The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Philadelphia Flyers | Oct. 15, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

28 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Looked like a rough night for the Poolboy. Lol. At least Pod got his first. Excited for his future. Also love hearing the commentator absolutely roast the Canucks defense on the final goal against. I been saying for years this passive style is a good way to turn our defenders into bystanders. May as well get em some seats on the ice with a couple beers. I was hoping Shaw would change that. Now I am starting to wonder if it's just deeply ingrained into the system.

Yeah I also hate that stupid strategy to collapse in front of the net and puck watch. I don't know who came up with this stupid strategy which is only useful if you have slow defensemen who are really adept at blocking shots. Seems like Baumgartner is using what he knows best during his AHL days. We have Rathbone, Hughes, OEL that are all great skaters plus our forwards who are speedy. They should all be aggressive and challenge the puck carrier instead of standing in front of the net. The last Philly goal was a great example of all 5 skaters puck watching while giroux was hidden behind beside the net, ready to pounce on the puck for an easy empty net goal while Demko is looking at the passer. 

2 hours ago, RWJC said:

Thanks friend, much appreciated! :bigblush:

Btw, “accuse” implies you have knowledge of circumstance in order to make a statement against someone/something.

You didn’t, and you don’t. 

The fact that you choose to articulate a certain way also says a lot about how you view yourself against other people. You seem to get into a lot of arguments and then weakly dismiss people as though you’re victorious over them (like your status update implies).

Just a heads up, we both cheer for and support the same team, and that’s a good thing. You shouldn’t be attacking other people who are here for the very same reasons you are. Your opinion isn’t worth anything more or less than anyone else’s. Hopefully you will become aware of that. 

Now you're the one assuming lol.

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

You know they're allowed to practice and work on stuff in practice? Right?

Thats not the same as game situation. I know many teams that had 3 or 4 preseason games, dressing mostly their regulars with maybe a couple of prospects playing. Green had like only a couple of regulars playing in some of the preseason games. Preseason is a chance for the team to practice PK and PP so we would be ready for the regular season.  

1 hour ago, Roberts said:

so true! I think once Boeser returns then the possibilities are endless, but even with him out there are so many options. Hoglander, Podkolzin, and Garland have improved the team so much already.

I think it's only 36 different line combinations. Far from endless. :ph34r:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

You obviously don’t understand the competitive nature almost every hockey player has. Not one of them is content with 7 min per game, especially when their play suggests they could handle more.

Rookies also realize this is how things work sometimes and you realize it's 2 games right? 

Podz doesn't strike me as a diva, quite the opposite. 

Anyone who thinks Podz would actually feel this way after 2 games because that's how they would feel were the kind of rookie teammates that ended up with no eyebrows and tiger balm on their jock strap back in college.

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Rookies also realize this is how things work sometimes and you realize it's 2 games right? 

Podz doesn't strike me as a diva, quite the opposite. 

Anyone who thinks Podz would actually feel this way after 2 games because that's how they would feel were the kind of rookie teammates that ended up with no eyebrows and tiger balm on their jock strap back in college.

Lol ya im sure he is happy to have his first games in the NHL. 

4 hours ago, RWJC said:

Thanks friend, much appreciated! :bigblush:

Btw, “accuse” implies you have knowledge of circumstance in order to make a statement against someone/something.

You didn’t, and you don’t. 

The fact that you choose to articulate a certain way also says a lot about how you view yourself against other people. You seem to get into a lot of arguments and then weakly dismiss people as though you’re victorious over them (like your status update implies).

Just a heads up, we both cheer for and support the same team, and that’s a good thing. You shouldn’t be attacking other people who are here for the very same reasons you are. Your opinion isn’t worth anything more or less than anyone else’s. Hopefully you will become aware of that. 

+10
This bolded part should be pinned...

Not just this ding dong, but for a lot of debates, where several posters on these boards think, their opinions are far more important than others. Not naming anyone or pointing fingers at anyone.............

hope this helps...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

seriously, the all great hail mary is a legend. you coach the players during practise and intermissions. a good coach will coach a player when he's on the bench and in football out coach subbed in players with the plays he wanted runned. Our team played at a relentlessly high pace You ran back to huddles called your play ran back to the line and snapped the ball often on the first hut.

our defence was more basic like greens defence we played zone, your not going to change anything and all of a sudden try to play man to man. so again no timeouts just do our thing that has been drilled into is over and over.

i think its you that hasnt played any sports

I was following this discussion quietly until this. Just as a baseline - I played high level volleyball at a junior level in Ukraine back in a day (U18 Ukraine National team in the 80s). I also coach club volleyball the last 10 years and my team won gold medals at Provincial and National Championships. What you say about the timeouts is ridiculously wrong. There are so many reasons for a timeout during the game that go way beyond “setting up a play”. I can name just a few - calm your players down when they are frustrated; kill the momentum of the opposing team; make adjustments in play based on what you, as a coach, see during the game; give your players a little breather; etc. All your arguments make zero sense. Just because your coach didn’t take timeouts, it doesn’t mean that the timeouts are not needed. It just means that your coach, for whatever reason, didn’t want to take the timeouts (not going to pass judgement on his coaching abilities).

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Silent Man said:

The way he fired that shot; clearly Podkolzin eats his spinach? What a shot! Yes only 7 minutes, but he also got shifts with Petey and Miller?  The rest will come.

LOL, Google translated quote from this article...

Podkolzin must correctly perceive the situation and in no case hang his nose.  :lol:

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Yeah and I also like that OEL is paired with Myers. We actually end up getting more value out of Myers now as he is playing as a top pairing Dman.

QHs is maybe the leagues best rover, like Subban used to be for a couple of years in his early 20's without the hitting etc... OEL is awesome though in a limited sample size, and shows what a true top line defender can do - play against the best in the world 5 x 5 AND out do them the majority of the time, and on both special teams.    OEL Myers might be the most important line to the team this season.     

Having the leagues best rover and one of the league best all around defenseman would be huge for us this year.   Really comes down how both play...so far better then Nurse/Barrie which really is a similar combo.    Myers ive supported since his signing - he's our best RHD and we are also lucky to have him.   Those two guys will pay dividends ... hope we can draft some guys to replace them ... or at least win some more trades/UFA signings when they are up.   But for now just going to keep enjoying having these guys on the team. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Think the whole team has done fine up to this moment. Nobody has been a disaster, so all good.  
Am in particular happy to see OEL and Poolman actually being a lot better that the 4 thousand statements about OEL being a shell of his former self and that Poolman isn't just an overrated AHL player or a no 6 at best... 

Lots of new players, mean it'll take some time for them all to gel, but for now its looking good. 
PS. Thank god Benning stuck with Demko... 

No doubt.   OEL is great, Poolman is fine - maybe not "Tanev 2.0" fine but certainly not a bad signing.    Even Burroughs was better then anticipated game one at least.    So far i'm happy with both games.    I stay away from the GDT during the game (except between periods sometimes) because it's a roller coaster lol - but it's fun to look at too.  Value added with all our pals on the CDC.   Too much Green squashing.  Seems to have got the troops in order both games after periods so who cares about who gets what type of minutes when if the results are there as well. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

QHs is maybe the leagues best rover, like Subban used to be for a couple of years in his early 20's without the hitting etc... OEL is awesome though in a limited sample size, and shows what a true top line defender can do - play against the best in the world 5 x 5 AND out do them the majority of the time, and on both special teams.    OEL Myers might be the most important line to the team this season.     

Having the leagues best rover and one of the league best all around defenseman would be huge for us this year.   Really comes down how both play...so far better then Nurse/Barrie which really is a similar combo.    Myers ive supported since his signing - he's our best RHD and we are also lucky to have him.   Those two guys will pay dividends ... hope we can draft some guys to replace them ... or at least win some more trades/UFA signings when they are up.   But for now just going to keep enjoying having these guys on the team. 

Was actually thinking of you @IBatch, when Myers destroyed Keith...

You've had to fight the good fight in all corners regarding Myers, and you must have been having a wry smile on your face as Keith was sent flying through the air...

Will be talked about for years... sheer magic :rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1