The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Wild re-sign Kirill Kaprizov

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So basically he would get paid the same amount if he played in Russia…

Yes.                Kovalchuk walked away when his big money was about to kick in at 10mill per season because he would take home around 4 mill out of the 10 mill. He went back to Russia and was taking home more while being in his home country close to family and friends. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

25 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

Still think Barzal is a great comp for Petey. 9mil would be overpayment. IMHO.

3x7

Then we can see if Petey can stay healthy akin to Brock Boeser. If his game improves and he earns a raise, great. If not, we have a better idea as to what he will become over the next 3 seasons.

Barzal is better than Petey, but would not be offended giving him the Barzal deal.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Wound anybody here trade Petey straight up for Kaprizov?

Didn’t think so. Petey is gonna get paid alot more than most people think. You may not like it but that’s life. 

9x7 may be the tipping point to get this deal done. I’m sure Barry is asking for 10, so they could end up at 9.5. 

As for Quinn, I can see him signing a short term deal in the $7 million range. 

Benning should be able to fit $16.5 million into the salary cap. They can do it if they go with 22 players. 

I think they can do $17.2m combined cap hit for EP + QH if they roll with a 22 man roster

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bell said:

Barzal is better than Petey, but would not be offended giving him the Barzal deal.

I also think DeBrincat in Chicago is a fair comp too. His numbers in CHI have been stellar and he only earns 6.4 per. Lots of guys making lesser money than KK that Benning can point to as comps.

-Ehlers

-Nylander

-Larkin

-Hischier

-Keller

Based around these more reasonable comps, in contrast to KK's new deal, I think we can realistically get Petey for 7-8 mill per short term deal and 8.5 on a longer term if possible. Very interesting to see how it will play out.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

The Marner and Matthews deals pushed the trend of stupidly overpaid second contracts too.  Is there a guy at 10 or more per year that actually deserves that amount other than McDavid, especially when compared to Ponit, Kucherov, Crosby, OV, Hedman, and the other great (and proven) players?  

I think part of the problem too is some of these players now come from money.

So show me the money....if you don't I'll pull on Dad's trust I don't care. In the old days it wasn't like that.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Chris12345 said:

I think part of the problem too is some of these players now come from money.

So show me the money....if you don't I'll pull on Dad's trust I don't care. In the old days it wasn't like that.

And some of the top guys compare themselves to their peers not by playoff wins and Cups, but by their cap hit.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, RomanP said:

Now I understand the reason Guerin bought out Parise and Sutter earlier this year - that was a training exercise before buying out Kaprizov in 2-3 years from now :-). On a serious note - I don't think it's the same situation. First, Kaprizov had a concrete high level, tax free offer in his home country. That was a real threat for the Wild, who put all the eggs in one KK basket after the huge buyouts. KK held all the aces in this negotiation and him leaving and playing in KHL was a real threat. I highly doubt Pettersson wants to go play in KHL. While playing anywhere in Europe is a possibility for him, it will only hurt his career, since his ultimate goal is to play in NHL. Kaprizov would be happy to go back to KHL for good - and that's the main difference.

There never was a KHL offer per CSKA’s GM who says there’s only friendship.  There’s a salary cap in the KHL. 

Guerin has repeatedly said he’s not worried about the KHL threat.  It’s apparently a tactic used by his agent who Russo says tried to impress on him early that the threat was real but he wasn’t buying it. The people close to Kaprizov he spoke to assured that he wants to play in the NHL.

Kaprizov was a 10.2 (c) like Hughes and Boeser before - not arbitration eligible and can’t sign an offer sheet.

Edited by mll

Big money for a one year NHL'er.

The Sedins always took a home town discount to stay together and allow the Canucks to stay competitive, we were spoiled with them. Maybe some of that can rub off on Petey a bit though but with the same agent for Petey and Hughes there is a bit of leverage against the 'nucks.

• Like 1

This is a pretty rough contract for the team. Hopefully the Toronto effect doesn't continue to extend.

I think people are undervaluing Pettersson a long term deal. For 7-8 years he could reasonably get over 10M. Looking purely at offensive numbers, his comparables put him at over 11M for 8 years. Throw in a PPG Playoff performance and that's insurance that he could actually get closer to his higher bound. The thing dragging him back are his injuries, which may pull that number down. 

I still think Pettersson is destined for a bridge while Hughes may be the one going long term. 

10 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Big money for a one year NHL'er.

The Sedins always took a home town discount to stay together and allow the Canucks to stay competitive, we were spoiled with them. Maybe some of that can rub off on Petey a bit though but with the same agent for Petey and Hughes there is a bit of leverage against the 'nucks.

Yes, we were spoiled for sure with the Sedins.  We knew that before but we will keep being reminded of that for many years to come.  

I wonder if we will feel that way with Horvat in the future.  Somehow he's out of the spotlight for the most part despite being the captain, putting up fantastic numbers and signing a team-friendly deal. 

• Like 3