The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Seattle Kraken at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 05, 2021 | 7:00 pm PT | Sportsnet One

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Considering what Dorsett brought to our club at $2.65m AAV for his last 4 seasons and knowing how similar Motte plays the spark plug energy guy role I’m fine with re-signing him. These guys are hard to find that can change the entire complexion of the game on the back of one shift and it’ll cost us about $1m more per season. Do we really want to give him up over such a small amount of money? He’s a guy you win the playoffs with if healthy, so unless he wants more then $2.5m or so I’m definitely wanting to keep him. We have enough low dollar contracts and young prospects fighting for a roster spot to compliment our team cap wise in the future and it’s pretty likely the cap will go up over the next few years giving us more room.

Personally I see a lot of risk in letting him go, but not a lot in spending a bit more to give him the value he deserves when he’s on the ice. I also have a soft spot for how open he’s been about dealing with his mental health problems and advocating on the issue.

I think Motte's developed into a bit more than just a 4th line energy winger.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Just like we did in Spokane!!

Oh, wait, our 1/2 team lost 5-3 on that occasion.  Will last change make that much of a difference?

We were a lot less than half a team in Spokane, I think we had 5 experienced players in the lineup.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, DS4quality said:

I'm wondering if they're playing Myers  and OEL to give Hughes a look with Poolman in case Hamonic doesn't come back 

Fair bet.

They need to have a Plan B ready for starting the year without Hamonic, and on paper, the most sensible option right now looks to be OEL-Myers, Hughes-Poolman, [Juolevi/Rathbone/Hunt]-Schenn.

It’s a bit of a shame, because OEL-Poolman seems to be working out well, and ideally you’d just continue to let them build their chemistry.

But they need to have a partner for Hughes, and neither Myers not Schenn is really a great option. 

They also need to get OEL-Myers some reps paired together, so they won’t be starting cold, if the season opens without the Hamonic thing resolved, and we have to build the D order without him.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Motte is a UFA next summer. He will want to get paid as it will probably be his last contract of significance. We don’t want to get into another situation where we are paying 4th liners $2 million+. 

We need cheap hungry guys like Highmore, Lockwood etc. to fill the 4th line role. If you can turn Motte into a 4th line centre that can be your #1 penalty killer then you do it. Otherwise we will probably lose him for nothing. 

Motte is 26, so perhaps a bit late to the game, but still young.  Of all players we've had in the past couple of years, only two players have an early Alex Burrows - like game to me:  Hogs and Motte.  If Motte can stay healthy, he's earned a 3rd line spot.

8 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Fair bet.

They need to have a Plan B ready for starting the year without Hamonic, and on paper, the most sensible option right now looks to be OEL-Myers, Hughes-Poolman, [Juolevi/Rathbone/Hunt]-Schenn.

It’s a bit of a shame, because OEL-Poolman seems to be working out well, and ideally you’d just continue to let them build their chemistry.

But they need to have a partner for Hughes, and neither Myers not Schenn is really a great option. 

They also need to get OEL-Myers some reps paired together, so they won’t be starting cold, if the season opens without the Hamonic thing resolved, and we have to build the D order without him.

Juolevi-Schenn would be too slow and will get beat wide all night long.

I'd go with Hughes-Schenn. With Hughes mobility, Schenn just needs to be the stay at home defenceman that he is.

OEL-Poolman

Hughes-Schenn

OJ-Myers

is what I'd start with.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Conscience said:

Not sure we want Schenn playing as many minutes as Hughes, even without power play.

We're really missing a top 4rhd

We’ve got 4 or 5 D-men that can play the big minutes in Myers, OEL, Hughes and Poolman/Hamonic, but what we lack is complimentary partners for each backend pair. It’s more a specific need to find a Tanev like stay at home d-man for Hughes so he can play his offensive style game and not get caught on the back check. Hamonic looked ok with Hughes last season and maybe someone else if he’s not here will step up (pretty sure that’s why we got Poolman, we’ll see how that pairing works out) and find a home next to him.

I gotta say though considering our team rosters since the Sedin era ended its really refreshing to only be talking about possibly one missing piece instead of multiple glaring holes in our lineup.

27 minutes ago, Conscience said:

Not sure we want Schenn playing as many minutes as Hughes, even without power play.

We're really missing a top 4rhd

Don't think it's going to be that bad.

Schenn normally wouldn't be able to handle as much 5-on-5 minutes but with Hughes on the ice driving possession it should be OK.  Simpler said than done but Schenn just needs to be ready when the puck's turned over and there is a counter attack.

4 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

He has however I believe guys like Motte and Lockwood are the perfect fourth liners.  I'd much rather have those two in the lineup than guys like Beagle who always seem to be a step behind the play.  These guys bring so much energy that even though they are meant to be defenders they can create their own offensive chances that guys like Beagle and Sutter can't bring.  They're perfect fourth line wingers and I'd much rather have two of them rather than a big pylon.  Actually I'd rather have 3 Motte types on the fourth line with a guy like Dowling as centre.  Having an energy filled fourth line who are all solid on defense is my ultimate fourth line.  I feel like pure shutdown fourth lines are a thing of the past.  For example I really like Calgary's Mangiapane fourth line.

I can only imagine a line with costmar-motte-lockwood:o

We have a weaker lineup with only a handful of regulars and our starting goalie. 

Every game we have played has had a difference in roster talent. 

Hard to get a grasp of how this team plays without the full roster but we will be able to tell which of the bubble/young guys can handle the pressure tonight. Demko should face a lot of shots too which will be good for him I guess. 

59 minutes ago, khay said:

Don't think it's going to be that bad.

Schenn normally wouldn't be able to handle as much 5-on-5 minutes but with Hughes on the ice driving possession it should be OK.  Simpler said than done but Schenn just needs to be ready when the puck's turned over and there is a counter attack.

Agreed. Methot was roughly the same age when he was Karlsson's wingman

They were great together.

• Cheers 1