The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Noah Juulsen | D

-AJ-

1 minute ago, wildcam said:

Can't wait until Vancouver sign Juulsen 26, 6'2 - 200 lbs RD stay at home guy...

To be honest I don’t think we sign this guy. Woo is younger and a lot better. Meaner and healthier. It’s bye bye to Juulsson. 

58 minutes ago, Alflives said:

To be honest I don’t think we sign this guy. Woo is younger and a lot better. Meaner and healthier. It’s bye bye to Juulsson. 

I am a bit surprised that he has not been signed yet. Both he and Woo should be vying for the bottom pairing RD. Of note; neither are waiver exempt, so it is make it or break it time IMO.

30 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I am a bit surprised that he has not been signed yet. Both he and Woo should be vying for the bottom pairing RD. Of note; neither are waiver exempt, so it is make it or break it time IMO.

Not signing Juulsen OR Burroughs is a bit of a head scratcher as they’ve both put in decent minutes with the club.  

Not just saying that because I like the local boys - they’re a couple of tough customers who can fill that 4RD spot nicely if nothing else.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

19 hours ago, Alflives said:

Playing with Hughes, it was hard to tell just how good Juulsen was - playing with Hughes is like Pixie dust - it magically makes you look better than you are. Still, when playing with Hughes he was quite effective - decent size, decent skater, pretty physical, decent puck handler, didn't get caught out of position, knew his role - I'm not sure that a better player would be that much more effective with Hughes - so long as you can deliver the puck to Hughes your zone escapes will be 100 % easier.  The other effect that Schenn brought to playing with Hughes was his role as guardian angel - he was very good (and probably still is) at pest control. I would not at all be averse to seeing Schenn back here again - especially with Hronek and Bear hurt on the right side. 

I really like Woo, and how much he improved with the great coaching support in Abby in the past season, but I think he needs a year of coming in as an injury replacement for short stays to get acclimatized to the NHL in a protected situation. Like Burroughs, Woo can also play either side. I'm not sure he's ready, yet, for a full time role. His confidence has been restored in the past season, and I'd like to see him retain it - not sure that throwing him to the wolves would help that. Watching Johansson in Abby at the end of last season, he looked pretty sound, but he too might need a couple of months of acclimatization. I like Burroughs, he is a guy that is all heart, he'll do anything to help you win, but I'm not sure that he is a full time NHLer... yet! But a seven or eight role would not be a bad thing. And, if you play against a team that likes to get rambunctious with the talent, he is the kind of guy that can help to keep them healthy - and being able to play either side helps in that utility role.

On 6/18/2023 at 8:00 PM, Alflives said:

I don't think Woo is better then Juulsen at this point? Woo never played NHL games last season? Juulsen played 12 NHL game and then got injured.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RayCathode said:

Playing with Hughes, it was hard to tell just how good Juulsen was - playing with Hughes is like Pixie dust - it magically makes you look better than you are. Still, when playing with Hughes he was quite effective - decent size, decent skater, pretty physical, decent puck handler, didn't get caught out of position, knew his role - I'm not sure that a better player would be that much more effective with Hughes - so long as you can deliver the puck to Hughes your zone escapes will be 100 % easier.  The other effect that Schenn brought to playing with Hughes was his role as guardian angel - he was very good (and probably still is) at pest control. I would not at all be averse to seeing Schenn back here again - especially with Hronek and Bear hurt on the right side. 

I really like Woo, and how much he improved with the great coaching support in Abby in the past season, but I think he needs a year of coming in as an injury replacement for short stays to get acclimatized to the NHL in a protected situation. Like Burroughs, Woo can also play either side. I'm not sure he's ready, yet, for a full time role. His confidence has been restored in the past season, and I'd like to see him retain it - not sure that throwing him to the wolves would help that. Watching Johansson in Abby at the end of last season, he looked pretty sound, but he too might need a couple of months of acclimatization. I like Burroughs, he is a guy that is all heart, he'll do anything to help you win, but I'm not sure that he is a full time NHLer... yet! But a seven or eight role would not be a bad thing. And, if you play against a team that likes to get rambunctious with the talent, he is the kind of guy that can help to keep them healthy - and being able to play either side helps in that utility role.

Woo played great last season.Remember  previous season he dressed as forward in there 3 playoff games..

This past season Woo really improved and showed. Lets hope he improves this season and gets in 8-10 NHL games..

Liked watching Woo in WHL very gritty stay at home D man and RH shot.

On 6/18/2023 at 8:33 PM, ilduce39 said:

Not signing Juulsen OR Burroughs is a bit of a head scratcher as they’ve both put in decent minutes with the club.  

Not just saying that because I like the local boys - they’re a couple of tough customers who can fill that 4RD spot nicely if nothing else.

At this point the Canucks have made an offer to Burroughs and have been negotiating with Juulsen's agent, which means they have likely at least put an informal offer on the table even if no formal offer has been made.

But it would not surprise me if both guys (or the agents) want to wait until the UFA period starts to see if there is interest from other teams. They probably figure that the Canuck offers won't go away immediately.

Of course, I understand that both guys like it here so they might prefer to eliminate uncertainty by signing now but my guess is that there agents are telling them to wait.

Neither guy is likely to get more than the NHL minimum, but maybe they are holding out for term (maybe 2 years instead of 1).

I assume the Canucks would offer Juulsen and Burroughs the same kind of deal Brisebois and PDG got - NHL min but high end AHL salary.

IMHO, both guys deserve another shot at NHL minutes, even in a depth role. 

With Johansson and McWard joining Woo in Abby next season, it will be interesting to see how this all works out. Abby doesn't really need another RHD and adding one would bump Johansson and/or McWard down a level. Competition is good, but playing time is a finite resource.

I wouldn't mind either Juulsen or Burroughs as a 2nd spare D with the Canucks. Personally I lean more towards Juulsen as I think his size and play style compliment the core D better. That being said, Juulsen has had problems staying healthy over this career - it's probably what's really held him back from what was a promising NHL career.

On 6/23/2023 at 6:45 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Woo will become waivers-eligible this offseason.  There's a risk (albeit uncertain) that he might get plucked off waivers if we try to send him there during the pre-season/to start the season, so no guarantees that he'll make it to Abby.

Rathbone will have  clear waivers to be sent down this season? 

I don't think Rathbone fit Canucks plans??

1.Hughes 2. Hroneck 3.____ 4. Myers. 5. _____ 6.._____   Wolanin 28 LD -- Brisebois 26 LD --Hirose 24 LD  -- Rathbone 23 LD --   (((((Burroughs 27 LD NOT SIGNED

RD -- Johanssen 23.  -- Woo 23 RD -- McWard 22 -6'2 RD ----- (((( Juulsen 6'2 RD- NOT SIGNED

• 2 weeks later...