The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Canucks @ Oilers Oct 7th 6 PM

Rate this topic

ForzaTikare

5 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Q.  How many players can a team lose to waivers?  We lost Lind to Seattle so that’s not a waiver loss bit we lose Gadjovich.  If we send OJ down to Abby do we lose him waivers as well?  

Probably.   Doubt the team has the stomach to do both.   Ultimately they took a big risk and lost the gamble.   Sucks.   Gadjovich will play the entire season on SJ with Kane's future in doubt. 

23 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I really liked both Bowey and Bailey tonight. 
Could see Rathbone-Bowery on nights playing teams like Oilers and OJ-Schenn on nights playing Flames sort of thing going on. 

Bowey made a number of high risk passes in his own zone. If the Canucks carry 8 D who stays? I really like Rathbone but see value in him playing 20 games in Abby while the Canucks settle their d-side in. Also like Borroughs. I doubt OJ is going anywhere. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I really liked both Bowey and Bailey tonight. 
Could see Rathbone-Bowery on nights playing teams like Oilers and OJ-Schenn on nights playing Flames sort of thing going on. 

Bowey hasn't looked out of place in any game I've seen him play. Good first game for Bailey too. I like Lockwood's energy, and speed, Podkolzin is showing more each game, Focht played well again. If that's the Coilers NHL roster, the only Championship McJesus is ever going to win is an Olympic gold. One line, no defense, and Smith isn't going to play and be good enough in 50+ games. Man did Duncan Keith ever get exposed last night. Rathbone, Petey, and VP for three instances.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

This was great. Will Lockwood frustrating the whole Oilers team, even causing McBaby to attack him from behind, like a Coward.

I have little concerns for the Canucks this year, wait until they have their starting roster.

A 100% healthy Canucks team should be a pretty tough match up for most teams and even if a guy like Lockwood is sent to Abbotsford, that's tremendous depth to be able to inject into the line-up.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

This was great. Will Lockwood frustrating the whole Oilers team, even causing McBaby to attack him from behind, like a Coward.

I have little concerns for the Canucks this year, wait until they have their starting roster.

McBaby struggles when he is up against guys who are as fast as he is.  He loves to carry the puck, so a really fast guy like Lockwood (who is also a McDavid seeking missile) can blow him up.  I’d love to see a guy like Lockwood (on any team) get McDavid coming around a D man and going net front.  The speed of collision would explode McDavid.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

Spot on... 

Think Lockwood may be the victim of being waiver exempt... but really liking his energy and ability to get under the oppositions skin...

He doesn't do a whole lot other than that at the NHL level though.  He needs a year, maybe two, to develop other parts of his game

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Battle of the Zachs. I'm pretty sure Assian propositioned MacEwen to fight, maybe trying to teach him a lesson. Well that backfired eh? 

He did...saw them "talking" pre face off and it was definitely Kass asking him to go.  

Was a pretty even fight in the end...until it all went sideways.  Tough one...don't like to see anyone hit their head on the ice.

• Cheers 1

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

I think Lockwood may be a very valuable player, gritty with fearless. Even has a shiner, love it. Having a guy like that will cause a lot of headaches for teams, get them off their game. 

Me too.

If you can rattle top players and get them off their game, that can be pretty effective.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I'm starting to think this is actually who Gadjovich was competing against to make the roster. Net front presence guy who can score greasy goals. MacEwan isn't really that but Chaisson is.

If you compare Chaisson against Gadj, I do think Chaisson has won the spot over him. I hate to say it, I absolutely loved watching Gadjovich on the farm, but i've watched so many other prospects like him become stars in the AHL only to fall short in the NHL. They come, they go. I try not to get too torn about it.

Gadj really improved his skating over the summer and I thought he looked ok in the preseason games, but he is still having issues away from the puck and that won't fly with Travis Greens fast paced system. 

Chaisson looked pretty good all night with Petey, he's a big body that can protect the puck well and keep up with the offensive pace of the game. 

Once our final cuts are made i'm sure we'll see the announcement that we have signed him to a 1 year deal. I do think he's earned it.

I think it's a pretty safe bet that Chiasson is on the team........I thought that about gadj too though

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Canadian said:

Draisaitl had his head looking down at the puck and Lockwood came full speed in on him. With the size difference, Lockwood definitely went in a little shoulder to chin. Draisaitl immediately sorta slumped over and went to the bench. It wasn’t a blindside hit per se, but I could see why the oilers were a little pissed off at the chippiness of a young rookie hitting someone like Draisaitl

I loved it!!! Lockwood did such a good job getting the top line off their game last night, they were chasing him around all night after that lol. We have needed this kind of player on our team for a while. We haven't had it since Burrows in my opinion. I mean guys have tried since Burr but no one has replaced that top end "getting under the skin" of your opponents since him. 

The kid is a keeper

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

18 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Initial reports on Zack K:

Awesome .

Kass is as tough as they come and funny.

I remember him getting Sestito's skate boot to the face. He said something like ' Tom's feet are big, it was like getting hit in the face by a Smart Car'

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I'm starting to think this is actually who Gadjovich was competing against to make the roster. Net front presence guy who can score greasy goals. MacEwan isn't really that but Chaisson is.

If you compare Chaisson against Gadj, I do think Chaisson has won the spot over him. I hate to say it, I absolutely loved watching Gadjovich on the farm, but i've watched so many other prospects like him become stars in the AHL only to fall short in the NHL. They come, they go. I try not to get too torn about it.

Gadj really improved his skating over the summer and I thought he looked ok in the preseason games, but he is still having issues away from the puck and that won't fly with Travis Greens fast paced system. 

Chaisson looked pretty good all night with Petey, he's a big body that can protect the puck well and keep up with the offensive pace of the game. 

Once our final cuts are made i'm sure we'll see the announcement that we have signed him to a 1 year deal. I do think he's earned it.

So opening night roster gonna be like...

Chaisson EP Boeser

Pearson Bo Hogs

Garland Miller Podz

Lockwood Dickerson Bailey

McKwean 

OEL Meyers

QH Poolman 

Rathbone Schenn

OJ Bowey

Demko

Halak

Haven't been paying attention to the 4th liners much.  So not sure.