The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sharks claim Jonah Gadjovich off waivers

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Green has a very narrow view of young players being capable of learning how to PK. I am not surprised at all that a 27+ player would get more rope despite the same experience level on the PK as the 22 y/o.

Gadj has had a few preseason goals, but green thinks he sucks because he can't PK.

Rathbone plays very little PK, but is allowed giveaways and inexperienced defensive lapses, but shoves Juolevi with the crap sandwich of PKing.

A night and day of a difference.

• Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 2

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Dowling, Petan, Lockwood, Di Giuseppe, and Gadjovich were all (to varying degrees) better than the rest IMO.

I had Lockwood DiGiuseppi and Gadj as the top 3 performers at camp.

But the fact that there was like  7-8 guys in front of Gadj doesn't make sense to me.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, GarthButcher5 said:

McEwen played like a tool in preseason and we suffered through a bunch of other AHL plugs but Gadjo looked interesting and engaged and now he is gone.

I think this will come around to bite the Canucks in the arse one day.

It's kind of sad. Maybe Player Name was simply a victim of Green's poor treatment

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Dowling, Petan, Lockwood, Di Giuseppe, and Gadjovich were all (to varying degrees) better than the rest IMO.

Gads was actually horrid without the puck, while playing defensively. He was good on pucks and okay while we had possession.  But he definitely struggled a lot when we didn't have possession, especially in our own zone.  He has a very slow first couple steps, and that's a killer defensively.  Nice guy though, and lots of character.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, GarthButcher5 said:

McEwen played like a tool in preseason and we suffered through a bunch of other AHL plugs but Gadjo looked interesting and engaged and now he is gone.

I think this will come around to bite the Canucks in the arse one day.

Gadz would have been more useful  in a Canucks lineup with skill than he will be in SJS

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Bailey is a 26 year old plug who can't make an NHL roster.  How do you know he is stronger than Gadjovich?  Have you seen them together in the weight room?  When was the last time Bailey had a fight?  Who cares if he can fly around the ice, when was the last time he scored a goal in the NHL?

I dont want to downplay Bailey either.

I actually liked him in the limited times Ive seen him previously.

I think he is definitely one of the top guys here who are trying to win a job.

I had more of a problem with all the other guys not named Lockwood or DiGiuseppi that are still here over Gadj

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Gads was actually horrid without the puck, while playing defensively. He was good on pucks and okay while we had possession.  But he definitely struggled a lot when we didn't have possession, especially in our own zone.  He has a very slow first couple steps, and that's a killer defensively.  Nice guy though, and lots of character.  

Interesting take.

Did you feel the same way before he was put on waivers and claimed?

Like when you saw him in the 2 Cgy games, did you think he was done?  Because that seems to be when the decision was made as he wasn't given any mroe games after that

Wishing Gadjovich the very best.  

I'm not sure I agree with management/coaching's decision on this as JG had a fairly strong camp.  

I'd be interested to know their thought process.

p.s.____________________One guy that I've been VERY high on for quite some time is Justin Bailey.  I hope gets his shot this season and proves me right.  Absolutely love his speed, physicality, and grit.

Like others have said, there's no possible way that Green risks losing Juolevi now, although, regardless of how anyone feels about the battle for that last spot on the blueline, having the final decision be based on not wanting to have too much egg on your face after already losing a promising player for  nothing is a pretty crap reason to make a roster decision.

Anyways, if Green was still high on having Rathbone in the spot over Juolevi, Gadj may have been the sacrificial lamb ensuring that Juolevi wins the spot.

• Cheers 1

What's the point of keeping track with draft/development? Certainly no point to pay attn to day 2.

Lousy F***ing news to wake up to.

edit: FTR, I've been questioning Green's intelligence since the bubble-Vegas series. Appears he's not nearrr as smart as he thinks he is.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Very interesting observation and something that I hadn't noticed (although granted, I haven't been able to catch any of the pre-season games thus far).  

That's probably the reason why JG was waived.  

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

I dont want to downplay Bailey either.

I actually liked him in the limited times Ive seen him previously.

I think he is definitely one of the top guys here who are trying to win a job.

I had more of a problem with all the other guys not named Lockwood or DiGiuseppi that are still here over Gadj

Bailey didn't look impressive at all in his 3 games last year in the NHL.  He is a great skater but there is not much else to his game.  He can rack up points in the AHL against inferior competition but at the NHL level he doesn't bring much to the table.  Gadjovich on the other hand is a very good net front presence, can drop the gloves when needed to protect his teammates and is still young enough to improve his overall game at 22.  Bailey is already 26 so what you see is what you are getting.  Di Giuseppe is already 27 but Green thinks he can turn him into a penalty killer.  I guess we will see what happens.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I think at the end of the day, the team will be fine

Gadj is not the answer to the Canucks success.

He will not make or break this team.

It just sucks because we were roting for our homegrown talent who was developing every year to the point he became a pt a game player in the AHL.

What was the pts conversion rate from AHL to NHL?

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Interesting take.

Did you feel the same way before he was put on waivers and claimed?

Like when you saw him in the 2 Cgy games, did you think he was done?  Because that seems to be when the decision was made as he wasn't given any mroe games after that

I posted almost exactly the same thing before. 

"Even if Jonah gets plucked off waivers (I’m hoping he clears) is he a guy who will make a difference between us winning and losing?  I like his size, and toughness, but he struggles (defensively) when he doesn’t have the pick, which is pretty much 98% of his icetime.  Hopefully he clears and can develop his away from the puck game this year and we call him up later.  I think he can be a player, but not just yet."  

Edited by Alflives
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Hindsight perhaps would say that but lots of fans, media, analysts in Vancouver were thinking Corrado at the time could develop potentially into a top 4 option. 

It sucks now to lose Gadjovich, but in the end he isn't going to be the difference maker if this team succeeds or not. But there will be players of Gadjovich's repertoire on waivers all the time. 

I think its fair for fans to be upset with this because of the potential Gadjovich might have, and the sentiment fans have over him, but in large its not the end of the world. Who knows may even get a chance to reclaim him, SJ have a ton of young players trying out in the bottom six.

I honestly never saw Corrado as a top 4.

Not wanting to dis the guy. Just never thought of him as a difference maker. 

What I think I saw in Gadj was a potential 10-15 4th liner that could stick up for his team mates. 

• Cheers 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

10 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I had Lockwood DiGiuseppi and Gadj as the top 3 performers at camp.

But the fact that there was like  7-8 guys in front of Gadj doesn't make sense to me.

I like Lockwood, but aside from running around and hitting everything that moves, he's done next to nothing.  He's still 2 years away, if he makes it at all.  

I don’t know who’s decision this was but some players don’t stand a chance with Green. Should have seen more from Gadj in pre-season, maybe even some time on the PP or top line. 

Liked what I saw from him. Team asked him to improve his skating and he did. Also always seems to be around the net. Could have looked good in our top 9 if everything went according to plan.

• Cheers 2