The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Olli Juolevi to Panthers for Juho Lammikko, Noah Juulsen

16 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Is it though?

No one could or wanted to take Lind on waivers and we had to lose someone to Seattle, oh well. He’s not going to be game breaker. Even if he takes another step or two he’ll be a replaceable level player.

Losing Gadj sucks. I feel that was a loss for our team . Not the kind of player that grows on trees and really wish we could have found a way to keep him. I feel he’s a couple years away from being a guy who will slot in with the top 6 in the playoffs. But when you hear why it makes sense.

He doesn’t have positional flexibility. He’s not a bottom 6 grinder and hasn’t adapted his game to that level. He’s not quite there yet and he’s not good enough to take a top 6 spot on our team. They took a calculated move and dropped him on waivers thinking he’d slide through. And he didn’t sadly. Bummer.

Juolevi. Sure he’s had injuries but this kid honestly pisses me off. I lost hope with him when his year with salo didn’t go that well. And salo was clearly frustrated with his attitude and work ethic. He kind of rekindled my hope with improved play in the ahl. And he looked good in the gp vs Minnesota before the bubble run. 

last year I was very unsure of him and a little disappointed but our whole team was mostly.

this camp was his final straw with our team and he came in and got dusted in camp. So disappointing.. I understand he was outplayed by Rathbone and Hunt and Schenn and he’s done. 

They all had promise and we were patient with them. 

it’s disappointing ofc but it’s not the end of the world. We will be okay! 

He wasn't outplayed by Rathbone and Hunt; neither of them even approached an acceptable standard of play in their own zone.  Rathbone needs time in the AHL away from Baumer, and Hunt is simply another Larsen/Weber/Bartkowski who will always be a complete liability everywhere he goes.  Only the idiots coaching this team would look at those two and think that they belonged in the NHL.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Is it though?

Yes it does look grim, you are missing the point…. It isn’t that those players we lost are anything special, yet they were all still amongst our very top remaining prospects.

Now that Podkolzin and Rathbone have graduated, we have basically one prospect who actually projects with any near certainty to be an NHLer and that is DiPietro.  Everyone else is likely a long shot.

We had to sign a bunch of veteran

AHLers to make up a farm team as we don’t have prospects left to make up a club.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

He wasn't outplayed by Rathbone and Hunt; neither of them even approached an acceptable standard of play in their own zone.  Rathbone needs time in the AHL away from Baumer, and Hunt is simply another Larsen/Weber/Bartkowski who will always be a complete liability everywhere he goes.  Only the idiots coaching this team would look at those two and think that they belonged in the NHL.

I won’t disagree that I think a year in the AHL maybe could be a better landing spot. But IMO Rathbone showed better in his Regular Season NHL games last year and in preseason it’s hard to judge for us. As guys are missing assignments and playing with different guys constantly.

juolevi though obviously upset the team and staff with his camp performance and his conditioning. And I am personally done with juolevi as well as a fan.

pretty harsh words to call our coaching staff idiots especially since we have Shaw now.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, R3aL said:

I won’t disagree that I think a year in the AHL maybe could be a better landing spot. But IMO Rathbone showed better in his Regular Season NHL games last year and in preseason it’s hard to judge for us. As guys are missing assignments and playing with different guys constantly.

juolevi though obviously upset the team and staff with his camp performance and his conditioning. And I am personally done with juolevi as well as a fan.

pretty harsh words to call our coaching staff idiots especially since we have Shaw now.

Shaw's fine, but Green and Baumer both lack the intelligence to coach a beer league team.  Hopefully Shaw gets promoted and hires actual assistants.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Wat 2

2 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

On a related note, I find it very funny that some are crying that we should have taken Tkapuke, over Juolevi,

when the very same posters were dead against signing Tony DeAngelo for league minimum, which Carolina did.

Talent over Character when it suits you, but Character over Talent when it doesn't.

As many posters have pointed out over the years, not all picks turn out..........a fact of life!

Again, Good luck Olli, I hope all your injuries are behind you.

Just because Tkachuk is an a hole on the ice doesn't mean he is one with the team. 

After this trade and luxury of hindsight anyone who doesn't regret the draft is in complete denial

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, hammertime said:

pipe is officially looking grim with the losses of Gadjo, Juolevi and Lind.

No pressure Podkolzin, Woo, Danila,

Ya know, the more I think about this the more I start to believe we’re actually in a favourable position. All of our top solid prospects are playing with the club already (Podz, Hogz and Boner) which is ideal. If Podz or Boner are sent to the farm then so be it. At least they’ll have had a good taste of the NHL game which should provide even more drive to return. 

We’re just about to restock the farm with fresh blood over the next couple years and have now assessed and purged a few guys who had potential but are also potentially in the way of the “next gen” of prospects. 

The cupboard has been emptied a bit but being restocked with Klimovich, who will now get decent ice time and a real chance to excel, is a boon. Plus another year of Woo. It’s not all that bad.

This is the kind of problem I like having as a Nux fan. Sometimes you just have to start fresh. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Shaw's mfine, but Green and Baumer both lack the intelligence to coach a beer league team.  Hopefully Shaw gets promoted and hires actual assistants.

That’s a bit ridiculous mate. Get it your not a fan. But common.

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Gadjovich's skating has been and still is a major concern. I predict that he won't become a NHL regular because of his skating. It's beyond me how Canucks drafted a player like Gadjovich in the second round of the NHL entry draft, with this poor skating abilities.

Nevertheless there are still some Canucks fans who believe Jim Benning has a tremendous draft record.

From Elite Prospects in his draft year:

A feisty two-way winger that uses his size and speed to open up space for himself and teammates. Understands both sides of the puck well, and skates hard up and down the ice. Positionally sound and reads plays well. While not always the fastest player on the ice, his skating ability is noteworthy and he can catch the opposition off-guard on the rush. Not afraid to get into the mix, and will get under the skin of opponents. Definitely a team-first player that will find a way to make an impact for his line with each shift. (Curtis Joe, EP 2017) 

Also his last two years with Owen Sound: 60 games 74 points, 42 games 48 points.

And by the way he is only 22 years old, 6’2”, 209 lbs. and will stand up for his teammates.

I had no issues with that pick. I thought he showed well at camp in the few opportunities  he was given and was skating very well after doing extra work with a skating coach in the off-season, just has he was advised to do.

This team looks like it will be softer than baby poo, yet again.  :(

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Ya know, the more I think about this the more I start to believe we’re actually in a favourable position. All of our top solid prospects are playing with the club already (Podz, Hogz and Boner) which is ideal. If Podz or Boner are sent to the farm then so be it. At least they’ll have had a good taste of the NHL game which should provide even more drive to return. 

We’re just about to restock the farm with fresh blood over the next couple years and have now assessed and purged a few guys who had potential but are also potentially in the way of the “next gen” of prospects. 

The cupboard has been emptied a bit but being restocked with Klimovich, who will now get decent ice time and a real chance to excel, is a boon. Plus another year of Woo. It’s not all that bad.

This is the kind of problem I like having as a Nux fan. Sometimes you just have to start fresh. 

Add to this, I don't think you can underestimate just how important to development having the farm team a short drive away is going to make.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Just because Tkachuk is an a hole on the ice doesn't mean he is one with the team. 

After this trade and luxury of hindsight anyone who doesn't regret the draft is in complete denial

Jay you are right on your first point....................

On the second point.........that is exactly the point. If I remember correctly, at the end of the year, again, if I remember correctly, everyone was on Benning to start drafting Dmen.

CDC the most of all. Juolevi was highly touted, but Sergachev was ranked 5 or 6 spots behind him. At the time, I believe the discussion around here was a 3 way argument about Sergachev vs Juolevi vs Tkachuk, there were great arguments, pros and cons, for all 3. However, with hindsight, and a couple of years, Tkachuk has proven to be the best.

I totally get, the argument about taking Tkachuk, but take the injuries and lack of development away from Juolevi, and maybe....just maybe, the discussion is closer. We will never know, and Juolevi has a long way to go, if ever, to catch the likes of Tkachuk and to a lesser extent Sergachev, so it becomes a mute point, and a worthless, repetitive point.

We all, know the truth now, there is absolutely no one that would argue who is better now. And taking away hindsight, well Juolevi was still very highly ranked, so at the time, it was a educated guess by a professional manager of a NHL club, who has a lot more information and training than you or I.

The horse has been beaten...........it is dead, lets bury it and move on!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Lots of underrated guys coming up too.

I think Mcdonough, Costmar, Persson, Lockhart, and Forsell look like great late picks.

Our pool definitely lacks high profile prospects but I definitely see alot of good looking picks in the 5th round later coming up. If Benning can find gems there the loss of those 1sts and 2nds can be overcome.

And don't forget that Russian center..........FFFF something (Zlodeyev)

3 hours ago, Dazzle said:

It's kinda funny. Green jettisoned a few of the people who got a goal or assist during our DREADFUL preseason.

No, we weren't outscoring teams. The players that generated some points were: Gadj, Juolevi (minor assist), and Di Giuseppe. Who did we keep? Petan - former Green player in the WHL. :rolleyes: I must say though, Petan is decent. However, the problem isn't with Petan; it's with Green and him going back to his favourite players

Who made Green's team?

0 points, 1 fight/KO Macewen - he's obviously poorly utilized by Green.

Highmore, who I don't entirely dislike, but he was basically a nonfactor for a few of the games he's played.

Rathbone = promising but underwhelming preseason, aside from 1 breakaway goal from the box and 1 penalty shot, did he do anything else?

Chiasson = hustling, but generally not doing much aside from last game.

How many penalties did we take? A lot.

Who was killing most of the penalties. Juolevi.

Green just doesn't have a clue.

Funny question.  I think Green did,  for the most part.   He probably tells Benning the kind of players that work well in his system and we already have a few players that have played for Green before.  I’m sure that played a factor in Benning’s decisions as well.  

as far as killing penalties, if you’re relying on OJ to kill your penalties then you’re probably going to have a crap PK, just saying. What was out PK % with OJ anyway?

Like I said before people see what they want to see.  

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Totally agree.

Rathbone (not a proven top 6 defenseman) was given 2 seconds less of TOI last night compared to OEL (a proven top 4).

It's clear that there's favouritism under Green. If players can get a fair shake with the tough love approach, I'm for it. It's problematic when you hold different standards for different players.

IMHO, part of Virtanen's poor development should fall on Green. He coached him in the AHL and in the Canucks. There's no way he should escape responsbility, even though Virtanen has himself to blame for his exodus in the NHL.

It was preseason not the bloody playoffs. its meant to evaluate the talent you have in the pipes as well as a warm up for the vets. they obviously wanted a real good look at what the guy has to offer and get him into as many situations for him to know what to expect if he is to make the team now or in the future. Why TF would you want to burn out your vets in the preseason by giving them all the minutes?

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, bubba6 said:

It was preseason not the bloody playoffs. its meant to evaluate the talent you have in the pipes as well as a warm up for the vets. they obviously wanted a real good look at what the guy has to offer and get him into as many situations for him to know what to expect if he is to make the team now or in the future. Why TF would you want to burn out your vets in the preseason by giving them all the minutes?

That totally explains why the minutes were so 'well distributed' then, right?

:rolleyes:

image.png.70d09017d156e976bbdf1c6582855356.png

A whopping 25 mins for Quinn Hughes, and 20 mins for OEL and Myers. Rathbone with 18 minutes and 52 seconds. Even more than Mr. Poolman.

You're totally right. It's just the preseason. Rathbone's only going to play 12 mins like a normal 6/7 d right? :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, King Heffy said:

He's only a bust because our incompetent coaching staff wouldn't give him a chance and wants to gift the spot to a defenseman who can't play defense.  We wouldn't need the 4th liner if Green hadn't got rid of the actual NHLers Benning gave him to play the role in favour of useless AHL trash.

Green is causing long-term damage to the team with his refusal to set the lineup properly.  Enough is enough and  both him and the idiot he has running the D need to be fired immediately.

Here’s a quarter to call a wambulance. 

Edited by spur1
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, VforVasili said:

I like how quickly folks forget that the reason Juolevi didn’t pan out had a lot to do with serious injuries that derailed his development. It is easy to discount hat and say it was a bad pick with the advantage of hindsight. 

Was hoping he could get back on track but there weren’t a lot of options left other than to trade him. He would not have cleared waivers. 

Got some projects in return of roughly equivalent value. Happy enough with that. 

I think the only option should have been to play him on 3rd pairing with Rathbone if you really had to have Rathbone in the line up this year. 

I think he is better than Schenn. 

Ppl talk about his bad pivot. How about Schenn? 

His bad pivot led to a turnover last game resulting in a goal. 

I don't think that would have happened with Juolevi. 

He is a smoother skater than Schenn by far. 

Knowing hammer is out now, I would have gone with Juolevi, Rathbone and Bowey and limited their ice time. 

That puts more stress on poolman but he's paired with Hughes anyway so he would have seen more ice time regardless because hammer is not here

• Cheers 2