The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Woo has a solid hit, I was looking at the scrimmage highlights and thought it was 53 laying out guys, thinking, “$&!#, Horvat is going full Ox this season!’ But it was 52 Woo Laying out guys with clean solid checks.  

Get him as many reps as possible and meet a new not quite ready top 4 RHD that can put fear into players coming down the wing.  

Gads is in form and looking a lot like the net presence he was in junior and if he keeps this up, I see his 2nd round status as valid… same with Woo. 

Podz is showing Green he can be trusted to be a professional player and attend to his own end.  

he has the ‘Legend’ on speed dial and don’t think if given the Green light to start playing more aggressively, that Podz can’t switch gears.  

he has done so in Russia and his play offs in the KHL and WJC were great indications of Podz’s long term outlook considering his size, his defensive awareness and his tenacious puck hound ability.  

would love to see a Hogz Miller Podz line in training camp.  

or Hogz Bo and Podz.  

some really hard shifts coming for the defence when those combos get rolled out.  

Lockwood has always taken the body and played a Gallagher type game.  Expect him to break a few times being totally oblivious to his own safety.  

motte 2.0….

Kilm is a gifted natural scorer.  PP time with EP40, Brock, Hughes and OEL would be a great sight one day.  

wonderful skater and he should be spending as much time with Hogz and Podz as possible, those two are already pro world class at off season training.  

Hogz could start his own camps in the off season.  

JB and Greens team looked really good in scrimmage, the jump and timing seemed legit and everyone, after the bag skate, seemed to be clicking.

Rahbone has beaten OJ, the bag skate.  OJ has some issues and with his history, it could be legit health related due to his covid illness last season.  The after affects for those subject to the harsher illness is all unknown at this time, reports are of serious long term organ damage to the lung primarily, but not limited to the lungs.  

let’s hope whatever is the wind issue is not due to a lack of preparation on OJ’s part.  We don’t need another distraction like JV gave us last year and OJ has one real shot, this is it and if he ‘flops’ again, then I cannot see Green keeping him up in Van.  Lucky he may clear waivers if he does flop again.  It smartened Garner up and he managed to do okay for a season or two.  

love to see Gads skating so well. 

he would be a welcome addition in a year or so.  

good times and nice to see Brock looking so happy to be back.  Hughes and EP40 will be in the fold soon, that smile said it all.  

how do i subscribe to your fortune telling? I'd pay 4.99$ a month for a subscpription service for more posts like these!

Juolevi is leaning more towards Bust than Boom, this was his chance to prove himself, and yet he didn't. Green sounded disappointed when he said Olli didn't do himself any favours (poor conditioning is my guess)

They might be done waiting for this guy to turn the corner, and I have doubts he plays for the Canucks any time soon, especially with Rathbone improving and all of the new D depth available. Rathbone, Hunt and Schenn should get ice time before Juolevi.  So, what happens to Juolevi?

Abbotsford or traded?

• Sad 1

Just now, stawns said:

All OJ has to do is be good defensively, as it sounds like JR has some work to do there. Based on what I saw last season OJ will be fine.

You lost me at "media takeaway"

agreed, I trust most of our posters they are extremely knowledgeable when it comes to canucks hockey at least!

heck, even @aGENThas a couple good takes now and again.  repetition is the mother of skill, after all.

Just now, gizmo2337 said:

I have Sportsnet, TSN, and NHL center ice on Shaw. Does this mean the game will be on TV, or is it internet streaming only? And if it's on TV, will there be a stupid blackout?

don't quote me but i believe it will be on centre ice and the blackout restriction is removed.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I'm thinking that we should see first cuts today, there's usually a few when they break camp and move to exhibition schedule.

The players like Tristen Nielson, Chase Wooters, Vinny Arseneau etc, will probably be among the 1st cuts as they are either career AHL'rs or have no AHL experience.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Juolevi is leaning more towards Bust than Boom, this was his chance to prove himself, and yet he didn't. Green sounded disappointed when he said Olli didn't do himself any favours (poor conditioning is my guess)

They might be done waiting for this guy to turn the corner, and I have doubts he plays for the Canucks any time soon, especially with Rathbone improving and all of the new D depth available. Rathbone, Hunt and Schenn should get ice time before Juolevi.  So, what happens to Juolevi?

Abbotsford or traded?

Oh baby, back to back busts in the top 5 a Jimbo and Weisbrod special 

• RoughGame 2

3 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

The players like Tristen Nielson, Chase Wooters, Vinny Arseneau etc, will probably be among the 1st cuts as they are either career AHL'rs or have no AHL experience.

Yup, thinking the same, and also that we will reduce to 4 goalies in camp.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Oh baby, back to back busts in the top 5 a Jimbo and Weisbrod special 

Sometimes 1st rounders don't work out - for every team.

It is too bad about Jake and Olli, maybe Benning was just learning at the time. Since then, though, he's drafted Pettersson, Hughes and Podkolzin with the 1sts, so he's done okay.

Edited by NUCKER67

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Abbotsford or traded?

Okay so heres my beef with the “‘might be done waiting for this guy to turn the corner” idea.

How many fair opportunities has OJ been given and failed to show improvement? How long has he spent “developing”? 
He has had TWO knee surgeries and 1 back surgery in consecutive years. Does that sound like a guy who is not getting it and not turning a corner or a guy who has been developmentally stalled? Do you really want to give up on a guy who hasnt had a healthy break for a little length of time to actually prove hes an NHLer? I think there is a lot of unknown with OJ right now and I feel like it would be a gamble to send him down and hope he clears waivers and its likely a gamble another organization would look to take on a former 5th overall who has shown some promise but has had to rehab multiple serious surgeries before getting his chance to shine. Its a flat cap, teams need cheap options and need some depth on the back end. Montreal has no Weber and may look to snag a decent Dman to insert somewhere on the back end.

Id like everyone to just read this little article first before sh*tting all over OJ for one f***ing bag skate after having a really tough battle with COVID and who knows what kind of damage has been done to his lungs. 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/thecanuckway.com/2020/10/24/canucks-3-players-who-need-to-overcome-the-critics/amp/2/

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

Okay so heres my beef with the “‘might be done waiting for this guy to turn the corner” idea.

How many fair opportunities has OJ been given and failed to show improvement? How long has he spent “developing”? 
He has had TWO knee surgeries and 1 back surgery in consecutive years. Does that sound like a guy who is not getting it and not turning a corner or a guy who has been developmentally stalled? Do you really want to give up on a guy who hasnt had a healthy break for a little length of time to actually prove hes an NHLer? I think there is a lot of unknown with OJ right now and I feel like it would be a gamble to send him down and hope he clears waivers and its likely a gamble another organization would look to take on a former 5th overall who has shown some promise but has had to rehab multiple serious surgeries before getting his chance to shine. Its a flat cap, teams need cheap options and need some depth on the back end. Montreal has no Weber and may look to snag a decent Dman to insert somewhere on the back end.

Id like everyone to just read this little article first before sh*tting all over OJ for one f***ing bag skate after having a really tough battle with COVID and who knows what kind of damage has been done to his lungs. 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/thecanuckway.com/2020/10/24/canucks-3-players-who-need-to-overcome-the-critics/amp/2/

So...Abbotsford then?