The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Gadj's was a gamble. And we lost. And honestly I don't buy this (He doesn't kill penalties) excuse either. 

He played as good as a lot of the bubble players. And unlike a lot of them at least scored in the preseason. 

I think that was a bad decision. If anything this preseason has shown Green doesn't change. 

He's on the hot seat along with JB. If the regular season is the same with lack of defensive coverage. 

Then we will see Shaw in charge sooner rather than later. 

why don't you buy it?

there isn't room on the roster for a guy who plays 7 minutes a night. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

10 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Gadj's was a gamble. And we lost. And honestly I don't buy this (He doesn't kill penalties) excuse either. 

He played as good as a lot of the bubble players. And unlike a lot of them at least scored in the preseason. 

I think that was a bad decision. If anything this preseason has shown Green doesn't change. 

He's on the hot seat along with JB. If the regular season is the same with lack of defensive coverage. 

Gads’ first two steps are too slow to defend.  On pucks he is fine, but what % of his on ice play is on pucks?  10-20% maximum, right?  What do we do with a player like that?  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Gads’ first two steps are too slow to defend.  On pucks he is fine, but what % of his on ice play is on pucks?  10-20% maximum, right?  What do we do with a player like that?  

Stick him in front of the net all game ... oy yeah definitely call 'no offsides' before the game starts though. :lol: 

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

We bought out Virtanen

A lot on unnecessary whining here on CDC

Hamonic didn’t show up to camp and is still AWOL

Petey and Hughes held out until the last week of preseason 

We dumped Lind, Gadjovich, and Juolevi in three different ways

Sutter, Motte, and Boeser are all out with injuries/illness

Green spent most of preseason giving tryouts to AHLers

And to cap it all off we went 2-5 in our games (surprise surprise)

Did I miss anything?

Hmmmm, added a couple. :lol:

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Garland-Petey-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Petan-Miller-Podkolzin

Dowling-Dickinson-New FLA guy

MacEwen

I personally would go 

Miller-Petey-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Garland 

Podkolzin-Dickinson-Hoglander

Dowling-New FLA Guy- MacEwen 

It will be real interesting to see what they set for lines on Wednesday.  I see alot of posts having Garland with Petey and Boeser, seems real soft to play against.  I prefer your second set of lines.  Then if Sutter and Motte ever come back, that could really make for a nice 4 line system.

A lot feel Gadj, Lind and Olli weren't good enough to play in the NHL. Surprising, because these were top prospects only a couple of years ago.

So, which prospects do the Canucks have now that are actually going to become NHL players?

Lockwood, Klimovich, Di Pietro and Woo?

Getting down to some slim pickings.

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Everyone ready to put this rollercoaster offseason behind us and start the season?

Just to recap this strange offseason:

We managed to trade Player Name, Beagle, and Roussel in one trade

We traded our 9th overall pick

We bought out Virtanen

Hamonic didn’t show up to camp and is still AWOL

Petey and Hughes held out until the last week of preseason 

We dumped Lind, Gadjovich, and Juolevi in three different ways

Sutter, Motte, and Boeser are all out with injuries/illness

Green spent most of preseason giving tryouts to AHLers

And to cap it all off we went 2-5 in our games (surprise surprise)

Did I miss anything?

Sounds par for the course. Lol

12 hours ago, RWJC said:

If we were to retain the current roster and IF Garland was willing to try LW (he’s a right hand shot), I’d be interested to see how these lines performed together:

Garland Pettersson Boeser 

Hoglander Miller Podkolzin  

Pearson Horvat Motte 

Petan/Sutter Dickenson Chiasson 

Personally, I wouldn’t be opposed to us trading a decent draft pick for another C/LW or RHD. Don’t think Sutter will hold up and don’t trust Petan enough in that 4th line role. Could swap with Motte but I like Motte’s hustle and grind and think that could benefit Bo and Pearson. 

Smallish forward corps but balanced out lines with energy and some grit on each.
Thoughts?

Well, for starters it's not good to have someone change position (Garland), put him on the top-line, and expect top-line production. That's asking for trouble. 

I also don't put a rookie in the top-6. That's a lot of minutes against the opponent's top-6 forwards. Too much to ask for a rook. Let them ease their way in before you can legitimately expect them to help you win. 

44 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Stick him in front of the net all game ... oy yeah definitely call 'no offsides' before the game starts though. :lol: 

There are only two aspects in Gadjovich's game Canucks would have been benefited:

1. park him in front of the net as a screen for the goalie and hope that he buries one of the rebounds

2. use him as an instigator for a fight to get the emotions going.

Right decision from Green / Benning to put him on waivers. Awful decision from Jim Benning to draft such a player with apparent skating deficiencies in the secound round.

What a waste of a valuable secound round draft picks.

The majority of the other NHL franchises are more successful than Canucks because their GM's make way better decisions than Jim Benning.

Season 2021/2022 will getting really, really ugly with this blue line.

Worst thing is that the ower has either no clue what's going on or he doesn't care at all.

This franchise has become a joke.

• Wat 5

I am thinking the Canucks load up the top 2 lines and cherry pick Ozone starts for the third line. 4th line gets heavy lifting defensive duties, Horvat covers some D zone work too. 

Miller - Pete - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Garland

Pod - Petan - Hog

Juho - Dickinson - Highmore

Then when guys start coming back and when (if) there is a full roster:

Miller - Pete - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Garland

Pod - Dickinson - Hog

Motte - Sutter - Highmore

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Second round picks are valuable and as a GM you have to do your due diligence to make  sure that prospects drafted high (1st   and 2nd round picks) become NHL regulars. Gadjovich's skating deficienies were apparent at the time Canucks drafted him.

I remember very well, that Judd Brackett told the media that they loved about Gadjovich that he plays the game hard.  Playing the game hard  seemed to be a  criteria that is

more important than skating.

Canucks can't afford to take gambles with second round draft picks.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

There are only two aspects in Gadjovich's game Canucks would have been benefited:

1. park him in front of the net as a screen for the goalie and hope that he buries one of the rebounds

Right decision from Green / Benning to put him on waivers. Awful decision from Jim Benning to draft such a player with apparent skating deficiencies in the secound round.

The majority of the other NHL franchises are more successful than Canucks because their GM's make way better decisions than Jim Benning.

Worst thing is that the ower has either no clue what's going on or he doesn't care at all.

The player was good enough to play for team Canada at the world juniors shortly after his his draft and was what picked around 50th?  The hit rate on that pick is maybe 20%. Gadj may still become an nhl player just not with the Canucks.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Don't agree with this at all. Casual fans would be wise to look at just how hard it is to make the NHL, evaluate future talent, and run an NHL team. There are 32 teams and only one team wins the cup. It's incredibly difficult to be successful across the board of all aspects NHL. Some people just need to grow up and stop hating others to justify their own short comings. Sorry, this is a dumb whiny, baseless, complainy post.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Second round picks are valuable and as a GM you have to do your due diligence to make  sure that prospects drafted high (1st   and 2nd round picks) become NHL regulars. Gadjovich's skating deficienies were apparent at the time Canucks drafted him.

I remember very well, that Judd Brackett told the media that they loved about Gadjovich that he plays the game hard.  Playing the game hard  seemed to be a  criteria that is

more important than skating.

Canucks can't afford to take gambles with second round draft picks.

The success rate of second round picks is something like 10-15%- wouldn't it be fair to say that all second round picks are gambles? Guys that aren't risks tend to go very high in the draft.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Don't agree with this at all. Casual fans would be wise to look at just how hard it is to make the NHL, evaluate future talent, and run an NHL team. There are 32 teams and only one team wins the cup. It's incredibly difficult to be successful across the board of all aspects NHL. Some people just need to grow up and stop hating others to justify their own short comings. Sorry, this is a dumb whiny, baseless, complainy post.

players in the 2nd round and later all have some sort of issue, size, skating, whatever, thats why they aren't in the 1st round. "Poor" (i.e. not NHL level yet) is more common than not and can be dealt with more than something like size.

38 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

A lot feel Gadj, Lind and Olli weren't good enough to play in the NHL. Surprising, because these were top prospects only a couple of years ago.

So, which prospects do the Canucks have now that are actually going to become NHL players?

Lockwood, Klimovich, Di Pietro and Woo?

Getting down to some slim pickings.

A couple more showing promise in junior leagues/college.  Aidan McDonough, Zlodeyev (I am sure got the spelling wrong there.) They are reaches.

Woo and Klim have a long way to go to get to NHL.  Focht is a long shot. 
Lockwood and DiPietro look like only good bets to be NHL ready in the next year. 
A combination of graduating prospects and a constant trickle out of pics and mid level prospects have left the cupboards almost Gillis bare. 

Edited by DrJockitch

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

The last battles for spots?

Petan vs Dowling

Hunt vs Rathbone

Schenn vs Burroughs

Highmore vs MacEwen

I don’t get the hype that management has with Burroughs. Does anybody else see anything there? He has been ok but nothing to warrant the amount of looks he has gotten.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82