The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van - SJ Kane comes home

8 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

Worst case scenario for the Canucks Kane is suspended and off the books and no cap hit but still get Eklund who is a badly needed future top 6 winger for Petey or Horvat while Miller will be gone without a doubt in 2 years as they can’t fit Horvat and Miller because of current cap mismanagement and with this trade it opens enough cap space to sign Pettersson and Hughes to 8 year $80Million and $56Million deals and enough to sign Boeser to a 5 year $8Million year deal all because of that one deal. 

Would like to see your total math on how we can't afford Miller. Benning keeps spreadsheets with 5 year salary projections, let's see your math 

Not specifically disagreeing with you, just want to see what you're basing it on.

• Cheers 1

Kane has negative value at this point. Locker room cancer if there ever was one.

Eklund is a nice piece, but doesn't address our most glaring need, which is defence, particularly RHD. If we do end up trading Miller, it needs to address an area of weakness. Eklund is also pretty small. If he were brought in, that would make 3 of our top 6 players 5'10 or under (assuming Hoglander is in our top 6). 

So yeah, absolutely no way in hell.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Cheers 1

There's no WAY I'd want to take on the Evander distraction.  

This team's  had it's own "issues" outside of hockey recently and getting rid of them is important so the guys can completely focus on hockey without having to be dragged down by extracurricular stuff.  A guy with a gambling problem whose ex is slagging him has too much baggage to carry around.   The press isn't always kind to our team so I'd rather give them nothing.  Sort it out elsewhere. He seems smug and far too "scripted" in his answers...I don't believe a word of it.

https://www.tsn.ca/san-jose-sharks-evander-kane-gambling-1.1694345

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, -DLC- said:

There's no WAY I'd want to take on the Evander distraction.  

This team's  had it's own "issues" outside of hockey recently and getting rid of them is important so the guys can completely focus on hockey without having to be dragged down by extracurricular stuff.  A guy with a gambling problem whose ex is slagging him has too much baggage to carry around.   The press isn't always kind to our team so I'd rather give them nothing.  Sort it out elsewhere. He seems smug and far too "scripted" in his answers...I don't believe a word of it.

https://www.tsn.ca/san-jose-sharks-evander-kane-gambling-1.1694345

Yeah I understand not a lot of Canucks fans like him, but that will change if he would play for the Canucks and is scoring and fighting some player that hit Petey from behind. An the best part if he is guilty then he is off the books and the cap with suspension and not the Canucks problem and if not and he becomes a problem they buy him out and screw San Jose with a dead cap hit and still get Eklund who would be ready in 2 seasons to fight for a spot on the team and most importantly get the cap room to sign Petey and Hughes to 8 year deals now and Boeser next season and Horvat with the $5Million+ Of Miller’s contract off the books in two seasons. 

All I saw Canucks social media do this past season was get on Miller all season long and everyone wanted to trade him, now Canuck fans are treating him like the missing piece of the puzzle lol 

Edited by IjustNEEDaTROYgamble

37 minutes ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

Yeah I understand not a lot of Canucks fans like him, but that will change if he would play for the Canucks and is scoring and fighting some player that hit Petey from behind. An the best part if he is guilty then he is off the books and the cap with suspension and not the Canucks problem and if not and he becomes a problem they buy him out and screw San Jose with a cap hit and still get Eklund who would be ready in 2 seasons to fight for a spot on the team and most importantly get the cap room to sign Petey and Hughes to 8 year deals now and Boeser next season and Horvat with the $5Million+ Of Miller’s contract off the books in two seasons. 

All I saw Canucks social media do this past season was get on Miller all season long and everyone wanted to trade him, now Canuck fans are treating him like the missing piece of the puzzle lol 

Are you secretly one of the Sharks? Canuck fans won't tolerate him here, his teammates will be ecstatic if he gets moved or just doesn't show up for camp.

He was a problem in Atlanta

He was a problem in Winnipeg - teammates were trying to deal with him: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/evander-kane-missed-game-after-incident-with-byfuglien-reports-1.2946727

He's a problem in San Jose

See a pattern here? Why would you EVER introduce that into a young core? You'd completely destroy all the good drafting work that JB has done to assemble a young, talented nucleus to build around.

Seriously, this may be one of the worst proposals ever put up on this board, and that's saying something!

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

Why not?

Benning is bringing in guys with character, not characters who need babysitters. 

And from a hockey pov, he isn't better than Miller. We also don't know if Eklund is worth the risk of taking on a locker room cancer, and we already have small scoring wingers so we don't need Eklund. 

Its all downside from what I can see. 

• Cheers 2

15 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

San Jose would much rather give up a top end prospect then their 1st rounders in the Shane Wright and Connor Bedard drafts 

Lol when were 1st rounders ever mentioned in my comment?  I said Kane and Ferraro for OEL.  Unless you think that OEL - Burns, Vlasic - Karlsson is good enough to bring them back to the playoffs and out of the lottery??

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

Are you secretly one of the Sharks? Canuck fans won't tolerate him here, his teammates will be ecstatic if he gets moved or just doesn't show up for camp.

He was a problem in Atlanta

He was a problem in Winnipeg - teammates were trying to deal with him: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/evander-kane-missed-game-after-incident-with-byfuglien-reports-1.2946727

He's a problem in San Jose

See a pattern here? Why would you EVER introduce that into a young core? You'd completely destroy all the good drafting work that JB has done to assemble a young, talented nucleus to build around.

Seriously, this may be one of the worst proposals ever put up on this board, and that's saying something!

JB is undoing his drafting anyways with his cap mismanagement, he can't sign either Hughes and Petey to 8 year deals right now and next year is going to be more of the same but with Boeser and then in 2 years they won't have cap room to resign both Miller and Horvat.

I really do not see why Canuck fans pray to the alter of Benning when he has messed the future of this team with bad overpriced signings, like a good GM does not make it a habitat of acquiring over priced defensemen with 3-6 years left at $6Million+ cap hit that are in their 30's, but Benning bros seem to think he can do no wrong because they are drinking the koolaid and not asking what's in it. 

Now you keep saying Kane is going destroy the core when it's easy to deal with Kane, Greener would read him the riot act before the season and basically say if he brings any of his BS to the locker room he will be sent to Abbotsford and be a scratch and then bought out the next season and then San Jose gets stuck with dead cap hit with retaining 40% cap hit but Vancouver gets Eklund a top 6 winger that played in the SHL last season and put up 25 points in 60 games in his rookie year against men and win SHL rookie of the year. Miller is going for a big pay day in 2 years and Canucks can't pay him and Horvat $7,000,000+ each for 6 or 7 years as that would be the minimum to sign both and Höglander is going to need a new deal that same year so things will be tight. 

The Kane trade is more to get

1) Eklund,

2) acquire needed cap space to anchor your future of the franchise and then

3) take a calculated risk on Kane because like I said he would be at $4,200,000 cap hit and can be sent to the minors, bought out or traded to Arizona if it doesn't work out and the Sharks get screwed over with dead money on a buy out. 

Last season all you Canuck fans on here were whining and complaining about trading Miller and now he is the key to the Canuck's season lol 

11 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Lol when were 1st rounders ever mentioned in my comment?  I said Kane and Ferraro for OEL.  Unless you think that OEL - Burns, Vlasic - Karlsson is good enough to bring them back to the playoffs and out of the lottery??

Never said you did, but that is the price to take someone like Kane and San Jose is not giving up there ticket in the Shane Wright or Conor Bedard drafts, not happening and if someone thinks that then they have clearly never seen those two players play before and the franchise changing players they can be. 

17 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

But he still averages 35+ points and 20+ goals a year and 3 years matched his best season with 30 so he can still score and would be Petey’s body guard to make sure nobody looks at him wrong and score some tap ins playing in front of the net

Vancouver has a Tkachuk deterrent now so if he starts up his shenanigans in the playoffs with Pettersson because come on it’s a Darryl Sutter team you know how this going to end and badly for the Canucks with past Sedin and Naslund hits that knocked them out of the playoffs and cost them a true shot at the cup because with both of those players the was no cup chance because of how crucial they were and it will happen to Pettersson if you don’t get someone like Kane who fights and scores and I think when he is cleared of gambling and plays in front of his hometown and feels the same type of juice Greg Adams, Cliff Ronning, Dan Hamhuis, Willie Mitchell felt playing for their home town or province team and they played above their talent levels in the playoffs and they all said they ratcheted it up when they played at home because they felt the energy of playing in front of the Coliseum and then the Garage and now Rogers Arena 

One of the beautiful features of English language is called “punctuation”. It allows you to separate parts of text to better express your point of view. It also allows the readers to better understand what you are trying to say. Parts of text between two dots is called “a sentence”. Having an entire paragraph represent a single sentence… well, this is just dumb…

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

Never said you did, but that is the price to take someone like Kane and San Jose is not giving up there ticket in the Shane Wright or Conor Bedard drafts, not happening and if someone thinks that then they have clearly never seen those two players play before and the franchise changing players they can be. 

Well, in my case I'd mentioned OEL to shed his $7.2 million cap in exchange for Kane who'd be $3 million cheaper, and Ferraro who's already a big minute LHD but still on his ELC.  If OEL remains a middling D-man, taking on a mercurial talent in Kane at a discount for the price of a top pair LD seems like a steal, since it'd rid us of our (currently) priciest contract.  With Hughes and Rathbone for offense, getting a defensively capable guy like Ferraro to add to the likes of Hamonic/ Poolman/ Schenn/ Myers would help out the unit.  With that it wouldn't involve trading the Sharks' 1st.  

Edited by Phil_314