The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

6 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

They both had off years on their contract year which is good for us. Petey got injured and that will go against him (recovery questions) and Quinn had a terrible back checking season. 

8 is way too much, especially in this flat cap era and where owners lost a years revenue. 

Like I said 6X6 is fair and 5X5 would be awesome. 

8 for 8 years would help in the long run tho. Eichel makes 10 mil per which is what petey is worth imo. Cap will be going up yearly soon so its not a bad idea.

3 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

They both had off years on their contract year which is good for us. Petey got injured and that will go against him (recovery questions) and Quinn had a terrible back checking season. 

8 is way too much, especially in this flat cap era and where owners lost a years revenue. 

Like I said 6X6 is fair and 5X5 would be awesome. 

Sounds like the contracts of Oilers yesteryears....Eberle, Hall, Nugent-Hopkins 6 x 6M.  And those were 6+ years ago.  Not going to happen in 2021.  Not even in a cap-flat era. 

Backloaded bridge deals of 3 x $7M to guarantee a higher q-offer for both Hughes and Pettersson is my call.  I could be wrong (I'm wrong more times than I'm right, FYI). 

Anything less on the AAV will be a bonus for the Canucks ownership/management and all amateur capologists here on CDC.

If all four of the following happen  --  Virtanen is terminated (or is bought out), Loui retires (or is bought out), Holtby is taken by the Kraken (or is bought out), and Roussel is bought out  -- the Canucks will have lots of cap room (and associated dead cap space for the next two seasons) to add to their roster in the UFA pool in 2021 and 2022, just as long as Benning doesn't go spending money like a drunken sailor on the bottom six.

1 hour ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Me too, but lets say 3 years out.

Horvat and Miller can 7 and 6 respectivelly. Boeser will want 7.5

Hoglander and Poldkozin can be near 5 million.

Thats 38.5 mill in our top 6.

Hughes with 8 and Demko with 5. Thats 51.5 in those 8 players

Boeser isnt worth 7.  Hughes isnt worth more than 6.  If we overpay one dimensional players like this we have screwed ourselves longterm.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

19 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

8 for 8 years would help in the long run tho. Eichel makes 10 mil per which is what petey is worth imo. Cap will be going up yearly soon so its not a bad idea.

Petey we can lock in at 8.  But a big hell no to Hughes.  That money needs to go to a legit number 1 dman.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

lol they are not going to sign a bridge contract for anything less than barzal 7mil. say what u want about petey's production this year.. if he didn't hit like 15 post to start the season we might be talking about 7.5-8mil just for a bridge contract.

26 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Boeser isnt worth 7.  Hughes isnt worth more than 6.  If we overpay one dimensional players like this we have screwed ourselves longterm.

Isnt Boesers next contract supposed to be around 7 based on his RFA status and whatever rules there are, unless they go to arbitration (im not sure). I'd rather pay Horvat more then Boeser personally.

Boeser can score 30g great, but cant play fully on both sides of the ice. 

• RoughGame 1

Centers near Pettersson range in terms of P/GP are Toews and Backstrom.

No offence to Petty, but those 2 are proven winners. Petey still has lots to show before he gets $ near them in terms of 9M plus. Courtier makes near 4.3 M yet has the benefit of playing with high end players too. ROR makes 7.5 M and if he gets that, Petey shouldnt get more than that long term imo.

I love these players don't get me wrong, but we have to play hardball sadly

Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 8.38.33 PM.png

• Like 3

I think they should get similar contracts to what Boeser got. That would make most sense to me. Slightly better players then Brock was when he signed his deal but also flat cap should play a factor. That would be of course on bridge deals. 

Unless you can sign them long term around that 7 million mark I think you go for it. Well worth the risk. I think both these kids are going to be fabulous players. Don’t give a rats ass what people think of Hughes defensively, he’s gonna get better all around.

3 hours ago, combover said:

Right after jim takes care of the important ones

like vessey sutter edler hamonic unless a new shinny toy like OEL catches his eye then they’ll have to wait and be patient.

Atleast he  can’t  run out of time... can he? 

history repeats it self. 

You are moving to the top of the list of biggest idiots on CDC really fast...

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Isnt Boesers next contract supposed to be around 7 based on his RFA status and whatever rules there are, unless they go to arbitration (im not sure). I'd rather pay Horvat more then Boeser personally.

You missed a season.....

3 hours ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Hoping they go in to negotiations with a Nathan Mackinnon type of attitude. He has the same agent and he deliberately took less money on his last contract to leave more room to get other players signed and has already said he will absolutely take less than market value on his next contract to make sure his team stays competitive.

One can dream,, Mack is such a beaut

Hope youre right too :metal:

Centers near Pettersson range in terms of P/GP are Toews and Backstrom.

No offence to Petty, but those 2 are proven winners. Petey still has lots to show before he gets $ near them in terms of 9M plus. Courtier makes near 4.3 M yet has the benefit of playing with high end players too. ROR makes 7.5 M and if he gets that, Petey shouldnt get more than that long term imo.

I love these players don't get me wrong, but we have to play hardball sadly

Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 8.38.33 PM.png

don't all these guys play with great players? seriously do you remember how many points miller,hughes,boeser had before petey was injured?

i'll remind you. miller boeser hughes were near 1.0ppg players. imagine if petey's aim was dialed in? he hit 8 posts, after 56 games petey is tied for 4th place in posts/crossbars.

For Boeser, yes I believe you are correct that his Qualifying Offer is 7M based on the last year $$ amount.

However, I believe there were some changes to the rules on QOs.  So on new contracts, the QOs next time around would be based on the AAV.  This was to close that unforeseen loophole (that the SJ player did).

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

don't all these guys play with great players? seriously do you remember how many points miller,hughes,boeser had before petey was injured?

i'll remind you. miller boeser hughes were near 1.0ppg players. imagine if petey's aim was dialed in? he hit 8 posts, after 56 games petey is tied for 4th place in posts/crossbars.

for perspective the sdeins 3 season prior to their 6.1m contract they were 0.97ppg.

that contract today would be 8.8m