The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Detroit Red Wings | Oct. 16, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I agree. Tonight was a rough game for him.

I also found it strange how our pp struggled to set up more than 5v5

He’s just missing his boes friend.

This is why people don’t give Brock enough credit. He makes that line go.

He not only knows how to get into shooting positions, his shot makes goalies shake in their pads.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

The Redwings announcers did a good job breaking this hit down.  Even they were confused. 

"Midget" isn't at fault here, his elbow's stapled to his side and he just braced for Zadina as he reached for the puck.
A decade ago, Datsyuk popped Shea Weber for getting to close and I bet the Wings fans loved it then, so you can't hate on Garland for the same kind of hit.

Re: the game, full credit to Greiss for stealing the game, his anticipation and lateral acceleration are excellent.  Garland had to roof the puck to put it by him, shows how tough he was to beat.

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Zadina might receive a hefty fine.  He referred to Garland as a “midget” which is considered to be a derogatory slur in the modern era.   

Hopefully, the Canucks and Garland would be within their right to press charges against Zadina but I highly doubt that this would be possible.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 4petesake said:

The thing i hate most about the GI call is that Hoglander is outside the blue and hits the goalie. Hoglander is allowed to skate there and IMO it should be on the goalie to not get hit since hogs isn't even looking. I get he made contact but just rubs me the wrong way. But a rule is a rule I guess no matter how you look at it

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, R3aL said:

As bias as they are they were very fair on this play for sure 

I listened to the Detroit broadcast and they were very enjoyable to listen to.  Very complimentary of our players, showed replayed of Podkolzin's first NHL goal and praised him.  

Also praised Garland and OEL.  

29 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Zadina might receive a hefty fine.  He referred to Garland as a “midget” which is considered to be a derogatory slur in the modern era.   

Hopefully, the Canucks and Garland would be within their right to press charges against Zadina but I highly doubt that this would be possible.

Right , there was even an NHL endorsed commercial featuring PK Subban about inclusion during tonight’s game. A hefty fine indeed and some sensitivity training.

4 hours ago, allegend said:

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but the Canucks only had 5 hits! 

OEL was credited with 2 of them.

To quote Bergevin - 'if you have the puck you don't hit, because if you hit when you have the puck you'll lose the puck.'

In arena tracking is pretty inconsistent as it's done manually - it's subjective and they also don't always have the same definition across arenas.  Hits are among some of the most unreliable stats.  

A hit is normally a deliberate check that successfully separates a player from the puck. 

Reaves who was credited with 316 hits by the Vegas stat keepers in 2019/20 only had 25 by that definition according to Sportlogiq's tracking technology.  Petry had the most that season with 60.   Hard to draw any kind of meaningful conclusion from that stat when the definition of what constitutes a hit is so blurred.

Edited by mll
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

The thing i hate most about the GI call is that Hoglander is outside the blue and hits the goalie. Hoglander is allowed to skate there and IMO it should be on the goalie to not get hit since hogs isn't even looking. I get he made contact but just rubs me the wrong way. But a rule is a rule I guess no matter how you look at it

I have to say in real time I hated the call. After seeing the overhead I looked up the rule and it boils down to the refs judgement of whether Hogs made any reasonable attempt to avoid the contact. I still don’t like it but I will concede that as others pointed out, I would be po’d if that was Bertuzzi hitting Halak and the Wings scored a goal. Reluctantly in the end I concede it was the right call.

The Official NHL Rule Text (Rule 69)

This rule is based on the premise that an attacking player’s position, whether inside or outside the crease, should not, by itself, determine whether a goal should be allowed or disallowed. In other words, goals scored while attacking players are standing in the crease may, in appropriate circumstances be allowed. Goals should be disallowed only if: (1) an attacking player, either by his positioning or by contact, impairs the goalkeeper’s ability to move freely within his crease or defend his goal; or (2) an attacking player initiates intentional or deliberate contact with a goalkeeper, inside or outside of his goal crease. Incidental contact with a goalkeeper will be permitted, and resulting goals allowed, when such contact is initiated outside of the goal crease, provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such contact. The rule will be enforced exclusively in accordance with the on-ice judgment of the Referee(s) but may be subject to a Coach’s Challenge (see Rule 38).

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

I agree. Tonight was a rough game for him.

I also found it strange how our pp struggled to set up more than 5v5

coz our powerplay is super slow generating 0 speed. how often do you see our player fly into the offensive zone backing the defense up? like i thought the reason for the drop past back into our zone on the PP is for generating speed.. but the guy carrying the puck is just slowly coasting up the ice after receiving the puck and usually runs into the wall of defender lining up across the blue line and try to stick handle thru if not dump the puck in.. hard to stick handle and go around the guy if you have 0 speed.. and once we have the puck there's literally 0 movement and we pass the puck around back and forth in slow motion too.. if u watch other team.. their passing is quick and crisp moving the goalie and ppl around.. ours is so slow gives the defense plenty of time to get out there to block the shot/passing lane.. it's like they might as well tell the ref they want to forfeit the powerplay

1 hour ago, Petey40 said:

Oh so you’ve never said anything negative about a player on Canucks? Ever? In your entire life? Get off your high horse dude. We all criticize. 

Criticizing one new comers play because it’s been bad is somehow wrong now? 

Also 2 of the comments you quoted are me defending someone because another poster was attacking his life and character. Again, get a grip and read the context before you reply.

nah, dude. that poster is sick of the negativity where someone doesn't add anything positive to the situation. But if someone is calling you out, maybe you should stop and check yourself. everyone has a voice here, you want to talk about how x player is playing poorly or x coach is just being outcoached that's totally cool and expected. Most people don't this board just to be a sound board of hallelujah's

the words like useless, garbage, idiot are toxic that just breeds negativity, kills peoples vibes and turns otherwise good people into monsters sometimes. so some people here like myself like the negativity to be posted with decency and respect. I too have to work on this, I always do because i care about mental health of everybody here, their like my second family. when we jump on someone its because we care more for our family then one single poster.

you got called out, deal with it anyway you like.

just remember, mod is watching you..

• Cheers 1

People give our media a hard time, but yikes, this is quite the take from a Detroit hockey writer. :picard:

Guy claims Garland “didn’t make an attempt to play the puck.”

Then proceeds to share a video clip that clearly shows Garland playing the puck into the corner, before the hit, and then making a successful pass to a teammate after the hit.

:lol:

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

i hope there is never a time anyone is charged criminally for using a word in a derogatory way, the way social media works these days the backlash is often enough of a punishment.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Umm I believe there was a fan favourite in Detroit who used to throw reverse hits all the time, and he was a lot bigger than Garland.

What a salty little turd. Instead of talking trash go buy your goalie a beer. Only reason you won.

dude admitted he got blown up by a midget :)

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3