The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Pettersson not the same player we expect him to be?

Rate this topic

b3nnyb

Yes Pettersson is overrated. However, look at Nathan Mckinnon's stats for his first 5 seasons. How long did it take him to get 97 points?

Career Stats
Season Team GP G A P +/- PIM PPG PPP SHG SHP GWG OTG S S% FO%
2013-2014 COL 82 24 39 63 20 26 8 17 0 0 5 0 241 9.96 42.92
2014-2015 COL 64 14 24 38 -7 34 3 7 0 0 2 0 192 7.29 46.96
2015-2016 COL 72 21 31 52 -4 20 7 16 0 1 6 0 245 8.57 48.42
2016-2017 COL 82 16 37 53 -14 16 2 14 2 2 4 2 251 6.37 50.56
2017-2018 COL 74 39 58 97 11 55 12 32 0 1 12 3 284 13.73 41.92

Edited by Maddogy

Petterssen is still a great player. He has the skill. What seems to be missing right now is the will and the confidence we have seen previously.

I haven’t really been disappointed with the lack of offense as the whole team looks pretty off. What I have been disappointed with is the lack of compete. He was better last night so hopefully he gets that back. The first few games he gave up on pucks and plays like Miller does when he is bitchy.

I think that putting EP with Horvat and Garland, two high motor guys who never give up on pucks, might be a good experiment. 

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Petey just needs to get up to speed.  Remember he is a young player that missed most of training camp.  And he could not afford to do that.  

Also remember Petey is not Bo.  They are 1A and 1B. Petey is more offensively talented.  Bo is more complete and more north south.  

BB, Hogs and Pods can play with both Petey and Bo.  Pearson only with Bo.  Miller only with Petey.  

Otherwise they go to third line.  They are different.  We need both.  

3 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

Petey just needs to get up to speed.  Remember he is a young player that missed most of training camp.  And he could not afford to do that.  

Also remember Petey is not Bo.  They are 1A and 1B. Petey is more offensively talented.  Bo is more complete and more north south.  

BB, Hogs and Pods can play with both Petey and Bo.  Pearson only with Bo.  Miller only with Petey.  

Otherwise they go to third line.  They are different.  We need both.  

Your last paragraph is exactly the reason this team chronically underachieves. 

Pearson only being able to play with Bo limits Horvat offensively. He should realistically be 3rd line at this point. We won’t see Pearson used properly until Green is fired. 

Bo and Petey together has never really been tried. But it should IMO.

• Like 1

I like to see the positive takes.

But let's be real.  You sit out and COMMAND to be the highest paid forward on this team you better perform as such.

I have faith Petey is going to be an elite player for many years to come. But when hes counted on to he THE guy, he must perform, no ifs, ands or buts.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

On 10/20/2021 at 10:15 PM, wallstreetamigo said:

Add in Miller not being nearly as good with them as he was and it’s time to look at other options.

I would actually like to see what EP would do as a winger with Horvat and Garland.

After last season it will be nice to actually see the team back together full roster for a good amount of time (knock on wood) that way the boys can play and gel. This road trip will get them cohesive and the home swing is going to be some good hockey. (I hope)

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Petterssen is still a great player. He has the skill. What seems to be missing right now is the will and the confidence we have seen previously.

I haven’t really been disappointed with the lack of offense as the whole team looks pretty off. What I have been disappointed with is the lack of compete. He was better last night so hopefully he gets that back. The first few games he gave up on pucks and plays like Miller does when he is bitchy.

I think that putting EP with Horvat and Garland, two high motor guys who never give up on pucks, might be a good experiment. 

His confidence is lower because it is justified. Opponents check him tighter, give him less space. They block his shots and put sticks in passing lanes. PK units and goalies know what he is going to do. He is too slight to get in front of the net to deflect point shots and score garbage goals. He has not gained muscle weight nor speed for his skating. He is the rabbit out of the hat. Every super star go through this phase. A few actually managed to improve their game to surpass the opponents. Look at how McDavid improves each and every year. In terms of growth, Brock Boeser far exceeds Pettersson. Boeser has reinvented himself into a 2 way goal scorer. 

Edited by Maddogy
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

I like to see the positive takes.

But let's be real.  You sit out and COMMAND to be the highest paid forward on this team you better perform as such.

I have faith Petey is going to be an elite player for many years to come. But when hes counted on to he THE guy, he must perform, no ifs, ands or buts.

This right here… 

Elias could have signed for less on a bridge deal, leaving more to resign other players and bring in more talent so the team can win. He would have less load on his shoulders and would have the ability to just focus on playing and getting better and enjoying the game.

Now he has a huge millstone around his neck weighing him down. Which is expectations for him to live up to his commanding of top dollar.

Pettersson needs to be the hardest working, most dedicated player on the ice every night. But is being out worked by guys like Garland, Miller and Horvat, it’s not only showing on the ice but also the stats sheet.

• Cheers 1

I agree, I think the Lotto line was particularly bad last night against CHG - and especially bad in our own zone and on the faceoffs and is in need of adjustment.   They can put the lotto line together for PP's to keep the sentimental fans happy but EP needs a change of linemates.

Your last paragraph is exactly the reason this team chronically underachieves. 

Pearson only being able to play with Bo limits Horvat offensively. He should realistically be 3rd line at this point. We won’t see Pearson used properly until Green is fired. 

Bo and Petey together has never really been tried. But it should IMO.

Well said and many have pointed that out in the past, that the true potential of our players won't be released out of the bottle until Green is terminated later on in the season.

Edited by RU SERIOUS

I feel like that is a big problem on this team.  I knw people love Miller and I do when he decides to play, but I feel like his attitude is a negative force on the team.  I've played with many "millers" in my life, I know what that looks like.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

I feel like that is a big problem on this team.  I knw people love Miller and I do when he decides to play, but I feel like his attitude is a negative force on the team.  I've played with many "millers" in my life, I know what that looks like.

I honestly think Millers attitude comes from the mental torture of knowing he got traded to our bottom of the barrel team, from the team who just won back to back cups without him.

That would be quite the mental weight to carry every day.

I still think Miller should be used as trade bait for a high end Dman 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, CanuckGAME said:

I honestly think Millers attitude comes from the mental torture of knowing he got traded to our bottom of the barrel team, from the team who just won back to back cups without him.

That would be quite the mental weight to carry every day.

I still think Miller should be used as trade bait for a high end Dman 

I think that's just his personality, Kesler was the same.  When things are going good, he's great, but when they aren't he's toxic.

I agree, Miller is first on my trade list at this point

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think that's just his personality, Kesler was the same.  When things are going good, he's great, but when they aren't he's toxic.

I agree, Miller is first on my trade list at this point

Miller is totally a cancer on the team. Wonder why he is given the A

• Wat 1

On 10/20/2021 at 12:09 PM, b3nnyb said:

Hello everyone 

Do you feel Pettersson is not the same player that we expect him to be?

Looking back at the comparisons made to Gretzky and McDavid looks absurd

There is a reason why many scouts had ranked him lower than where he was picked but we’re treating him like a 1st overall pick

Has the time come to stop these silly comparisons to the legends and accept that he’s at best a 1B/2A C?

I wish you were the GM. I know you would’ve picked Makar. I just know it.

6 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Why do we do this to our players?  Put this kind of nonsense out here?  It can generate some momentum and become one of those dark clouds hanging over us.  Let's support our players instead of trashing them.

I remember when he was drafted....not many expected him to be what he is.  A lot of crying over who we should have taken.  Then Petey showed us his stuff and all of a sudden everyone clambered on board the train.  So make up your mind?  All players have peaks and valleys....he's coming off a LONG layoff - the injury then the contract stuff.  Give him time to get up to speed again.

He's his own worst critic and is likely being very hard on himself - we don't need to do it for him.  He'll be fine.  All of a sudden his contract talks have put him in a light where people are demanding results (rightfully so) without giving him time to shake off the rust and get his timing back.  We're JUST out of the gates with Petey...if he's still struggling 20 games in then maybe we can start worrying?  Sure, there is a little concern but he's a great player and has shown us what he's capable of.  How quickly we forget.

You’re a mod Deb. Many on here come here to denigrate our team. Free speech is indeed a thing.

But when that free speech has an eternal negative tone on monotone, perhaps those “fans” can be weeded out.

This is not a public site. This is a private site. And with a lot of influence out there.

An influence perhaps even as equal to our most loved radio hosts, incidentally also denigrating our team.

So many posters only post negative comments. That is then a question of character; not the site’s responsibility to retain them.

Critique is fine. But there are around 15-20 loud posters who come here just to b**ch our team out for the sakes of b**ching our team out and have nothing else to contribute.

Getting rid of 15-20 bad apples would only make this site spectacular. But with them in here, it makes the experience mediocre at best. 

And I love this site.

Edited by Me_
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 2

32 minutes ago, stawns said:

Completely disagree.  Miller is a gem. Just what this team has needed for years.

Laughable that anyone would promote him as trade bait at this point.  He's only led the team in points his first year here, then a close second to Boeser the next. This season, so far, he is tied for first with Garland.

And its not only the point production, it IS that ornery attitude that is precisely why we need him. Again, I have to laugh at posters who cry about some Swedish influence of passivity and lack of emotion. Then we finally get a more passionate player who plays with his heart on his sleeve, and its......"oh my lord..I think I have the vapors.  Trade him immediately so I don't have to watch a man get angry about losing!"

You know Bo has smashed a few sticks.  Is he next on the hit list?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1