The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 13, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I wouldn't set your hair on fire just yet. One benefit of the approach is Hog's was utilized all over the place last night and created some great chances, if he's just stuck with Bo's line e.g., maybe he see's fewer chances?

what line would you see him on? does he bump Brock to the 3rd line? not likely. Was he really better than Garland? too soon for this kind of panic imo.

Panic?

Like I always say, half the things y'all come @ me for do not even exist, where am I panicking?

The other guy above said I claimed our bottom 6 was a "problem", where did I say that?

Just saying that, IMO, that was a very winnable game with better coaching and assuming we're a bubble team, every point matters.

I'd personally stack our top-6 and just hope the bottom 6 treads water in a more defensive role. Not because it's ideal, but because it's what we have to work with:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Hoglander - Horvat - Garland

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Ya it definitely doesn’t make sense when you are trailing in a game or on the PP to put out a creative offensive player just because he is a rookie.

People that don’t understand that the coach putting plugs out because they are (supposedly) safe is one reason this team constantly underachieves.

How many goals or points did he get in pre season? Remind me. 

44 minutes ago, Canuck Luck said:

While I understand your sentiment, the multi national billion dollar companies won't care if they get your $5.00.  :lol:

We're their bosses.

With out the fans teams are nothing. Without consumers corporations are nothing. 

I get your point though. Let's keep bending over en masse 

Edit: You think TD would only get $5 out of me if I decided to say transfer my mortgage to them?....:lol:

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

I wouldn't set your hair on fire just yet. One benefit of the approach is Hog's was utilized all over the place last night and created some great chances, if he's just stuck with Bo's line e.g., maybe he see's fewer chances?

what line would you see him on? does he bump Brock to the 3rd line? not likely. Was he really better than Garland? too soon for this kind of panic imo.

It must be surreal for guys like OEL and Garland or Dickinson to come to a market where before the first game of the season fans are calling for the coach who has just signed a new two year deal to be fired. After game one people are arguing about who plays on which line or what raw rookie only played seven minutes. I mean it’s great that we care but talk about a fan base that lights it’s own hair on fire. I’m sure players must have a love/hate relationship for playing in Vancouver. 

…and yes I realize that caring too much is far better than not caring at all.

• Vintage 2

I don't know about ya'll, but my TV gets this weird filtered effect with twinkly lights and cute animated baby animals whenever Huggy Bear is on the ice.

In all seriousness, even a routine play for Quinn Hughes is a treat to watch for me. Sure, I'd prefer he were tougher and better defensively, but his mixture of puck skills and generational-tier skating is what ice hockey is all about.

The guy is just on a different level than other guys on the ice.

I thought Poolman was great last night as well. Good size, decent speed, takes the body, can handle the puck, nice little shot.

Has our Pro-scouting group finally hit on somebody? I mean, right shot bigger body that had some offensive awareness in College... would be massive for this organization if he develops into a bonafide top 4 NHL Dman.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

I never said they are a problem.

And just because he played well in the role he was in, doesn't mean he wouldn't play well or better in an expanded role.

There's a reason why, typically, teams deploy their best players with their other best players and play them more minutes than their lesser players.

Again, nothing I'm saying here is exactly out of the ordinary.

No one saying it out of the ordinary, but you are being narrow minded here. Its one game. Green thought Hoglander was the player to bring energy to any line. Not sure why you are freaky out over nothing. You are acting like Hoglander was the best player for 80 games and still be used in the same way. One game deployment and it worked, regardless of the loss. 

Edited by vancan2233
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, vancan2233 said:

No one saying it out of the ordinary, but you are being narrow minded here. Its one game. Green thought Hoglander was the player to bring energy to any line. Not sure why you are freaky out over nothing. You are acting like Hoglander was the best player for 80 games and still be used in the same way. One game deployment and it worked, regardless of the loss. 

Not freaking out, but every game matters.

And this isn't a one game thing with Green - not exactly sure what he's shown so far in his time here that suggests he's truly capable. It's been mostly terrible team play whilst hoping for goaltending to bail him out.

4 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

It must be surreal for guys like OEL and Garland or Dickinson to come to a market where before the first game of the season fans are calling for the coach who has just signed a new two year deal to be fired. After game one people are arguing about who plays on which line or what raw rookie only played seven minutes. I mean it’s great that we care but talk about a fan base that lights it’s own hair on fire. I’m sure players must have a love/hate relationship for playing in Vancouver. 

Sometimes I feel like the fans here care more about how they disagree with how other fans feel rather than caring about how good the team is.

43 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Sure, but we don't have that kind of depth.

Those good teams have too many good players, we don't have that "problem".

My general point is, I don't know how anyone (let alone an NHL coach) can see Hoglander buzzing the way he is and go "yeah, we'll start him in a depth role and sprinkle him around here and there, tweener minutes in general" lol?

Agreed , green is really souring on me lately 

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

How many creative offensive plays and passes did he make? How many board battles did he win?

It’s not all about points, it’s about skill.

Anyone who won't answer the question is someone who knows they are wrong. 

9 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Or maybe people are suffering from the cumulative effect of Green for more than one game? Just a thought.

3 minutes ago, cdgraham said:

Anyone who won't answer the question is someone who knows they are wrong. 

No, it’s someone who actually understands hockey and doesn’t need to look at a stat line on its own to determine player value to a team.

You really should try it. It makes watching hockey way more interesting.

Your how many points argument could apply to lots of players who still got opportunity in the game.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Panic?

Like I always say, half the things y'all come @ me for do not even exist, where am I panicking?

The other guy above said I claimed our bottom 6 was a "problem", where did I say that?

Just saying that, IMO, that was a very winnable game with better coaching and assuming we're a bubble team, every point matters.

I'd personally stack our top-6 and just hope the bottom 6 treads water in a more defensive role. Not because it's ideal, but because it's what we have to work with:

See you do think the bottom six is a problem. 

22 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Panic?

Yeah he is rolling right now, he needs more minutes, currently in preseason and first game Hoglander>Miller.

I would try:

Hoglander - Pettersson - Boeser

Miller - Horvat - Garland

Pearson - Dickinson - Podkolzin

Highmore - Lammikko - Chiasson

Just until Miller gets going.

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Like 1