The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

4 hours ago, McBackup said:

I honestly don't think they do. I know this is all just speculation, but that's what this thread is for. Given everything we know about them, I don't necessarily think they're opposed to Vancouver itself specifically, but more so they've got bright eyes for other spots.

Wouldn't surprise me to see either of them walk/be traded at some point if their salary demands are truly absurd. Moreso Quinn than Petey because of his siblings.

4 hours ago, spook007 said:

Feel for QH..?

If he wanted a contract signed, it would be signed by now. 
But yes they need EP signed first to ensure they have the cash to match offersheets...

Personally I'm starting to wonder if either of them sees their future in Vancouver, beyond their next contracts. 

Tough to say, but that's why it's so important they aren't walked right to UFA. Hopefully Benning can at least get that put of them.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Pretty sad seeing a bunch of "fans" turning on our two best players. 

Don't think anyone are turning on our players. Fans react to what they see... just wait, once they are signed, this will be a distant memory only...

Nevertheless, 2 and 2 equals 4, and both players and their agent know that. So I think the salary has been agreed upon, but I tjink the term and conditions are the sticking point. 
Not turning of either player... hope it gets sorted out in everyones favour. 

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, Live like a Canuck! said:

I disagree.

They owe the Vancouver fans. We deserve more.

Yes, both players deserve to be paid. But considerations to the Vancouver fans who also deserve to support a winning team. ‘Team’ being the focus here. They have to leave something on the table for their present and future team members to also receive fair compensation. They also should respect what ownership and management and team are trying to accomplish. All should be putting the team first to reach the ultimate goal. They have to leave space for the GM to manoeuvre to improve the team. You do not want a Toronto scenario here where they have trapped and painted themselves into a corner.

…and just because a desperate GM of another franchise has chosen to self preserve or make a terrible decision by over paying its top tier players; should not be the only consideration to set the market price of a player comparable. As noted by another; send Hughes to New Jersey to let the brothers decide who should take a pay cut. This is just cutting to the point. It’s a team of brotherhood. It’s about their fans, it’s respect to ownership and GM and coaches and fellow team players. It should not be just about a me attitude. Ownership is leaving nothing on the table.  They alway spend near to the cap limit.

Did Quinn ever say he wanna go join his brothers in New Jersey?? I don't even know who we would want in return... 

Let’s throw this out there. Here is my prediction. The players each have two complete deals ready to go. One is a bridge for both and the other is a longer term for each with a little higher AAV. Once the Hamonic situation is figured out (tomorrow I believe is the opt out deadline) all parties will know the available cap space. A quick friendly signing and either way both are on the roster by the weekend. 

55 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Pretty sad seeing a bunch of "fans" turning on our two best players. 

Yeah some people have but I think more people have turned on the process of signing them. I imagine once we do have them signed we'll all look at the numbers and wonder why it took them so long to get it done.

• Cheers 2