The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

8 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

CAA is going to dummy, dumb and dumber ( Benning and Francesco). They going to cave in and sign contracts that walk Petey, Quinn  into FA. The dude overpays for plugs but can’t give out money to players who deserve it.

if you convince them to sign for less short term, letting them have the leverage of ufa as quickly as possible is a fair trade. if you believe the guy wants to be here and you want to build your franchise around him, why does it matter?

to me EP at the moment is worth 7 to 7.5 mill, now he might stay the same and not get better and if so any more would be a BIG over payment, but if he gets better he is worth more, so me 8 mill at the very most is what he is worth

QH has a lot of things to improve and the end of last season gave JB fuel to add to give QH less, me he is worth 6 to 6.5 but 7 at most is what he should get long term

now the numbers do show this and if they want more, trade them for players and picks so we can be a better team, me I wish we can keep them and think we will , but this is the time for JB to play hard ball and let then understand what they are worth and nothing more

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

I notice that all the jackass butt smoochers whining on his behalf only refer to the "one of the worst teams" portion of his comment. They conveniently ignore the fact that he's using that as an excuse to justify Quinn's below average defensive play. The team is the players, so he's blaming Quinn's team-mates while absolving him of any blame.

I posted this earlier

On the same team    Edler 32,2% o zone starts  -8       Schmidt 34.9% O zone starts   -7 

Hamonic 52% O zone starts -3    Hughes 62.2 O zone starts -24

Edler and Schmidt had higher D-zone starts than Quinn's O zone starts yet have a much better +/-. Same team, same team-mates.

Scary to think what Quinn's +/- might have been if he had something close to 50/50 deployment.

• Vintage 2

10 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

If they are that confident that they are worth top dollar, then they should both sign reasonable bridge deals and prove it.

Term that walks them right to UFA status should be off the table. If that's the holdup, then I don't mind if Benning sticks to his guns and lets the sit for a while.

Again, if they think that they're that good, then they should sign the bridge deals and prove it on the ice.

nobody has been able to make me understand why agreeing to deals that go right to ufa are such a mortal sin. why is it so much worse than buying 1 or 2 years of ufa? does it make that much difference? and frankly, I'd rather have them right at ufa than sign them to bridge deals that land them in rfa again where you have to go through this nonsense all offseason long. at least ufa has real pressure points -- either you get it done prior to the ufa period or you're almost certainly going to lose them.

furthermore, I suspect a team putting their faith and trust in a player like that, telling them "we believe you're not going to burn us, we believe that this relationship is strong enough that we don't need the leverage of owning you in order to make a deal" would go a long way for a guy. I know personally, if a team put that trust in me, I'd have way too much guilt to bail on them down the line.

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Scary to think what Quinn's +/- might have been if he had something close to 50/50 deployment.

I bet you'd be surprised at the result. keep in mind, if you're starting in the offensive zone most of the time, it means that by the time you have to skate hard back to your own zone and start defending, you're already well into your shift and playing tired. not always of course, but a lot of the time. you're certainly not starting the shift fresh and with the mindset of "ok, keep the puck out of the net."

lol starting to think this fan base will start booing EP and QH the moment they step on the ice if they don't sign something that they are happy with like 5mil x 3 years or something. look at all these comments about sitting them for the year trade them etc etc lol and the season haven't even started yet nor have they heard anything other than "rumors". i mean look at all the toxicity they are receiving on this board already based on "rumors" leaked by "unknown sources"

11 minutes ago, tas said:

nobody has been able to make me understand why agreeing to deals that go right to ufa are such a mortal sin. why is it so much worse than buying 1 or 2 years of ufa? does it make that much difference? and frankly, I'd rather have them right at ufa than sign them to bridge deals that land them in rfa again where you have to go through this nonsense all offseason long. at least ufa has real pressure points -- either you get it done prior to the ufa period or you're almost certainly going to lose them.

furthermore, I suspect a team putting their faith and trust in a player like that, telling them "we believe you're not going to burn us, we believe that this relationship is strong enough that we don't need the leverage of owning you in order to make a deal" would go a long way for a guy. I know personally, if a team put that trust in me, I'd have way too much guilt to bail on them down the line.

Don't pretend to know their intentions are or what they're thinking.

By holding out, they've already shown that money is their top priority. If they go to UFA status, then they can get teams into a bidding war for their services. I'm sure their slimy agent would hate that.

We would have to make a call at trade deadline to move them or try to get pennies on the dollar for their negotiating rights before UFA opens. Other teams would know the situation and low ball us at the trade deadline limiting our potential return.

If we go one year less than UFA and they want out then at least we can get a decent return. We should get a chance to recoup our losses if they don't want to be here.

I'm not saying they want out but at this point we have no idea where their heads are at in regards to the future. Quinn may actually want to re-unite with his brothers for all we know and Petey's cryptic comments make his intentions unclear.

• Haha 1

Just now, RWMc1 said:

Don't pretend to know their intentions are or what they're thinking.

By holding out, they've already shown that money is their top priority. If they go to UFA status, then they can get teams into a bidding war for their services. I'm sure their slimy agent would hate that.

We would have to make a call at trade deadline to move them or try to get pennies on the dollar for their negotiating rights before UFA opens. Other teams would know the situation and low ball us at the trade deadline limiting our potential return.

If we go one year less than UFA and they want out then at least we can get a decent return. We should get a chance to recoup our losses if they don't want to be here.

I'm not saying they want out but at this point we have no idea where their heads are at in regards to the future. Quinn may actually want to re-unite with his brothers for all we know and Petey's cryptic comments make his intentions unclear.

Again, Petey and Quinn are not technically holding out.  They don’t have contracts, so this is actually a negotiating period.  They will only be holding out if they start to miss actual regular season games.  

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

28 minutes ago, tas said:

I bet you'd be surprised at the result. keep in mind, if you're starting in the offensive zone most of the time, it means that by the time you have to skate hard back to your own zone and start defending, you're already well into your shift and playing tired. not always of course, but a lot of the time. you're certainly not starting the shift fresh and with the mindset of "ok, keep the puck out of the net."

By that logic Edler’s 32% OZ starts with 38 GF 49 GA ES vs Hughes 62% OZ starts and 42 GF 64 GA ES

I see a gap in the logic

Edited by bbllpp

4 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol starting to think this fan base will start booing EP and QH the moment they step on the ice if they don't sign something that they are happy with like 5mil x 3 years or something. look at all these comments about sitting them for the year trade them etc etc lol and the season haven't even started yet nor have they heard anything other than "rumors". i mean look at all the toxicity they are receiving on this board already based on "rumors" leaked by "unknown sources"

Stupid hyperbole. Maybe one or two posters have suggested sitting them for an entire year. Most people have suggested a bridge deal at around 7-7.5 million. You know. Barzal and Point type money.

Sign both to 3 year bridge deals, if they go on to win a cup for us or at least get us close, that's when we talk about 10 mil deals. If they win us our first cup in 50+ years, 10+ mil offer should definitely be tendered and I don't think any fan is going to complain even if their salaries cripple the team.

Right now, the focus should be getting everyone to come in under 8 mil so that we can ice competitive roster at least for the next 3 years to find out what we have is enough to get us the cup.

If Petey and QH are not the guys to take us there (i.e., Monahan and Gaudreau once seemed destined to take Calgary to the promise land), we need to re-tool in 3 years anyways so we may end up trading him or shedding expensive players with cheaper and younger alternatives.

I don't buy this bull$hit that if we sign them to a 3 year deal and them putting up amazing seasons in those 3 years makes it hard to keep them at a reasonable cap since they have the leverage of walking into UFA in one year.

If Petey wins an Art Ross, Hart, or Selke in the next 3 years, we will very likely have been a contender in those 3 years and he should and will get paid and ditto for Hughes if he puts up 80+ points or wins Norris or whatever. 

Get the f*cking 3 year bridge deal done and worry about paying them that much money later when it happens. Right now, Petey is no where near Selke or Hart and the same for QH.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Again, Petey and Quinn are not technically holding out.  They don’t have contracts, so this is actually a negotiating period.  They will only be holding out if they start to miss actual regular season games.  

This is nit-picking garbage. Why don't they have a contract? Are you suggesting that they haven't received many options by Benning. They haven't signed any of them, so they are holding out for a better deal. Is that too hard for you to comprehend?

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, RWMc1 said:

This is nit-picking garbage. Why don't they have a contract? Are you suggesting that they haven't received many options by Benning. They haven't signed any of them, so they are holding out for a better deal. Is that too hard for you to comprehend?

Weren't the Sedins signed close to the midnight hour in the first year of Gillis as GM?  They'll get signed.  It's just a question for how much & how long.

1 hour ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Everyone is letting these greasy agents do exactly what they want. Fans become impatient, Worry about rumors leaked out by a guy who literally said on his live show my source is the agent, Hoping we all put pressure on the franchise to just sign these two for whatever they are asking so they don't miss any time. 

Nahhhhhh. Not getting baited into that. Hold your ground JB. These contracts make or break the entire structure of this team. I want FAIR for what we have seen. Not pay for potential, And on a shorter deal at that. 

I'm 100% on Benning side on this one.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Petey wants Marner 10.9M x 6 and QH wants Makar 9m x 6.  This has been reported by Dhaliwal and others as direct quotes from their agents as to what the comparables are for these players.

The players and their agents  do not want bridge deals at this point.  They want the Canucks to trade a player to make room to give them the 6 year deals costing 19.9M per year.  Canucks have only 16M ish available.

That is why no deals yet.  Petey has now gone to Michigan to join QH and they are gonna sit there together and wait.

That is the reality my friends.

Gonna be a long time. Petey moved to Quinn's agent. Jack says Quinn deserves a big number. That sets the table.

This is it folks.  There is no magic bullet.  Gonna be a while before they eventually sign bridge deals and a lot of bad feelings have been created.

People are justified in feeling upset  This is a big disappointment for a very patient and loyal fan base. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Petey wants Marner 10.9M x 6 and QH wants Makar 9m x 6.  This has been reported by Dhaliwal and others as direct quotes from their agents as to what the comparables are for these players.

The players and their agents  do not want bridge deals at this point.  They want the Canucks to trade a player to make room to give them the 6 year deals costing 19.9M per year.  Canucks have only 16M ish available.

That is why no deals yet.  Petey has now gone to Michigan to join QH and they are gonna sit there together and wait.

That is the reality my friends.

Gonna be a long time. Petey moved to Quinn's agent. Jack says Quinn deserves a big number. That sets the table.

This is it folks.  There is no magic bullet.  Gonna be a while before they eventually sign bridge deals and a lot of bad feelings have been created.

People are justified in feeling upset  This is a big disappointment for a very patient and loyal fan base. 

Not sure any of that is true but if it is I'll be happy to see them traded. That being said I hope it's not.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Stupid hyperbole. Maybe one or two posters have suggested sitting them for an entire year. Most people have suggested a bridge deal at around 7-7.5 million. You know. Barzal and Point type money.

1 or 2 lol? have u been reading the entire thread? literally every page in this thread since mid august there's couple post about suggestions to trade them or sit them