The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sharks claim Jonah Gadjovich off waivers

32 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I honestly never saw Corrado as a top 4.

Not wanting to dis the guy. Just never thought of him as a difference maker. 

What I think I saw in Gadj was a potential 10-15 4th liner that could stick up for his team mates. 

I think two truths can be held here

1) being upset that the Canucks mismanaged the asset of Gadjovich because he was developing well.

and

2) this move largely won't hurt the team moving forward

I do agree though there was potential down the line to see what he could've offered to us.

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

2 hours ago, ZH96 said:

San Jose has a TON of young forwards battling all the time. Very likely they could waive Gadjovich and we claim him back later on.

Actually San Jose was pretty high up in the waiver order... any other teams that put a claim on him have first crack at taking him before we could get him back.

I don't mind having waived him if they really thought it was necessary... why not wait until the logjam at the end of training camp when there are a bunch of decent players being snuck through.  He looked really good on the list of trash that was waived yesterday.

I don't know that we have better players than him or someone with that skillset considering we will have Motte and Sutter out to start the season at the very least.

4 minutes ago, J-23 said:

I don’t know who’s decision this was but some players don’t stand a chance with Green. Should have seen more from Gadj in pre-season, maybe even some time on the PP or top line. 

Liked what I saw from him. Team asked him to improve his skating and he did. Also always seems to be around the net. Could have looked good in our top 9 if everything went according to plan.

Green's a stubborn sob

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I'm not fishing here

Did you actually watch him critically in the 2 games that he played this year?

Was his systems play worse than all of the following Dries, Focht, Dowling, Petan, Lockwood, Chiasson, Highmore?

If so, then I would have to defer to what you saw (because i wasn't paying close attention)

I didn't notice anything glaring when I was watching that jumped out at me to say he's not ready.

For example, I really like JR, but there were some plays where I could see he wasn't ready

For me Gadj didn't really stick out at all except on the scoresheet in a positive way and what more could you want from a bottom 6 guy than that?

nope, I defer to the highly experienced professionals whose continued livelihoods depend on making the right judgment calls for the better of the team, and who have the benefit of knowing specifically what instructions and guidance are being given and whether or not the concepts are being grasped and followrd, and also getting to see firsthand things like fitness, work ethic, etc, etc.

anybody here thinking they have a clue in the slightest, let alone thinking they know better than coaches and management, are quite simply hubristic morons. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

Just now, Maddogy said:

To be fair Alf, Zack MacEwen looked even worse than Gadjovich. MacEwen should have been waived instead. 

I don't disagree, but (without the puck) in the D Zone Mac is quicker to pucks, and in his one on one D coverage.  I think in the system we are now playing Gads is just kind of slow to be useful.  He get beat a lot man on man.  

Just now, tas said:

nope, I defer to the highly experienced professionals whose continued livelihoods depend on making the right judgment calls for the better of the team, and who have the benefit of knowing specifically what instructions and guidance are being given and whether or not the concepts are being grasped and followrd, and also getting to see firsthand things like fitness, work ethic, etc, etc.

anybody here thinking they have a clue in the slightest, let alone thinking they know better than coaches and management, are quite simply hubristic morons. 

I certainly know what a moron is, but (to be honest) I had to Google "hubristic".  Good word.  I will forget it now.  :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

Actually San Jose was pretty high up in the waiver order... any other teams that put a claim on him have first crack at taking him before we could get him back.

I don't mind having waived him if they really thought it was necessary... why not wait until the logjam at the end of training camp when there are a bunch of decent players being snuck through.  He looked really good on the list of trash that was waived yesterday.

I don't know that we have better players than him or someone with that skillset considering we will have Motte and Sutter out to start the season at the very least.

But at that point those teams that put a claim in as well will have set rosters. Gadjovich will be back. Benning and Green were not done working with him and sent him to Abbotsford for his own good and development to be better in the long run. He’s only 22. Let’s all just be patient and wait because the same way Kole Lind was waived by Seattle; Gadjovich will be by San Jose with all their young forward depth. Unlike Lind though.. Benning and Green will want to claim Gadjovich back.

2 minutes ago, tas said:

Just a dumb take. 

"oh he gets paid to do it, he must be right"

So many poor decisions made by the team in the last 8 years, that people knew were bad and the time and now in hindsight look even worse. 

just off the top of my head,

Toffilo, Tanev, Stetcher

Virtanen 

Big overpaid contracts for bottom 6

Gagner/ spooner

Forsling

Now another prospect thrown away.

Lets not pretend this management team is genius and the results definitely favor the opposite. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

4 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

No, I mean bringing someone in via free agency like we did with Beagle and Roussel. 

Well Motte is going to be a UFA so Benning will have to make a decision on him.  He will probably get over $2 million on the open market.  With Sutter probably gone next summer we will need a 4C for sure.  

1 hour ago, tas said:

they knew he WASN'T good enough. goals and points in preseason mean virtually nothing. it's all about systems play, the process and details. 

You're right. Green is a flawless coach with perfect talent assessment. Absolutely no possible way he incorrectly assessed this player. Not a chance. /s

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

But at that point those teams that put a claim in as well will have set rosters. Gadjovich will be back. Benning and Green were not done working with him and sent him to Abbotsford for his own good and development to be better in the long run. He’s only 22. Let’s all just be patient and wait because the same way Kole Lind was waived by Seattle; Gadjovich will be by San Jose with all their young forward depth. Unlike Lind though.. Benning and Green will want to claim Gadjovich back.

So if they claim him, they need to keep him in the NHL or waive him again

Not sure why they would do what they did then/

Waive him near end of roster size limits when teams are set would have been a better option, if you wanted to keep him and put him on your minor team