The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

4 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Anaheim, Seattle, Nashville, Columbus, New Jersey, Rangers, Buffalo, Detroit, or  Ottawa are the teams with cap space to make an offer sheet. So ask yourself which ones would be inviting to EP? Which ones have the potential for those 4 first rounders to be very high? I’d take the 4 1sts from most of those teams if push came to shove.

Doesn't Seattle get you a guaranteed top 3 pick next year? 

Could you imagine an offer sheet of $10M for both Hughes and Pettersen?

Would you consider 4 firsts from 2 different teams, especially those teams, potential to draft Wright, Bedard and Michkov ( one can only dream of the potential returns for 4 years, although massive losses in Pettersen and Hughes).

Not sure I would like to be in the position to make the decisions to match or walk away.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

Doesn't Seattle get you a guaranteed top 3 pick next year? 

Could you imagine an offer sheet of $10M for both Hughes and Pettersen?

Would you consider 4 firsts from 2 different teams, especially those teams, potential to draft Wright, Bedard and Michkov ( one can only dream of the potential returns for 4 years, although massive losses in Pettersen and Hughes).

Not sure I would like to be in the position to make the decisions to match or walk away.

Good point, I never thought about that with Seattle.  Hughes isn’t eligible for an offer sheet though which might be unfortunate. Can you imagine two first rounders from two of those teams for the next four years with generational talents in at least the next two drafts!

54 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Like I said, no one knows what the holdup is. The risk of an offer sheet is real though. Who knows if EP would sign one or not. But its definitely added leverage for his agent to let Benning think he might.

I dont blame the player or the agent at all.

EP and Hughes should have been done before anything else. Why tempt fate if you dont have to?

Tbh things are not sequential there is no reason why you cannot work around some people, if we wait for EP and QH and they drag their feet we risk getting the moves done that we did, making the team worse and making the cost still for EP and QH higher or risk EP taking an offer sheet. 

doing it the way JB has done gives him more leverage as the team is on paper significantly better than last year which shows that we can be a winning team which in turn strengthens the argument for taking not necessarily a team friendly deal but not going for a ridiculous contract.

However I doubt that JB had a plan to do this first then that, but more worked on them all with his team (because it’s not just JB doing everything) with a view of getting things done quickly.

signing UFAs does not mean he cannot talk with RFAs or agents etc 

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Like I said, no one knows what the holdup is. The risk of an offer sheet is real though. Who knows if EP would sign one or not. But its definitely added leverage for his agent to let Benning think he might.

I dont blame the player or the agent at all.

EP and Hughes should have been done before anything else. Why tempt fate if you dont have to?

A bold statement without knowing the ins and outs...

How much did/will EP or QH ask for? Are you prepared to give them 10-12+ each?

Very likely at least EP want to see, what the future of this franchise looks like?

What are other players getting paid?

Do they even wanna stay in Vancouver?

Those 2 contracts are likely going to be the biggest contracts signed by the Canucks since the Luongo deal, maybe even bigger, so its not just a Sunday stroll down to the pub. 

By leaving them to last, the Club has shown them both their ambition, and how much money there is left, if they wanna build a contender.

They've also shown, that they wanted to give Petey more offensive help, and maybe shown QH a willingness to get him the two players, he played the best with during his tenure here... a lot thing, we don't know jack about, is part of the negotiations, and it's not necessarily just about dollars and cents...

• Cheers 2

23 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol there's no way in hell EP is going to sign a 7-8 years at 7-8 lol.. if that was the case he would have been signed long ago

Man Hughes is not going to be cheap if we wanted to go long term now. After Werenski got over 9.5m all but assures Hughes is likely doing a short bridge deal to then get a new contract in the 9-11m per season contract if he can round out his game more.

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

Man Hughes is not going to be cheap if we wanted to go long term now. After Werenski got over 9.5m all but assures Hughes is likely doing a short bridge deal to then get a new contract in the 9-11m per season contract if he can round out his game more.

For Hughs to command 11 ml he'll have to be a 90 point d man. 

• Cheers 4

8 hours ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

So it is only the first year they were given the number 3 pick? My mistake I thought it was for the first 2 years

Yeah its just 1st year which was garbage in the first place. Teams that actually played should be given presidency over them. 

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

just listened to the whole interview - the most interesting part of me was Barry speculating Jim may not be done making moves yet. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, smokes said:

Benning does this to troll Canucks fans. He always takes his sweet time with his stars. I remember Horvat and Boeser were also signed late in the off season.

i think Benning would sign today but JP Barry is holding it up hoping for an offer sheet for Pettersson, but yet he says Canucks have cap issues but Petey and Hughes both want to stay. i say get it done already, this is not good for the players or the team to let it keep on like this.

• Cheers 1