The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Controversial names and logos in North American major leagues

Rubik

Controversial logos and team names  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The title speaks for itself, what do you think which of these teams will find themselves rebranding in the near future to avoid controversy? Do you think any of these should be changed?

With the recent news of the Cleveland Indians changing their names to the Cleveland Guardians, and the still pending Washington Football Team situation, I was just wondering if the Blackhawks could also give in the next few years...

If you have another candidate in mind, post it. They don't have to be indigenous related, just anything that you think might come under fire next.

Edited by Rubik

• Rubik changed the title to Controversial names and logos in North American major leagues

Gotta change Winnipeg Blue Bombers....sounds like terrorists to me.

Edmonton Oilers - sounds like they will not acknowledge climate change. Bad influence on young people.

Arizona Coyotes. Florida Panthers, San Jose Sharks, Pittsburgh Penguins, B.C. Lions, Hamilton Tiger Cats, Detroit Lions, Detroit Tigers, Carolina Panthers,  or any other team with an animal in their name.......can't be hating on animals, especially endangered species.

Dallas Cowboys - can't have Cowboys with no Indians.

And the two worst names of all that should be changed immediately - Ottawa Senators and Los Angeles Kings. Politicians and U.S President wannabes have no place in sport!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For #1, I said None, because I'm not sure any of those teams will be forced to change the name and logo - it'll be a conscious decision to do the right thing. 

The Chiefs should change the name and logo. The word "Chief" has been used in a derogatory way for decades. Like in One Who Flew Over the Coocoo's Nest, for example. That's just disrespectful. 

CHI can just put a helicopter on the front of their jerseys :ph34r:

Not offended by the Braves name at all, maybe change the logo though. 

11 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Gotta change Winnipeg Blue Bombers....sounds like terrorists to me.

Edmonton Oilers - sounds like they will not acknowledge climate change. Bad influence on young people.

Arizona Coyotes. Florida Panthers, San Jose Sharks, Pittsburgh Penguins, B.C. Lions, Hamilton Tiger Cats, Detroit Lions, Detroit Tigers, Carolina Panthers,  or any other team with an animal in their name.......can't be hating on animals, especially endangered species.

Dallas Cowboys - can't have Cowboys with no Indians.

And the two worst names of all that should be changed immediately - Ottawa Senators and Los Angeles Kings. Politicians and U.S President wannabes have no place in sport!

Edmonton shoulda gone for the Endangered Species

think of the rivalries

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Dekey Pete said:

Change them all to (insert city name) (insert sport), no one will be offended.  Oh wait, most of our cities are named after European settlers... so much for that.

I live in Victoria

I am not a monachist

can't say I was ever on board with the Royals

but I still go to their games

23 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

For #1, I said None, because I'm not sure any of those teams will be forced to change the name and logo - it'll be a conscious decision to do the right thing. 

The Chiefs should change the name and logo. The word "Chief" has been used in a derogatory way for decades. Like in One Who Flew Over the Coocoo's Nest, for example. That's just disrespectful. 

CHI can just put a helicopter on the front of their jerseys :ph34r:

Not offended by the Braves name at all, maybe change the logo though. 

I feel the same reguarding #1

I said I was offended by the Skins and Indians but have to say it was a mild case

Atlanta could drop the 's' and become the Brave, not that I like military names better

there is too much patriotism for my taste

I like animal names and storms

having lived there through 3 winters, I would have supported the Edmonton Ice

Edited by lmm

As someone who is Indigenous, I do feel that there needs to be some change to it. I get the Blackhawks have an iconic brand but something's got to give. The Winterhawks and University of North Dakota had similar logos to the Blackhawks and changed it. 

As for the Chiefs and Braves, there are totally other names they can use. I totally thought that Cleveland was going to call themselves the Spiders which would have been awesome.

Then again, I find it kinda revolting what some had said in this thread. Give your head a shake.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

to add, the Winnipeg Jets are a major cause of global warming as well as Covid transmission

all "jets" should be grounded

hey this is fun, gonna get rid of everybody soon

maybe the Leafs will be the last team standing

maybe we should start a new thread

"Rename all teams better"

except the Leafs

who can have anything against a team who'se name doesn't even really exsist, is a spelling and gramatical nightmare and the team sux

lets change every name but the Leafs

Edited by lmm

13 minutes ago, Rubik said:

now i wanna see the hurricanes renamed to Carolina Crackers

Cracker is one of my favourite bands. 

We need to amp this up.

Is Nashville Nazi's OK?

Edited by JM_
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Cracker is one of my favourite bands. 

We need to amp this up.

Is Nashville Nazi's OK?

having recently watched "Country Music" by Ken Burns, I think a better name would be the Nashville Insurance salesmenpeople. fixed for PCness