The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Olli Juolevi to Panthers for Juho Lammikko, Noah Juulsen

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Petan isn't an NHLer; neither is Dowling.  I don't care how fast a guy can get to a spot on the ice if he's still useless once he gets there.

I don't disagree.

Just pointing out that Green likes good skaters. That's just the personnel that he needs to implement his system.

Whether that system is good for us or not, well, I don't think so but I hope I'm wrong. I just can't cheer for the Canucks to lose because I don't like the coach. I hope Green is successful here but I have my doubts on him.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Virtanen has no one else to blame but himself.

When you show up to 2 training camps out of shape in a single year your not taking your career seriously.

I'm sure Green wasn't telling him to avoid going to the net, yet he did it anyways.

Green gifted him an undeserved opportunity to start last year on the first line & he did nothing.

The Green blaming does nothing for me on this player, sorry. 

As for Rathbone, it's pre-season. They are testing him while giving OEL an easier night. That won't be the case come regular season. 

No, but that's exactly it. The so-called 'sending a message' strategy with Green is not at all reflective of what you see on the ice, nor off the ice.

Someone like Hughes can have two horrific giveaways but probably won't be disciplined because he's needed on the team. Virtanen may have showed up out of shape, and what not, but he still got a chance to play and showcase himself.

Now with Virtanen, when he doesn't do what you expect him to do, he should be given more punishment - but that didn't happen. Virtanen struggled in the AHL under Green. He also struggled (somewhat) in the NHL. Part of this goes into how Green is teaching his 'kids'.

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

15 pages because we moved a bust for another bust and a 4th liner :lol:

He's only a bust because our incompetent coaching staff wouldn't give him a chance and wants to gift the spot to a defenseman who can't play defense.  We wouldn't need the 4th liner if Green hadn't got rid of the actual NHLers Benning gave him to play the role in favour of useless AHL trash.

Green is causing long-term damage to the team with his refusal to set the lineup properly.  Enough is enough and  both him and the idiot he has running the D need to be fired immediately.

• Cheers 4

6 minutes ago, khay said:

You could say that Green developed Marky... or is it the other way around?

Marky put Green on his back and got him the NHL gig by taking Green to Calder cup appearance and extended his NHL job by taking him to the 3rd round in 2019-20.

Green is totally unproven. I don't like the fact that we are giving him so many opportunities but this will be the last one, let's see how it goes.

This is a dumb statement IMO. So the rest of the team, Petey, Boeser, Bo, Miller, Hughes, etc had nothing to do with the playoff success that year? It was all Marky...

• Wat 1

11 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

He can say anything he wants about this. The proof is in the pudding in how Juolevi was written off in favour of Rathbone, despite Rathbone's less than stellar preseason games. Green is such a hypocrite when it comes to accountability. Rathbone was gifted lots of PP time and minutes, and Juolevi was given the bulk of the PK time. Rathbone also played 18 mins, 2 seconds less than what OEL played, who's clearly a top 4 defenseman. Juolevi had about 14 or 15, if I recall.

Rathbone is good, no doubt about it. But his giveaways and what not should have been held accountable. Nope. JR clearly gets a free pass to 'learn'.

It's obvious that there's favouritism.

He's the coach. It's his job (therefore his right) to make such judgments, and he has infinitely more information and experience to do so than the rest of us. So yes, he can say anything he wants about this but chooses, properly, to say "he's fine" and leave it at that. 

• Haha 1

Just now, frank einstein said:

He's the coach. It's his job (therefore his right) to make such judgments, and he has infinitely more information and experience to do so than the rest of us. So yes, he can say anything he wants about this but chooses, properly, to say "he's fine" and leave it at that. 

He's fine versus the high praise of Rathbone speaks volumes about his bias. That was my point of the post.

Just now, khay said:

I don't disagree.

Just pointing out that Green likes good skaters. That's just the personnel that he needs to implement his system.

Whether that system is good for us or not, well, I don't think so but I hope I'm wrong. I just can't cheer for the Canucks to lose because I don't like the coach. I hope Green is successful here but I have my doubts on him.

Which is why Green is unfit to coach this team, and needs to be replaced with a coach who can be trusted to set the lineup without sabotaging the team.  I've seen enough from that clown to realise that the plug needs to be pulled, and should have been pulled before he was allowed to pull the garbage he's pulled over the last week.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

That’s because he has toughness.
Green hates that. 

I'm on the fence regarding Green.

But, this I agree with.

He seems to get grumpy at dudes that show some snarl. Which is what this team has desperately needed for some time. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Dazzle said:

He's fine versus the high praise of Rathbone speaks volumes about his bias. That was my point of the post.

it speaks volumes about how much more of an impact player rathbone is than juolevi. one is a pro, the other is still a kid.

• Like 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

He's only a bust because our incompetent coaching staff wouldn't give him a chance and wants to gift the spot to a defenseman who can't play defense.  We wouldn't need the 4th liner if Green hadn't got rid of the actual NHLers Benning gave him to play the role in favour of useless AHL trash.

Green is causing long-term damage to the team with his refusal to set the lineup properly.  Enough is enough and  both him and the idiot he has running the D need to be fired immediately.

I don't disagree with letting Baumer and Green walk, but Juolevi didn't have the mobility to be anything more than he was. Tracking his development, his stock seemed to take hits year after year, regardless of whether or not the Canucks staff were involved. If not for the injuries he may have been able to carve out a career as something more, but as of now I just don't see him being anything more than a 6/7. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

Rathbone is mostly making a negative impact in his own zone.

your confirmation bias is showing. 

juolevi is terrified and tentative, thinking too hard to actually move his feet. rathbone plays with confidence, sureness. 

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Benning deserves criticism for keeping Green, especially for as long as he has done. I did support bringing back Green, if in fact the players did want him back. However, given how Green has handled this horrific preseason, I don't think this coach is the right person for the job.

Green is so stubborn. We've seen the same style of play under many iterations of rosters over the years - and the results are usually mediocrity. Our PP was bad, so we got rid of Newell Brown - twice. Looks like he wasn't the problem after all. The one who connects the dots are Willie Desjardins (no longer coaching in the NHL) and Green. These two have been our coaches over the years in recent memory (aside from Torts, also not the right coach for this team). We should've fielded out options for coaches instead of sticking with Green.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, tas said:

it speaks volumes about how much more of an impact player rathbone is than juolevi. one is a pro, the other is still a kid.

I like Rathbone, but I'm not impressed with how he has performed this preseason, especially in his own end and his positioning. He let McDavid pass through unharassed the other day. I'm pretty sure that was Rathbone's assignment.

But oh, he's McDavid so Rathbone gets a free pass? CLEARLY the coach favours him, but if Rathbone is out of position in a job that he's being given high TOI for, I have a problem with that. (Not with the player - the coach).

The Juolevi dream that he could become a great player for the Canucks is over.  Same with Virtanen, same with Gaudette, same with Lind and Gadjovich.  I think what we saw from #48 is what he is and Canucks need something more out of that left d spot in the here and now and this year they don't want to be patient with a player, they want a fully functioning team.   

Change can do a player good.  A different coach and a different system can help a player along.  Could happen for Juolevi, but could also happen for Lammikko and Juulson.  I do like the size component of these players and the potential for some more grit in the Canucks lineup.    

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1