The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Wild re-sign Kirill Kaprizov

Now I understand the reason Guerin bought out Parise and Sutter earlier this year - that was a training exercise before buying out Kaprizov in 2-3 years from now :-). On a serious note - I don't think it's the same situation. First, Kaprizov had a concrete high level, tax free offer in his home country. That was a real threat for the Wild, who put all the eggs in one KK basket after the huge buyouts. KK held all the aces in this negotiation and him leaving and playing in KHL was a real threat. I highly doubt Pettersson wants to go play in KHL. While playing anywhere in Europe is a possibility for him, it will only hurt his career, since his ultimate goal is to play in NHL. Kaprizov would be happy to go back to KHL for good - and that's the main difference.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Wild are royally screwed for years with those buyouts.  I would be shocked if he wasn't traded in the next couple of years.

this deal seems like exactly what Vegas was trying to avoid with William Karlsson. Has some serious risk to it. But I guess we'll see. 

Man oh man. We live in a flat cap world and i guess nobody told the players? Way too much money being handed out for 1 way play.

I watched enough of kaprizov last year to see he's nowhere to be found if he doesn't have the puck. Stays in good position in the offensive zone, Same can't be said for the other 2 zones. 

I'd still bridge EP and long term huggy. Reasons are i don't like anywhere near 9 for ep right now. One slash on the hands and is he out again for the year? Risky.
With huggy NJ will always pay a kings random to get the best of the hughes brothers, And we can get him on a long term for much cheaper then EP would cost due to RFA status.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, RomanP said:

Now I understand the reason Guerin bought out Parise and Sutter earlier this year - that was a training exercise before buying out Kaprizov in 2-3 years from now :-). On a serious note - I don't think it's the same situation. First, Kaprizov had a concrete high level, tax free offer in his home country. That was a real threat for the Wild, who put all the eggs in one KK basket after the huge buyouts. KK held all the aces in this negotiation and him leaving and playing in KHL was a real threat. I highly doubt Pettersson wants to go play in KHL. While playing anywhere in Europe is a possibility for him, it will only hurt his career, since his ultimate goal is to play in NHL. Kaprizov would be happy to go back to KHL for good - and that's the main difference.

This is all fake news pumped out by kaprizovs team lol. KHL has a very low cap limit, like 13m low. How you going to give 9+ to one guy and still ice a even half decent team. #fakenews

38 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

That's a pretty brutal AAV for for the worst term possible.  This isn't good for us at all.

30 minutes ago, Provost said:

No thanks to that deal.  Not buying free agent years and giving top dollar.

None of these kids have earned those salaries with what they have brought on the ice yet.

Sit for a while and watch the team play while losing money every day if that is the price/term expected.

The two players tried to get leverage by going with the same agent.  It also gives us leverage to simply choose not to sign Hughes and let him sit the year if we can’t get a combined deal good enough for our liking.

Hughes doesn’t get to sign until Petterson does at a reasonable rate.  

3-4 years @ $7-7.5

5-6 years no thanks 

7-8 years @8.5-9

Doesn't this deal buy two UFA years from Kaprizov?

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

This is all fake news pumped out by kaprizovs team lol. KHL has a very low cap limit, like 13m low. How you going to give 9+ to one guy and still ice a even half decent team. #fakenews

I never said they were giving him 9 mil. Remember that 9 mil is only about 5-6 mil after taxes with US cost of living. No matter how expensive Moscow is, cost of living in Russia is much-much lower than in North America. Add to it being around family and friends, getting paid salary without taxes (official tax rate in Russia is 13%). In addition, I wouldn't put much into KHL cap. This is not NHL and cap there is only for the paper. Every team is owned by an oligarch, who looks at the team as his toy, not a money making business. There's a lot of "under the carpet" payments and other ways of making it worth player's time.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, RomanP said:

I never said they were giving him 9 mil. Remember that 9 mil is only about 5-6 mil after taxes with US cost of living. No matter how expensive Moscow is, cost of living in Russia is much-much lower than in North America. Add to it being around family and friends, getting paid salary without taxes (official tax rate in Russia is 13%). In addition, I wouldn't put much into KHL cap. This is not NHL and cap there is only for the paper. Every team is owned by an oligarch, who looks at the team as his toy, not a money making business. There's a lot of "under the carpet" payments and other ways of making it worth player's time.

Listen, Kaprizov is a point per game KHL guy. So are other guys making 1.5 ( the highest paid guy ). In no world would anyone in russia hand this kid 3/4 of the cap to produce the same as the 1.5m guy. He's pretty good offensively, Chit in the other 2 zones from what ive watched. He aint no 25 yo ovi.

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Listen, Kaprizov is a point per game KHL guy. So are other guys making 1.5 ( the highest paid guy ). In no world would anyone in russia hand this kid 3/4 of the cap to produce the same as the 1.5m guy. He's pretty good offensively, Chit in the other 2 zones from what ive watched. He aint no 25 yo ovi.

Ok, whatever you say. It's always funny how people who never stepped one foot in Russia, put North American standards on everything that happens there. Keep living in your imaginary world, buddy.

Just now, RomanP said:

Ok, whatever you say. It's always funny how people who never stepped one foot in Russia, put North American standards on everything that happens there. Keep living in your imaginary world, buddy.

Cute, Way to get all defensive lmao. NHL cap 81.5 - Best player makes 12.5
KHL cap 13m - best player makes 1.5.

And here you are going off trying to defend a debunked rumor by saying kaprizov would get 5-9m back home 
Find me a management team that thinks that's a great idea for a basic offensive guy who puts up a PPG.

This is a hockey forum, Where people post opinions. Not sure why you are getting personal claiming i have never been to russia as if you know my life story? Weird claim my friend

• Cheers 2