The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Preseason Oilers @ Canucks / Oct. 9 / 6:00 PM Rogers Arena

Rate this topic

-DLC-

3 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Quinn looks like he hasn't improved his defensive skills at all since last year and might get off to a very quick start as being the worst +/- player in the entire league like last year.  The Canucks better find a Solid babysitter to cover his a$$ on the backkend until he cleans up his defensive play.   

His defense was fine.  It was his offensive zone plays that were a bit iffy.  Although I still think that SH goal should've been a penalty.  He made too many dangerous plays on the blue line, but he came back defensively just fine for them.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Viper007 said:

Like I said in a previous post, Petey looks just a tad off.  He was missing alot of shots that usually hits the net in the corners.  He was trying a little too much.

Him and Hughes are noticeably rusty.  To be expected but we need them to figure it out ASAP

5 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Greens fault for playing all the regulars just now, instead of playing them 3 to 4 games ago. You dont need to have Petan start 10 games in a row to see what you have. It was obvious the team didnt play together or have their lines set. As soon as Miller went to top line with extra attacker on, they score. Miller plays best with Pettersson so now am not sure playing him center would be that great. Probably its best to have Dickenson on 3rd line and Dowling on 4th line until Sutter is back. Too bad we only saw an adjustment the last period and another game or 2 would have been good to fine tune the lines and get more practice in. Green's big mistake was icing a 90% AHL lineup every preseason game just to find who can play on 4th line. This was not critical for this team as we needed to see how our new guys like dickenson and Garland would play and gel with all our regulars and which line worked best. Now Green has to experiment in regular season when points are on the line.

I agree with this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Greens fault for playing all the regulars just now, instead of playing them 3 to 4 games ago. You dont need to have Petan start 10 games in a row to see what you have. It was obvious the team didnt play together or have their lines set. As soon as Miller went to top line with extra attacker on, they score. Miller plays best with Pettersson so now am not sure playing him center would be that great. Probably its best to have Dickenson on 3rd line and Dowling on 4th line until Sutter is back. Too bad we only saw an adjustment the last period and another game or 2 would have been good to fine tune the lines and get more practice in. Green's big mistake was icing a 90% AHL lineup every preseason game just to find who can play on 4th line. This was not critical for this team as we needed to see how our new guys like dickenson and Garland would play and gel with all our regulars and which line worked best. Now Green has to experiment in regular season when points are on the line.

Yep.

I blame Green for not getting the lines (mostly) set.  It takes a bit of time for new players to gel together.  And Vancouver always get getting a crap schedule, they need to get points early as possible. 

Maybe loading up the top 2 lines is the way to go.  Really wanted 3 scoring lines though. 

And need Hamonic back asap and get that RHD depth.  QH needs a defensive D partner to cover up his gaffes.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, AV. said:

Damn, the Oilers keep schooling us.

We used to walk these guys in our sleep in the good old days.

Yeah, good old sedin days. Miss those days where we would spank both oilers and flames in their own barn.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Viper007 said:

His defense was fine.  It was his offensive zone plays that were a bit iffy.  Although I still think that SH goal should've been a penalty.  He made too many dangerous plays on the blue line, but he came back defensively just fine for them.

Really???  I counted five plays where he coughed up and miss played the puck.  But you are somewhat correct that his biggest weakness is his offensive zone play getting caught up ice and mis-handling the puck, that's why he was the 7th worst +/- player out of all 913 players in the entire National Hockey League last year. and I predict he'll be even worse this year unless someone teaches him how to play defense FIRST !  

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Ditto, practice is where all these questions should be sorted out but sadly your last sentence will be confirmed in a few days - Demko better be ready to play.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tas said:

I don't think there's a spot for either in the lineup. 

Ok so we are in agreeance about questioning Chiasson in the lineup tonight. 

How about Highmore? What has he done? 

How about Dowling? How about Petan? 

How about Schenn? 

Rathbone would have been a 7D for me but I would have had him in Abbotsford playing big minutes and bring him up every now and then as he is waiver exempt

Edited by CanucksJay

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Demko really needs to be a ton better. Just was awful tonight.

The whole team played like crap.

Coach overplayed Rathbone like he's a top 4 defenseman. OEL had just a shade more ice time, but has directly contributed to goals (even if he doesn't show up on the score sheet).

Rathbone is flash and dash. Lots of potential. But the Canucks need help on the defensive side of the game, which is what Juolevi excels at. Green is a moron.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Like 1