the Habs centre's? Are they still insisting that Drouin is a centre? Losing Danault, Perry and Kotkaniemi doesn't instill much confidence. Divorak is good but can is he a game changer?

Suzuki, Evans and Pacquette I believe.  Now add Dvorak.  They need more centre depth, but their wingers aren't too shabby.

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Montreal is finished.  This was the icing on the cake.  Bergevin is done.  They will be in rebuilding mode for the next 5 years.

Funny, I thought MB/Montreal was “done” a long time ago, when he/they traded Subban for Weber. 

9 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

I think this is a killer deal for Carolina.  Uknowho still has massive upside, I'd be pissed if I was a Habs fan right now - livid even.

Kotkaniemi at $6,1m is not a killer deal. It’s a massive overpay.  I hope it bites them in the ass 

9 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

I think this is a killer deal for Carolina.  Uknowho still has massive upside, I'd be pissed if I was a Habs fan right now - livid even.

11 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Kotkaniemi at $6,1m is not a killer deal. It’s a massive overpay.  I hope it bites them in the ass 

Seems more like $2.1m for the player value, $4m for his RFA rights. Word was the bunch of jerks were trying to trade for KK, but Bergevin wasn't having any of it, so they took another route. The $20 signing bonus was the kick to the Bergeballs. That's how I view this offer sheet.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, DS4quality said:

I forgot about Jake Evans,  Montréal is either going to surprise again next season,  or be really bad. I can't say they'll be bad because somehow they're always better than expected. But in their division they're going to need big years from a few players

Habs won’t be really bad.  They will finish 11-14 from the bottom, miss the playoffs, and give Arizona a nice and high first round pick for a draft that is in Montreal.  The fans at the draft will be totally impressed when Arizona picks 12OA (the Habs pick given up for Dvorak) and the Habs picks 30th: the Carolina pick.  Too funny!  

33 minutes ago, Wayne Jetski said:

Would be amazing if MTL makes the playoffs tbh 

They will be in the mix for sure. They still have lots of good pieces. Not having Weber will certainly hurt but Savard plays a similar style of game, minus Shea's bomb from the point. They are lucky to be in the same div as Buffalo and Det. Make up points for sure. I think TOR and MTL and OTT will be battling for a wild card spot. BOS, TB and FL should take the top 3 spots.

9 hours ago, shiznak said:

Funny, I thought MB/Montreal was “done” a long time ago, when he/they traded Subban for Weber. 

They were done. They made the playoffs following that trade, but got their asses kicked by the Rangers. They then miss the playoffs the next two years, would have missed the playoffs if it wasn't for the bubble, and by sheer luck made it to the finals. Anyone who thinks they are a contender is delusional.

Oh, and before you think you are being clever by saying "hurr durr, but the Canucks aren't any better!" Yeah, and? Is that supposed to change my mind on the scabs?

Waddell says Kotkaniemi offer sheet was 'not about revenge' for Aho offer sheet

Speaking to the media for the first time since acquiring Jesperi Kotkaniemi by way of an offer sheet, Hurricanes GM Don Waddell says the offer sheet was more about the type of player the team is acquiring in Kotkaniemi rather than revenge for the Canadiens offer sheet to Sebastian Aho. Kotkaniemi says he only has good things to say about Montreal as he bids farewell to the Canadiens

So it was a A LOVE story after all! Not REVENGE! LOL!

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, wildwood12 said:

Waddell says Kotkaniemi offer sheet was 'not about revenge' for Aho offer sheet

Speaking to the media for the first time since acquiring Jesperi Kotkaniemi by way of an offer sheet, Hurricanes GM Don Waddell says the offer sheet was more about the type of player the team is acquiring in Kotkaniemi rather than revenge for the Canadiens offer sheet to Sebastian Aho. Kotkaniemi says he only has good things to say about Montreal as he bids farewell to the Canadiens

So it was a A LOVE story after all! Not REVENGE! LOL!

Such a load of crap. It was petty as hell and the social media account played that aspect up. If you’re going to be petty you may as well own it.  I’m sure they like Kotkaniemi as a player. But the way this played out was 100% motivated by revenge 

Edited by qwijibo

4 hours ago, Nucksownyou said:

They were done. They made the playoffs following that trade, but got their asses kicked by the Rangers. They then miss the playoffs the next two years, would have missed the playoffs if it wasn't for the bubble, and by sheer luck made it to the finals. Anyone who thinks they are a contender is delusional.

Oh, and before you think you are being clever by saying "hurr durr, but the Canucks aren't any better!" Yeah, and? Is that supposed to change my mind on the scabs?

They made the playoffs 3 out of the 5 years, since making that trade. The first year they missed the playoffs, Weber was out practically the entire year. Only playing 26 games, along with Price missing a few stretch of games. The following year, they barely missed the playoffs, and was 14 games above .500 (96 points). 

• Upvote 2